VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veldrina - A Couple Of Questions

Rate this question

Philip Rogers

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I've just found out I've been awarded the same new 10% disability for each of my legs. It also states the bilateral factor is "1.9", which I assume to mean an actual award of 19%, combined, which would round up to 20%. Am I correct, and if not what is the total??? Also, when considering the 100% + 60%, required for SMC, do they use VA math, or normal math, when combining to meet the 60% required???

Thank you!!

pr

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Ah, Philip, i always hated math to begin with, I can't tell you how mystified I am by VA math. It got the the point where they know gave us a VA SMC calculator so we aren't sitting there banging our heads ...but ti still happens. The bilateral factor does bump things up, so your legs should combine to a 20% with the bilateral factor. Not sure what the question is re 100 +60....that;s for the housebound critera, which states that if you have a hundred percent evaluation for a single disability & either an additional disability or combined disabilities that total at least 60%, you then qualify for special monthly compensation at the housebound level (which i think is level S if I remember). So if a person had 100% for lung cancer, and a 60% for diabetes...or 100% for lung cancer & 20% for diabetes, another 20% for peripheral neuropathy fo legs, & a 10% for upper extremities and it all totalled to 60%, that would qualify the person for the housebound rate. Theres different levelso fo SMC, such as if you have 2 or more 100% evaluations, a k level for certain losses of use, etc. SMC and effective dates are the banes of my existence! I hope I didnt confuse you further.,

• HadIt.com Elder

Veldrina not calling you out but it seems that the VA never remembers part b of the regs which states that 100% plus agoraphobia is an SMC S rating also.

I know that my VARO did and still continues to ignore it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks, Veldrina, that's what I wanted to know. I, personally, understand VA math quite well. Most courts and disability insurance carriers generally use the same type of schedule. I just wasn't sure on the 100+60 rule. Thanks again, and know you are welcome here. On a side note, you might want to edit/correct your typo, as 20+20+10 will never equal 60, even using VA math. ;-)

pr

@ Pete I don't thik I've ever seen agoraphobia as part of a claim. The rarity of it might be why they forget. But thanks, I'll know now if I ever come across a case like that :)

@ Philip Yeah, i can't put those VA math together without the "Combinator" calculator, i was just giving an example of several disabilities vs one disability. The math wasn't meant to add up, just show quantity. This is why i was an English major in school ;)-

Thanks, Veldrina, that's what I wanted to know. I, personally, understand VA math quite well. Most courts and disability insurance carriers generally use the same type of schedule. I just wasn't sure on the 100+60 rule. Thanks again, and know you are welcome here. On a side note, you might want to edit/correct your typo, as 20+20+10 will never equal 60, even using VA math. ;-)

pr

I've just found out I've been awarded the same new 10% disability for each of my legs. It also states the bilateral factor is "1.9", which I assume to mean an actual award of 19%, combined, which would round up to 20%. Am I correct, and if not what is the total??? Also, when considering the 100% + 60%, required for SMC, do they use VA math, or normal math, when combining to meet the 60% required???

Thank you!!

pr

I hope you don't mind my chiming in on your question.

I'm not very good with the A math but I've gotten pretty good at using the VBA combined ratings table.I use the tables to cross check a calculator I frequently use.

The calculator I use says: 10 + 10 = 19 + bilateral factor of 1.9 (10%) = 20.9%. You'd be rated at 20%

The VBA 38CFR Combined ratings table states 10 combined with 10 is 19 so I'm assuming the calculator is correct.

I'll leave the question about 100% + 60% to those in the know!

• HadIt.com Elder

chr49 - thanks! For all I know I've never understood the bilateral thing and never tried, cuz I was a schedular 100% for yrs. Now with these other ratings I felt I could acquire the SMC via another route. The VA denied my housebound and A&A yrs ago and have fought me all the way. I will finally win, albeit somewhat late. Thanks again!

pr