VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

149 Days & Counting

Rate this question

OEF 21B

Question

Well, it's been 149 days since I submitted my claim for PTSD. I've added my VA Psych diagnosis for PTSD & Panic Disorder (GAF 47) to my file as well as my Psych treatment notes (I go to the VA once a week for the OEF/OIF Group therapy class) and once a month to visit with my psychologist.

Don't know why it's taking so long, and when I call my DAV rep, he doesn't answer my phone calls. I'm still taking my meds (40mg/day of Citalopram & up to 3- 0.5mg/Xanax a day as needed) and going to ALL of my VA counseling sessions.

Is anyone else experiencing a long wait for an initial rating?

Thanks,

OEF 21B

• Answers 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am on day 259 and my claim is still in Phase 1.

Well, it's been 149 days since I submitted my claim for PTSD. I've added my VA Psych diagnosis for PTSD & Panic Disorder (GAF 47) to my file as well as my Psych treatment notes (I go to the VA once a week for the OEF/OIF Group therapy class) and once a month to visit with my psychologist.

Don't know why it's taking so long, and when I call my DAV rep, he doesn't answer my phone calls. I'm still taking my meds (40mg/day of Citalopram & up to 3- 0.5mg/Xanax a day as needed) and going to ALL of my VA counseling sessions.

Thanks,

OEF 21B

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks,

OEF 21B

OEF, 4-5 months is NOT a "long wait". Well, I agree that 4-5 months IS long enough, but, when, like me, your initial rating ONLY took 40 months.................well I guess it gives you a "different" perspective on "things VA".

Having said that, if you had been "counseled" to file a VA Form 21-526EZ "Fully Developed Claim Notice" www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-526EZ-ARE.pdf , then you may have had a LOT shorter wait. I have had very good luck with this form and am getting back positive outcomes in as little as 30 days.

Edited by LarryJ

I agree Larry and is probably why he is not answering the phone or calling back.

Take it easy and relax we are all in the same boat. It is harder with PTSD but keep getting the help and talk to your counselor about it.

I have been waiting for a reply for going on 7 month

Everything was has been done

Called my disabled american veterans rep and she told me , my claim was waiting to go to the rater , you just have to wait in line

I was also told most claims for ptsd now take up to10 to 12 months

We passed the 149-day mark long ago. We are now on day 198 for PTSD, elbow, tinnitus and bilateral hearing loss. We submitted the claim, then I had to hunt down the service records and submit them ourselves, also have had 2 C&P exams so far (elbow and ptsd) with the final on Friday. I was told that the claims (goal) should be completed within 160-days, however, that doesn't seem true.

Have you been scheduled for C&P exam yet? Do you have other issues? Where is your claim in the process? Even after you've had all exams, it takes some time to get it all to the RO, then sits there until it goes to a rater. Then on to someone else before you get your determination. All I can advise it to hurry up and wait, no different than when you were in the service.

This process is not really designed to help, so you must help yourself. Take advantage of all the VA has to offer, keep getting the help you need. The money will be there eventually. At least it will be a bigger retro check.

I submitted my claim in 2009. I just had my C&P exam in December 2010. I checked through IRIS and was told that my medical report had just recently been received. So, I guess my file is in line and I'm going to have to settle down and wait.