VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I File For 100% Schedular?

Rate this question

MikeS

Question

Hi all:

I have been tdiu t&p for ptsd since 2002.

Ptsd is rated at 70%.

Recently, I have been told by my va docs that my major depression has gotten worse.

The phych doc added new depression meds.

Can I file for major depression secondary to ptsd??

Thank you,

Mike S.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You have the most protected rating that you can get. Unless you think that you can get to 160% and more money you should leave it alone. If your Doc says you are agoraphobic you can get more money.

Good Luck

Hi all:

I have been tdiu t&p for ptsd since 2002.

Ptsd is rated at 70%.

Recently, I have been told by my va docs that my major depression has gotten worse.

The phych doc added new depression meds.

Can I file for major depression secondary to ptsd??

Thank you,

Mike S.

Guest DON20906

Not true. There are no secondary mental conditions to mental conditions. That's different from a mental condition secondary to a medical condition. You can only get one evaluation for metal conditions, regardless of the number of discreet diagnoses in your assessment. VA rates the entire psych picture and assigns one disability evaluation based on a four axis DSM-IV assessment that includes all diagnosed clinical disorders under Axis I such Posttraumatic Stress Disorder with Major Depressive Disorder and Agoraphobia. Axis II is Personality Disorder and Mental Retardation, Axis II is General Medical Conditions and Axis 4 is Global Assessment of Functioning. The GAF score most closely approximates the General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders that VA uses to evaluate.

You have the most protected rating that you can get. Unless you think that you can get to 160% and more money you should leave it alone. If your Doc says you are agoraphobic you can get more money.

Good Luck

Guest DON20906

If you're IU, I'd leave it alone, because it could give the RO an exuse to reevaluate your employability before you hit five years.

Good Luck

A very good point Don-

However- there are many remands at the BVA where vets are claiming depression as secondary to PTSD-

and I know some have succeeded-

It would only be of benefit-I believe- If the vet got say 30% for the PTSD but then a secondary rating for depression (or for side affects of its meds if found secondary) which VA would could combine and it would put them into a higher comp rate-