VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Not Sure If I Am In The Right Place

Rate this question

carl1124

Question

I am not sure if I am in the place here so forgive if I am not. Right now I unable to work. I took a fall in mid Dec. and herniated disc in my neck I spent time in the ER room here at the Portland VA and my Doctor put me out of work till at least Feb 7. I went last week to Neurosurgeon at the VA hospital and was told I need surgery, The Neurosurgeon called today and told me it will be at least 6mos till I can get in for the Surgery. I am 40% rated Service connected for my back at 20%, 10% for my hearing and 10% for botched surgery while in the Navy for lower pain said for hernia. My job told me that I am going to loss my job today. I don't what to do I don't meet the SSDI and it will take to long. Any suggestion. Help.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Did your service connected back problem contribute to the fall like an abnormal gate?

What area of the C spine is messed up?

You need surgury as the neck is actually more important than the back as the nerves in the neck at C2 control the heart beat, C3 controls the Diaphragms, C4, C5, C7, C7 controls the muscles to the shoulders, arms, wrist and hands.

Hang in there.

Why dont you qualify for SSDI. is it a time thing? You should call them and ask.

J

I left hand and arm are in pain the doctor said it was C5 and C7. Not are they in pain but I keep dropping things I lose my grip all the time and if feels like it pin and needles. As for Service connected to my back no I just fell on some ice in the parking lot. I don't qualify for SSDI because in is going to be less then a year I hope.

Did your service connected back problem contribute to the fall like an abnormal gate?

What area of the C spine is messed up?

You need surgury as the neck is actually more important than the back as the nerves in the neck at C2 control the heart beat, C3 controls the Diaphragms, C4, C5, C7, C7 controls the muscles to the shoulders, arms, wrist and hands.

Hang in there.

Why dont you qualify for SSDI. is it a time thing? You should call them and ask.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

That is why you have to have surgury. The quicker it is done the less liklyhood for permanent nerve damage to occurr.

Did you slip and fall at work? In the parking lot?

J

Edited by jbasser

Carl,

I'm sorry to hear of your injuries, stress and long wait time for surgery.

You need to implement emergency financial measures now, because it sounds like a rough ride.

Research all aid available thru social and service agencies - maybe make an appointment with Social Services to find out all the rules, limitations etc with different programs.

Main thing is your residence - how will you preserve that? You may need to move in with relatives etc

Please don't wait for the crisis to hit to take drastic action.

All the best! :smile: