VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd C&p Results

Rate this question

Kim82

Question

Hey guys, so I went to the local ROI office here in Las Vegas and got copies of all of my C&P and my medical records. I want to post my C&P from my PTSD exam so you guys can look at it and tell me what you think the VA will give me based on what the Dr. has said.

Compensation and Pension Examination

Initial Evaluation for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

Date of Exam: October 28, 2010

PRESENT MEDICAL HISTORY – OVER THE PAST ONE YEAR.

Frequency, severity, duration of medical and psychiatric symptoms: The Veterans asthma is daily and mild, and she also complains of back pain which is daily and moderate. Knee pain is also daily and moderate. She also states that depression is daily and moderate to severe, with her anxiety being daily and severs. This woman rates herself at 9/10 anxiety-severity scale. Her score by self rating on a comparable scale for depression is 7/10. The self ratings are consistent with my clinical observations.

Length of remissions, to include capacity for adjustments during periods of remissions: None

PRE MILITARY HISTORY

Family structure and environment: The Veteran lived with her father, one brother, and two sisters. She is married and had two children prior to entering the service.

Quality of Peer Relationships: Good

Education: The Veteran graduated from High School

Employment History: She worked in sales and customer service prior to military service.

Legal Infractions: None

Delinquency or Behavior conduct disturbances: None

Substance Use: None

Significant Medical Problems/Treatment: None

Family Psychiatric History: None

Exposure to Traumatic Stressors: The Veterans’ mother was murdered in 1985.

SUMMARY ASSESSMENT: While this veteran was exposed to the trauma of her mother being murdered she actually functioned at a quite high level prior to entering the service. She graduated from H.S. and was able to maintain employment. She had no particular interpersonal or psychiatric problems, and she described the quality of her peer relationships as being “good”

MILITARY HISTORY:

BRANCH OF SERVICE: Army

Dates of Service: 2006-Present

Dates and location of war zone duty and number of months stationed in war zone: The Veteran was stationed in Iraq from December 2006-May 2007

Military Occupational Specialty: 88M Truck Driver

Highest rank obtained during service: PFC

Type of discharge from military: Honorable

Substance use: None

Combat wounds: Internal bleeding from an IED in February 2007

Specific stressor event considered particularly traumatic: The Veteran’s truck was hit with an IED, being shot at on a daily basis.

Overall level of traumatic exposure based on frequency and severity of incident: Moderate to severe

POST MILITARY PSYCHOSOCIAL ADJUSTMENT:

Marital and Family Relationships: The Veteran was married may 2007 and has three children.

Degree and quality of Social Relationships: Her relationship with her children is at a good status, but with her family members, co-workers, and friends are fair.

Activities and Leisure Pursuits: She states she has no time for any hobbies.

Substance Use: None

Significant Medical Disorders: None

Treatment History for Significant Medical Conditions: None

Summary: The Veteran obviously experienced deterioration in her level of functioning on a post service basis. Whereas previously her general interpersonal relationships were “good” no they are only fair. She is made very uncomfortable by certain “triggers” such as certain parts of the desert that remind her of Iraq. She complains that her husband says that she is now “different” and she acknowledges that her own children “get on my nerves” She told me that she has been trying to get help for 7 months from the VA but she feels that she is being discriminated against because “they did not want females in an infantry battalion” She has experienced disillusionment with the leadership of the Army and the country to be extent that she now feels that the Iraq war was “pointless” In contrast to her previously outgoing style of functioning, she now avoids traveling outside of the city and even her own children. As noted above she is now significantly anxious and depressed, both of which are typical symptoms of PTSD.

ASSESSMENT OF PTSD:

Identify primary stressors: The primary stressor in this case is clearly the veteran’s combat experiences, as detailed earlier in this report.

State if the veteran meets the DSM-IV stressor criterion: The veteran meets the DSM-IV stressor criteria for post traumatic stress.

Identify behavioral, cognitive, social, affective, or somatic changes the veteran attributes to stress exposure: The veteran has become very distrustful of the leadership of this country, which contributes to a significant feeling of insecurity. She is now anxious and depressed, and her sleep is disturbed. She is made extremely uncomfortable brought on by various triggers, such as parts of the desert around Las Vegas remind her of Iraq. She has interpersonal difficulties, now only getting along with others in a fair manner. She even has difficulty in tolerating her own children unfortunately. Her husband is complaining that she is now “different” obviously not regarding this as a positive change.

Describe specific PTSD symptoms present: Anxiety, depression, and negative reactions to stimuli that are reminiscent of Iraq. She has the predicted interpersonal problems, not only with others but within her own family and as detailed earlier in this report.

Specify onset/frequency/severity of symptoms: The onset was during combat, and the symptoms have been moderate to severe and continuous, without remission since her return from the war.

State is the current symptoms are linked to the identified stressor: The symptoms are definitely and are directly linked to the stress of combat, as shown by her negative reaction to scenes that remind her of her experiences in Iraq.

Diagnosis:

The veteran meets criteria for PTSD.

DIAGNOSTIC STATUS:

Axis I Disorders: Post traumatic stress disorder, associated with depression.

Axis II Disorders: None

Axis III Disorders: Asthma and orthopedic disorder as discussed above.

Axis IV Disorders: Moderate coping with anxiety, interpersonal and psychosocial/environmental stressors familiar difficulties, and financial pressures.

Axis V (Current GAF): 60

CAPACITY TO MANAGE FINANCIAL AFFAIRS: In my opinion the veteran is competent to manage her own VA benefit payments in her own best interest.

STRESSOR STATEMENT IN RELATION TO VETERANS FEAR TO HOSTILE MILITARY OR TERRORSIT ACTIVITY: The PTSD claimed by the veteran has been related specifically to her fear of hostile military and possible terrorist activity.

INTEGRATED SUMMARY AND CONCLUSIONS:

Changes in psychosocial functional status following trauma exposure: The veteran has clearly suffered a major deterioration in her ability to function both occupationally and interpersonally. She is now only able to relate to others in a “fair” manner, and she even has difficulty in toleration her own children. She is frequently uncomfortable by stimuli that remind her of combat experience and she is additionally frequently sleep deprived.

Changes in quality of life following trauma exposure: There has clearly been deterioration in this veteran’s quality of life.

Describe linkage between PTSD symptoms and aforementioned changes in impairment in functional status and quality of life: The deterioration in this veteran’s life and her presenting symptoms are clearly related to her combat experiences and that she functioned at a much higher level prior to entering the United States Army having had no significant psychiatric problems prior to her entrance into the service.

Extent to which disorders other than PTSD are independently responsible for impairment in psychosocial adjustment and quality of life: No other disorders appear relevant to me.

Describe pre trauma risk factors/characteristics that may have rendered the veteran vulnerable to developing PTSD subsequent to trauma exposure: While the murder of her mother might be regarded as a risk factor, the veteran actually appeared to deal with that quite well, being able to graduate from high school and maintain employment and secure induction into the United States Army. Therefore, I believe that she actually entered the Army with no preexisting risk factors for the development of my psychiatric disorder.

Prognosis for improvement of psychiatric condition and impairments in functional status: Good given her age and her desire to receive help, which she expressed to me on a number of occasions.

Capacity in managing benefit payments in veteran’s own best interest: No limitation

EFFECTS OF PTSD ON OCCUPATIONAL AND SOCIAL FUNCTIONING:

Statement: There is reduced reliability and productivity due to PTSD signs and symptoms.

Example: This veteran now suffers interpersonal difficulties and she is frequently uncomfortable around stimuli that remind her of Iraq she even has difficulty in tolerating her own children, and she has marital problems in the sense her husband regards her as now being “different” in a negative way.

I know it's a lot to read and I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to read this.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thank you Joe, I am still dealing with the aftermath of all of this. I am in therapy now and on welbutrin and ambien. I have tried several other antidepressants that really made things worse for me so I am hoping that the welbutrin works for me. I need something to take this edge off. I have also aquired a service dog through a non profit here in Vegas and he has been a big help to me with getting me out of the house and things like that. Before I could sit inside all day and night and not go outside. I feel safe away from everyone, but being that Charlie is a dog and needs to be walked and use the bathroom I don't really have a choice so it's a good thing. I have also been diagnosed as being Vitamin D defficient and that is attributed to the PTSD, don't get enough sun I guess. I will be on a vit d suppliment for that as well. Pretty soon I am going to be like my dad whos a Vietnam Vet taking a bunch of pills everyday just to survive. And that is what I think about a lot, what am I going to be like 30 years from now? Am I going to be better or am I going to be worse? It feels like I am just falling apart mentally and physically most days. I was also told after and MRI that I have Sinusitis with polyps oh joy something else to add to my already long list of ailments. I haven't even reached my 30th bday yet I feel about 70. As I am sure many of you can relate. Anyhow enough of my rambling lol. Have a good one.

Wanted to add that I am still serving in the Reserves and have about 3 years left out of my 8 year commitment. I am also going through a MEB for all of this and will probably be medically retired or boarded out of the military. I recently was promoted to E4 so at least I have something to show for my 5 years of service. I don't want to be an NCO anyhow too much responsibility and I don't want to have to deal with young privates and try to lead them, I am probably not the best person for that right now anyhow.

Another thing I wanted to add that has been bugging the crap out of me is my short term memory. It has been getting so bad to the point where I will think of a website I want to go to and once I click on the address bar to type in the link I totally forget what site I was going to go to. It is driving me insane!!! I can't take it anymore I have to bookmark just about everything so I can find my way to where ever it is I need to go. Like this site If it was not saved in my favorites I would not remember how to get back here. This crap is going to cause me to pull my hair out from going crazy trying to remember things...anyone else have this same issue?

• HadIt.com Elder

Wanted to add that I am still serving in the Reserves and have about 3 years left out of my 8 year commitment. I am also going through a MEB for all of this and will probably be medically retired or boarded out of the military. I recently was promoted to E4 so at least I have something to show for my 5 years of service. I don't want to be an NCO anyhow too much responsibility and I don't want to have to deal with young privates and try to lead them, I am probably not the best person for that right now anyhow.

Another thing I wanted to add that has been bugging the crap out of me is my short term memory. It has been getting so bad to the point where I will think of a website I want to go to and once I click on the address bar to type in the link I totally forget what site I was going to go to. It is driving me insane!!! I can't take it anymore I have to bookmark just about everything so I can find my way to where ever it is I need to go. Like this site If it was not saved in my favorites I would not remember how to get back here. This crap is going to cause me to pull my hair out from going crazy trying to remember things...anyone else have this same issue?

Yes. It got so bad with me that I would forget............wait a minute......what was the question?

So, my Wife bought me a IPad. Best thing I ever did, using this thing. I can actually function pretty well with it. EVERYTHING goes into the IPad.................unless I forget to put it in. I usually have about 2 minutes.

I also got gifted (by the Wife) with a Garmin GPS and I use the heck outta that thing also.

And, it's all, in my case, due to the PTSD and the MDD and the medications. As it is with you also, I'd wager.

I am glad you are not in Mo as for some unknown reason they look at the GAF and award accordingly to that which would be around a 30%.. Even if and as you have all the evidence of your problems/behavior/and depressive states listed one cannot be sure how the rater will determine you claim. I hope the best for you and that you receive the assistance you need at your local VAMC or outreach clinic.

Thats not at all true halos2. I wish some of you would post your proof and stats to back up your statements. Its easy to spout off statements without research. Leaves negative assumptions by others that may have to deal with the said MO VAMAC. GAF scores is only ONE item they look at. They do NOT award only based on your GAF???

Chu Lai69 Instead you you trying to discredit members here on hadit YOU NEED TO READ THEIR POSTS!! I have been on this site about 3 years and when I post I do so from personal knowledge, experience,research, and for those I have worked with in MO on their claims!! ADDITIONAL ONES IN TEXAS, AND MICHIGAN, AND VIRGINIA TOO! There is no where in my post do I state or post what you claim to have read!! It would be wiser to read and possibly reread one's posts before you spout out untruthful statements. Too bad you can't read the entire post where it contains..even if you have all the evidence...ONE CANNOT BE SURE HOW THE RATER WILL DETERMINE YOUR CLAIM.

BE MY GUEST AND READ MY OLD POSTS. I AM NOT IN THE HABIT OF WRITING THE SAME INFO OVER AND OVER AGAIN. BTW HOW MANY VETS HAVE YOU WON CLAIMS FOR? ALSO HOW MANY PRINTERS HAVE YOU GONE THROUGH WORKING ON VETERANS CLAIMS, RESEARCH, HOURS SPENT,PURCHASED PERSONAL LIBRARY BOOKS ON VETERANS CLAIM?

I HAVE DEGREES IN SCIENCE, NURSING, AND BUSINESS AND DEVOTE YEARS HELPING VETS. I can no longer work, and have devoted my time to help people by writing/saying what has worked for me/them and how to use the VALID information they receive first hand too!

NO WHERE DOES IT STATE THE AWARD IS BASED ON GAF'S...IT IS ELEMENTARY THAT IF ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT CLAIMS, IT IS A COMPONENT USED(ONE OF THE COMPONENTS) USED.

"I HOPE THE BEST FOR YOU AND THAT YOU RECEIVE THE ASSISTANCE YOU NEED AT YOUR LOCAL VAMC OR OUTREACH CLINIC." WHERE DO YOU READ NEGATIVE ASSUMPTIONS IN THAT SENTENCE ON DEALING WITH MO VAMC? BTW WHAT IS A VAMAC??

Also I find it strange YOU WANT TO START A RUMOR RANT...(as you posted...), well do it somewhere else!! I am not here to play games, and ALL of my fellow vets and PERSONAL FRIENDS here are ONLY HERE TO HELP OUR FELLOW VETS AND EACH OTHER!!!!

Thats not at all true halos2. I wish some of you would post your proof and stats to back up your statements. Its easy to spout off statements without research. Leaves negative assumptions by others that may have to deal with the said MO VAMAC. GAF scores is only ONE item they look at. They do NOT award only based on your GAF???

Edited by halos2

Hello, Kim82

YES - my memory is so shot until my walls sometimes look like a giant sticky board! I have a notebook that use to write everything down. My daughter who is such a help to me, constantly reminds me of everything. Sometimes I turn on my computer at work and would just start crying because I could not remember what the heck I was supposed to be doing. Hang in there, there are ways to cope with all of this madness. Take care.

So it has been a while since I have been on here I have be super busy with work, life and everything else in between. I called the Reno VA yesterday and I was informed that they had finally made a decision on my claim but could not tell me what it was over the phone and that I would have something in the mail in the next 15 days or so. Yay for that...boo for not knowing what I am looking forward to.

Other than that I have been going through different tests and trying to figure out everything wrong with me. I had a sleep study done and it was found that I have Mixed Sleep apnea and I am now using the CPAP machine, not the most comfortable thing in the world but it's better than nothing I guess. I will also be going to the Loma Linda VA next week to have the UPPP procedure done I am not looking forward to that at all I hate surgery and I am a big baby when It comes to pain, also they said that the chances of the surgery getting rid of my sleep apnea were about 20% so joy.

I am now working on getting all of my medical records together to submit for my second claim for Migraines, Sleep apnea secondary to PTSD, Tinitus, and hearing loss. I feel as if I am falling apart and I have not even hit 30 yet. It's kind of depressing to know that this is what I have to look forward to as I get older and who knows what else could be wrong with me. It sucks mostly because when I joined the Army I was in the best shape of my life and perfect health and now it's like im 60 years old and have all of these different issues. I am still seeing the VA phsychiatrist and the Vet Center therapist still taking my meds, haven't really seen much improvement with my PTSD but there has been a little so guess it's not entirely a waste. Anyhow I just wanted to update you all. I have been continuing to read the forums and you guys have helped me with so much, so thank you for all of your insight and information.

Edited by Kim82