VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

149 Days & Counting

Rate this question

OEF 21B

Question

Well, it's been 149 days since I submitted my claim for PTSD. I've added my VA Psych diagnosis for PTSD & Panic Disorder (GAF 47) to my file as well as my Psych treatment notes (I go to the VA once a week for the OEF/OIF Group therapy class) and once a month to visit with my psychologist.

Don't know why it's taking so long, and when I call my DAV rep, he doesn't answer my phone calls. I'm still taking my meds (40mg/day of Citalopram & up to 3- 0.5mg/Xanax a day as needed) and going to ALL of my VA counseling sessions.

Is anyone else experiencing a long wait for an initial rating?

Thanks,

OEF 21B

• Answers 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Looks like your claim is moving pretty fast to me. Texas has one of the highest number of veterans in the country so you should be happy with where you stand. I filed my claim in April '10 and didn't get a C&P exam until the end of November. I received a letter from the VA two weeks later stating that my claim was at the RO and would be reviewed in the order it was received. That's the last I heard from them until today, when I got a call from them asking for information about my daughter. My anniversary is coming up next month but I'm not holding my breath.

This is the Boston VARO in case anyone was wondering what the time line is like for this particular office.

Good luck!

I'm at 192 days today... got a nice letter from the VA stating that they were still working on my claim and that I would hear from them as soon as my case was decided. This is the 3rd form letter that I've gotten from the Waco Regional Office.

I keep attending my weekly VA OEF/OIF group meetings and seeing my Psychologist twice a month... My VA Psychiatrist up my meds to 60 mg/day of Citalopram and started me on another anti-depressant... and I thought I was getting better since our last visit!!! :unsure:

I'm just assuming that the VARO is swamped with new claims and it's just going to take a while. I'm not in any real hurry, other than it's funny how "they" said that the new VA regs would "speed up" the process, and it seems like it has for some, but for others, it seems like nothing has changed.

Looks like your claim is moving pretty fast to me. Texas has one of the highest number of veterans in the country so you should be happy with where you stand. I filed my claim in April '10 and didn't get a C&P exam until the end of November. I received a letter from the VA two weeks later stating that my claim was at the RO and would be reviewed in the order it was received. That's the last I heard from them until today, when I got a call from them asking for information about my daughter. My anniversary is coming up next month but I'm not holding my breath.

This is the Boston VARO in case anyone was wondering what the time line is like for this particular office.

Good luck!

246 days and still waiting patiently... My VA Doc is starting me on long term exposure therapy and my VA Psychiatrist upped my Citalopram to 60mg/day and started me on Buspiron for sexual side effects for the Citalopram. Still going to my weekly OEF/OIF Group therapy and meeting with my Doc twice a month.

Hope everyone here is doing well...

OEF 21B

• HadIt.com Elder

After you get your rating don't stop going to therapy or taking meds. Many vets just get the rating and then stop going or taking meds. Big mistake. You want to stay in treatment either at VA or private for the rest of your days. This way you build mountain of documentation for those increases. Don't tell doctor you feel better either.

After you get your rating don't stop going to therapy or taking meds. Many vets just get the rating and then stop going or taking meds. Big mistake. You want to stay in treatment either at VA or private for the rest of your days. This way you build mountain of documentation for those increases. Don't tell doctor you feel better either.

Thanks John! I hear you loud and clear... if it wasn't for the meds, I wouldn't even be able to make it to work. Thankfully, I've got an understanding boss and the drugs are helping as well as the weekly group meetings & 2-monthly individual sessions. I found out the other day that the VA didn't have my 2nd tour to A-Stan in their system and they were going to end my treatment until I showed them that my last deployment ended in April 2009.

As for the rating, it's been sitting in the "development phase" since I filed the initial claim back on 31 Aug 2010. I'm not expecting anything anytime soon and I keep ALL of my VA appointments. One of these days, I guess the Waco VARO will get around to my file and take a look at it...

Thanks for the reply!

Just receved a reply from the DAV NSO at Waco and he said that all of the Nehmer/Agen Orange cases have taken priority over all other ratings and that my rating will most likely take longer than a year while the VA attempts to meet the court ordered dates.

I hope that they can work through the Nehmer backlog before my 5-year VA care runs out in 2013!

God bless all of the Viet Nam vets & their families and I hope your claims are processed quickly!!!