VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are You Lazy Because You File A Claim

Rate this question

Hoppy

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Don your idea is good. However, I had all ready gone to the trouble to type this up. I will try to refrain from telling VSO stories. I have some good VSO stories and some that are not so good.

I have gotten side tracked. I am still working on a post about legislative change.

While in the offices of my VSO a couple of VSO’s were standing behind the desk made a statement loud enough that the entire office could hear what they were saying. There were about a half a dozen veterans in the office. This office was large and located in a very large city. They were commenting that they did not think there was anything wrong with some veteran they had just seen and that he was “just lazy”.

As a student of psychology in the University of California (UC) system the subject of laziness came up on numerous occasions. Here are some of the constructs taught by UC educators.

Cross cultural studies show that statistically the desire to contribute to the group or social structure is very predominant and that members who do not contribute are in the large minority. If defining normalcy by what is done by the majority, laziness is considered abnormal. Psychologists who advance theories of innate behaviour consider laziness to be the result of enculturation that has gone against natural tendencies. Laziness is part of more complex and deeper psychological symptoms, especially depression.

Behaviorists define depression as “learned helplessness”. They cause motivation loss in lab rats by alternating reward and punishment in such a way that the rat can no long evaluate the association between his actions and the result of the actions. Or, when the result of an action is contrary to the original goal. Depression is central in many psychiatric diagnoses.

Point being, that when some says that there is nothing wrong with the guy, he is “just lazy” or refers to some as a lazy a__hole. Tell them this. Thanks for advancing my claim. I am not a lazy a__hole nor am I “just lazy”. I am a “lazy schizophrenic”, or a “lazy bipolar” or I am having a “lazy depressive episode”.

In the early day of dealing with my angioedema, I was having difficulty working and keeping jobs. A friend of ine told me he was the supervisor of his department and that he would hire me to work at his aerospace plant. I did not call him because by that time I was of the opinion that if I went to work in his plant I would wind up in the ER in short order. I found out later that the supervisor had told another friend that I was lazy. After that when people asked me what kind of condition I had, I told them I had a disease called “Spirococus Lazicus”. I told them it made it so I could not work and I had to hang around the beach all the time. What is funny is that I probably worked for another ten years dodging bullets with this bizarre disease.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hoppy

When I worked for the USPS they put at a table for the "Sick, lazy and Crazy" because I tore my rotator cuff. I really love those people to death.