VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vso

Rate this question

carlie

Question

The first VSO that ever represented my claim was with the DAV in Florida, this was about 1978.

While we were doing my paperwork he told me I had a good solid claim but not to be too hopeful

because he too had a good solid claim of his own that he had been working on for 5 or 6 years.

Just passing this on - and not making any judgements.

carlie

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Carrie- the other day I checked my claim at 800# and the vet rep mentioned to me his claim has been in the system for over 4 years-

another 800# guy I know who used to come to the local VA as a VSO-he told me his claim had been in the system for 6 years-

VA employees are often as frustrated as all other claimants when they have filed SC claims-

The system is overwhelmed but I have heard that for decades and still nothing is done about it-

even if the VA could hire more claims help, the training takes time.

But I sure believe SOs and vet reps could do a better job in giving vets some options as to how to support their claims.

Unfortunately many claims become long draw out arguments that only a good IMO could resolve.

I think that is unfair to vets and I feel these vet orgs should have a IMO fund to advance this IMO money to vets.Of course that is just a dream.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta

I think this is why we may need lawyers from day one. If, however, it still takes 4 years to win a claim I wonder how the lawyer gets paid. They are not going to represent people if they have to wait half a decade to get paid. Maybe this is what Craige is counting on when he advocates lawyers for vets instead of SO's. When they do something that seems right these politicians always have a hidden agenda. They can starve out a compensation system by just not having enough rating officers.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA and 3 Service Organizations don't want us to have lawyers. I wonder why that is?

Berta

I think this is why we may need lawyers from day one. If, however, it still takes 4 years to win a claim I wonder how the lawyer gets paid. They are not going to represent people if they have to wait half a decade to get paid. Maybe this is what Craige is counting on when he advocates lawyers for vets instead of SO's. When they do something that seems right these politicians always have a hidden agenda. They can starve out a compensation system by just not having enough rating officers.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta,

Your paid IMO is what I was getting at in my proposal. I just called them doctors pre-screened and choosen by the veterans advocate. The sooner the doctor gets involved the better.

John999

In my proposal I did not push to eliminate VSO's, just for the reason you pointed out. There will not be enough lawyers to go around. They need to restructure the compensation of VSO's or figure out some other way to inuure that the VSO's stay on their toes. In the absence of such a plan they should pay back pay on any claim that is denied and later awarded as the the result of the failure in duty to assist, develop the evidence or any other reason.

• HadIt.com Elder

If we had lawyers the VSO's would be out of business except for running a tavern, bad food and cheaper drinks. That is all the AL and VFW are about in my town. My DAV post is pathetic. It looks like visiting day at the nursing home.

The system is overwhelmed but I have heard that for decades and still nothing is done about it-

even if the VA could hire more claims help, the training takes time.

But I sure believe SOs and vet reps could do a better job in giving vets some options as to how to support their claims.

Unfortunately many claims become long draw out arguments that only a good IMO could resolve.

I think that is unfair to vets and I feel these vet orgs should have a IMO fund to advance this IMO money to vets.Of course that is just a dream.

The whole system needs to be overhauled.

In Georgia, if you go to any of the Vet groups, you get referred to the State Verteran's Rep. The two we have had, did the paperwork, but after that, never heard one word from them.

The last experience we had my husband needed to send his Form 9 to appeal the decision of our NOD. My husband called the guy, he was cheerful and said come on in. When he got there, the guy proceeded to chew my husband out. He was a retired Major and my husband told him, I am not in the service anymore and don't deserve to be treated like this. At least the guy sent the paperwork up to Atlanta, but I could have done that.

This is not to put down the Veteran's groups. I know some people who have gotten tremendous help from them on their VA claims. I guess it depends on where you are at.