VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Improper Exam?

Rate this question

togb68

Question

I was recently reevaluated for TBI and a hip injury at QTC. Nevermind that my claim was filed in 2009, and forget that I was seen by an internal medicine doc. But why the pressure to undergo a PAP and rectal exam?? Yes I said PAP. Not pelvic. I listed no bowel or other issues. When I declined the exam both the doc and his assistant indicated that my claim would be denied. I prefer to only let the GYN that I chose perform this procedure. Plus he was creepy. Will or can they deny my claim for this? I did contact the VA IG and hotline, but no response.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I've gotten used to the lack of or no communication, and I understand that I am but one vet of thousands. But I feel violated. Sexually violated by both the doctor and the system. Have others had to go through this too?

tog,

What are you currently SC'd for and at what percentage for each disability, if more than one.

You did not actually go thru with this exam - correct ?

I was reexamined today. I had received a notice for a C&P exam, but it didn't state why. When I got to VA, I asked what it was for, and they said TBI. When I got to the doctor, he seemed surprised that I had already been evaluated by QTC--but that record was missing. He called the regional office--apparently today's exam was to replace the improper one. The doc told me off the record that the particular QTC physician was now off of the roles because of other complaints. Things seems better, but still moving slow. He told me it would just be a mild concussion since I only had amnesia for a period of 24 hours, and the residual issues are headaches, balance and memory loss. The depression he believes may be separate from the injury. Heck, I've only been back from Astan two years... guess I can wait some more at this point.

Forgot to answer. I declined the PAP and rectal---that's when the QTC doctor told me my claim would be declined. I have asthma (30%) (I believe from burn pits), neck trauma (whiplash), knee injury, and tremors--all at 60% now . Pending is my hip, TBI, and chronic sinus infection (again, I think from the burn pits).

Tog, it's outrageous that you had to go through this, on top of your injuries and the usual VA bs.

The doc told me off the record that the particular QTC physician was now off of the roles because of other complaints.

Oh, that just infuriates me. The QTC slime-ball was fired, when he should be in freaking jail for sexually harassing you.... never mind that you're a vet and this happened to you at the VA facility. And this piece of filth was using his authority as a C&P examiner to try to scare a vet into complying!

"off the roles". Well that's great. I guess that jerk will have to go figure out some other way to pressure his victims...

GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Tog, sorry. This is a sore subject for me. I'm so sorry you're suffering, and I wish you good luck and great speed with getting your claims approved!

Just a quick update on the exam... I had filed a complaint with the VA IG and the Regional Office hotline. On the same day, I received an email from both offices. "Representative 86" from the IG signed a form letter indicating that the matter was closed and that I should contact the Regional Office. The Regional Office responded that the matter was also closed--but didn't say what they were doing/or did. I learned from a friend going through the process that the doctor remains on the rolls, but my particular exam was redone by the VA due to my complaint.

togb68,

For the good of all and your own peace of mind - don't let this rest.

Make inquiries asking why this occurred, what action they took and, if something was improper, what action is being taken to prevent future errors.

I expect better than this from the IG.

When we served the IG wouldn't hesitate to bust your chops; expect no less from those serving US.

Do we need an IG for the IG?