VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Claim Help

Rate this question

aod0311

Question

Ok, my name is Jeremiah and I served four years in the Marine Corps as an infantryman and on a sniper team. I hurt my back in boot camp and tried getting it taken care of when I was in the school of infantry. When I went in front of the medical officer i was intimidated being a new marine and the officer basically made me admit that I was malingering. First question is there anything that could be done about that? Currently I have a 60% rating. I have 50% for ptsd, 20% for upper back problems, and 10% for tinnites. I recently found out that I have herniated discs L5S1 and sciatic nerve pain from it. I also seen in my records that they said i have mild skoliosis so I pput in a claim for both of those. I recently read the shedule for ptsd and i do believe it should be increased to the 70% mark because I have alot of the tings they said such as relationship problems, anger with limited ability to control it, problems focusing on things like college, motivation problems ugh. I feel like at 26 i shouldnt be having these problems but really im just looking for someone I can talk to about this process and figure out how to use the system, not work it, to get the benefits and things I would rate that I dont even know about. There seems to be a lot I just discovered on this site. Its hard to even get what i really am looking for written down but I guess I just need to talk to someone with more experience to help me figure out how the process works and what i need to do to get things in order. If someone would be willing to message me or talk to me that would be best. I would appreciate the help! Thanks guys for your service to our country and for further service to fellow vets! I have to say finding this website has been a big relief! Now if I can just get all the information i need sorted haha!

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome aod031.

You might want to look at my website. It offers information about researching, organizing and assembling your information....totally free. (see signature below)

I thank you for protecting me and mine.

fanaticbooks

• HadIt.com Elder

My advice would be to be very careful concerning an increased PTSD rating. The current situation, despite recent changes, is not too favorable. Seems, among other things, the VA is taking advantage of the fiduciary regs to take control of veteran's payments and accounts.

This seems to be VA region related, and lawsuits are in the works. Another issue brought on by the changes is that currently, the VA C&P system is the final arbitrator of a PTSD condition. (The new regulations, etc)

As to the problem with the military medical officer, it's not an uncommon one, and often difficult to overcome. What I wonder about is what your exam on discharge had to say. This may have a bearing on your situation.

In general, your back problem may force you to get an independent medical exam and opinion to add evidence to your claim.

Don't know if you are aware, but go to the VA Regional and ask to see your "C" file and go the middle part of it and the very bottom there will be a white envelope which has your medical files. They are from induction to date of discharge. If you have not done this go and look at them and if there is any sick call related to your back have them copy it for you, you can use this as evidence of service connection and new evidence that it was existing while in the Corps. Like someone suggested you can use that and current evidence to raise the current disability. Strictly talking about the back injury. VSO MCLeague

Welcome, Jeremiah!

Sorry to hear of your injuries and frustration, but you've come to the right place.

For many veterans getting to the deserved rating is a gradual process; the fact that you have established service connection is good and works in your favor.

Some folks will go to a Veteran Service Officer for assistance; I recommend working on your claim yourself if you feel up to it.

The reason is you'll work harder on it than anyone.

I believe you should submit a request for increases on the ailments you feel warrant it; they'll schedule you for C & P's like you've already been thru.

It helps to have continuing treatment for these ailments and statements from medical professionals about how it affects your life/ability to work.

Build your case and win it! :smile: