VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc-Rehab "education Plan?"

Rate this question

ping jockey

Question

Hello,

Been a while since I've posted, and I spent a few hours trying to find the answers to my quesitions tonight.

I do want to extend my thanks to T-bird, Berta, and all the Elders who support this site. Because of you I'm now rated 60% instead of 10%. :biggrin:

Currently, I'm trudging the road toward Voc Rehab approval, and here is the situ.

I finish my Accounting Degree in 8 months.

I applied for VR in Nov to get my masters degree.

Getting a CPA license now requires 150 college credits.

The masters program starts Spring 2012; Fall 2011 in not realistic.

Met with counselor.

Dr. Cleared me for training.

VRC told me to gather ALL the education info for getting a CPA license.

I submitted it, and he's asking for an "Education Plan".

I have to finish my Accounting Degree before getting into the Master Program.

Counselor, says my application can't stay in "one" status to long, and he is asking my permission to "disconnect my claim".

1. What is an "Education Plan"?

2. Should I disconnect my claim, and reapply in 2/3 months?

3. Should I keep it active, and move forward?

4. Is keeping an application in "one status" a real issue for the VRC, and/or me?

5. What's the big deal on time? It's takes a lot of time, and work to prep for Grad School anyway.

6. HOW do I keep this alive, and moving forward?

Again, thank you all for your dedication to helping Vets.

I had many dark nights at sea, and for 5 years after discharge.

Discovering Hadit was like seeing the crack of dawn, and experiencing the calm after a Typhoon in the South Pacific.

sorry you are having problems with your counselor I must be one of the lucky ones to get a good one first time I wish you could have the same one as I have but the bad news is she is gonna retire half way through my schooling

make sure they get you a new computer for school

they will give you forms for reimbursement of stuff like printer cartridges, internet service

i get 35 a semester added to my school acct for supplies

just wish i could get transportation covered its 50 miles one way

• HadIt.com Elder

ping

My advise is if you want to change anything not on your degree plan to talk to your voc rehab councilor. They are very anal about any changes even when it only an elective

Your right - DON'T GO AWAY!!! Be strong, dont give up keep trying. I am in Voc Rehab and I now have a great cousleor who has whole heartedly helped me, gotten me extras and truly wants me to succeed.

I have also had terrible counselors, never helped, rude, cold, bitchy but I requested 3 times over many weeks and then FINALLY got a new great counselor! You have to just keep trying, you may have to submit things (ie new counselor request) 2,3,4 times before you get what you want and MAY have to include their managers or go higher if that dosent work. I am proof of that,YOU CAN DO IT- Yeah it's not easy, can suck at times, an make you stress out but with support on here or family, wife,friend,dog whatever keep trying my brother veteran. And good luck.

YES -earlier post said Voc Rehab can get you a laptop and even a printer- you need to speak to a school counselor and have them simly type a letter saying you need a laptop because your SC issues make it hard to use the on campus Compuer lab- it allows you to do your work on your laptop at home wher YOU will be more COMFORTABLE. But make sure you smile to that school counselor/advisor when asking for it, they may feel uncomfortable with writing it as many have never seen this before.

Good luck mi amigo!

PS:you will be less stressed in changing counselors as well so you can focus better on your studies and complating education - put this in ur letter! Make ur letter about this being a necessary positive change but do so being logical, respectful, no foul language but demanding- you are a disabled veteran and have earned these rights, your served, put yourself to protect your country and now you need her to help you succeed!

Edited by Aquabear

I am a great example of the eligibility dates on this. I was SC'd back in 1997 but I still am qualified for Vocational Rehab qualifying limit of 12 years. Two reasons; first my SC'd is aggravated by my current position. Here is the story. In 1990 I was certified as a Florida Corrections Officer. It was in 1994 I was discharged for my injuries from active duty. Well I went back into Corrections at that point. In 2002 I took some classes in Information Systems and in 2003 I obtain a nice career change in IT. Well, in 2009 that position was eliminated so I had not choice but to go back in Corrections (believe me that was the last thing I wanted to do because I knew what would happen). Well it is 2011 and because of my current position aggravating my SCd condition the VA Counselor told me they had a Legal Obligation to approve me for Vocational Rehab.

As for disconnecting your claim, you can disconnect it anytime and then activate it again. Once you are approved you are approved from what my counselor stated.