VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

149 Days & Counting

Rate this question

OEF 21B

Question

Well, it's been 149 days since I submitted my claim for PTSD. I've added my VA Psych diagnosis for PTSD & Panic Disorder (GAF 47) to my file as well as my Psych treatment notes (I go to the VA once a week for the OEF/OIF Group therapy class) and once a month to visit with my psychologist.

Don't know why it's taking so long, and when I call my DAV rep, he doesn't answer my phone calls. I'm still taking my meds (40mg/day of Citalopram & up to 3- 0.5mg/Xanax a day as needed) and going to ALL of my VA counseling sessions.

Is anyone else experiencing a long wait for an initial rating?

Thanks,

OEF 21B

• Answers 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Was this your first PTSD exam Process, and recommended treatment ? Or are you requesting an increase to an existing PTSD level ?

• HadIt.com Elder

You can also continue to go to Vet Centers if the VA starts funny business. Have you had your C&P exam yet? What was your MOS in Afghanistan? I think your claim will be decided probably by the end of the year. If not then it will happen in 2013. Find a way to stay in some kind of treatment even if you have a problem with the VA, God forbid. You need to show your symptoms are continuing and you are moving heaven and earth to get treatment.

You can also continue to go to Vet Centers if the VA starts funny business. Have you had your C&P exam yet? What was your MOS in Afghanistan? I think your claim will be decided probably by the end of the year. If not then it will happen in 2013. Find a way to stay in some kind of treatment even if you have a problem with the VA, God forbid. You need to show your symptoms are continuing and you are moving heaven and earth to get treatment.

I was a 21B Combat Engineer on both of my OEF tours. I had my PTSD C&P in October 2010 and my first VA Mental Health visit was in Dec 2010 and I've been going ever since. I don't think that they're going to kick me out of the system now that I got my final OEF tour into the system (orders ended in April 2009), so I should be good to go through March 2014.

I'm still having some issues, but working with my docs at the VA on my meds and group and individual counseling are helping.

I got an e-mail from the DAV VSO at Waco this morning and he said that I should hear something within 12-14 months of my initial claim... so that would be Aug 11 -Oct 11.

Edited by OEF 21B

• HadIt.com Elder

If you had your C&P in October of 2010 I think you should have a decision pretty soon. I think your decision is overdue. You can never tell about these things but the VA has everything they need to rate you.

I love how they do this

I'm a vietnam vet and when I just called about my case I was told that OEF OIF vets are taking precedence over my claim.

They will say whatever they want in an attempt to divide and conquer us vets.

Just remember there really is no priority system that works within the VA. The reason your claim is taking so long is because the VA is a shambles, and there is no system set up, just a next one on the pile system.

Thanks though, I appreciate your attitude and not getting upset by the nehmer cases, like a lot of guys are. I've been waiting nearly 20years for my IHD claim to be approved, and I just got sent to the rater last week. I submitted the nehmer IHD claim two years ago, when the announcement was made. I sure as hell don't feel prioritzed. LOL!:lol:

Just receved a reply from the DAV NSO at Waco and he said that all of the Nehmer/Agen Orange cases have taken priority over all other ratings and that my rating will most likely take longer than a year while the VA attempts to meet the court ordered dates.

I hope that they can work through the Nehmer backlog before my 5-year VA care runs out in 2013!

God bless all of the Viet Nam vets & their families and I hope your claims are processed quickly!!!

Just for reference sake, I feel your pain, but can't complain as some of the other vets wait decades for some decisions. I keep track, only to make sure I don't miss deadlines, but use a spreadsheet to calculate how long some of these have been in the works. It helps (at least makes me feel better) when I contact IRIS, my VSO, etc. to put things in perspective for them:

Issues in the works: Current Status Years Months Days

New claim In Development 0 4 16

Appeal Certification of Appeal 2 2 11

Reconsideration NOD 1 6 3

(VA overlooked my request;

had to NOD at the last minute)

Not that I obsess about time or anything....