VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Needed To Vent And Ask A Couple Of Questions.

Rate this question

WVSERVER

Question

Well I Just decided to file a compensation claim with the VA. I have a couple of question to ask, but first I will give a little history.

I was on active duty Air Force Security Forces from 01-06. I was honorable discharged in September of 06. While on active duty I was diagnosed with the following conditions.

• Sleep apnea requiring CPAP ( was med boarded and given a c-code with return to duty)
  • Hydronephrosis of the kidney
  • General Anxiety Disorder
  • Titanitis
  • Minor Depression (is seasonal and comes and goes)
  • Acid Reflux
  • Dyspepsia

Other things that were mentioned but did not receive a diagnosis for include.

• Fibromyalgia
    • Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

In about 04 I started to falling apart my body just got zapped for some reason. So I went to the docs. That was a big mistake I was always treated like crap. It started out that I could not sleep, and then I would have pain all over. Some days I would fill like I was having a heart attack then I would be totally wore out for a couple of days. I was in a Personal Reliability Program Position so every time I went to the doc I would be off work. I stayed in rotation for 95% of my time in the Air Force.

I am one of the only people to my knowledge to stay on PRP with a CPAP and sleeping and depression meds. Everyone around wrote me letter to include my Commanders stating that I should be allowed to stay on PRP and was performing at the top even thought I was struggling with medical issues.

Sometime in 06 my issues got so bad I could not stay in rotation, because of this I was at the doctors a lot. I could not get them to listen to me no matter what I said. Back at my unit I had to clean the squadron 12hrs a day work 6 days a week and PT twice a day as an NCO.

In-between the docs treating me like crap and my squadron making me work twice as much as I normally would I decide I would get out of the Air Force. So I submitted my paper work. I had enough leave I was on terminal leave that week. There was no help out processing. I did not get a VA exam nothing. I actually had a Doc tell me I am seeing you too much I think you just want to get out of work. I almost came un-glued. I said Capt. just do you job if you can’t find me a doctor who can figure out what’s going on with me. Needless to say that was the straw that broke the camels back.

I never wanted or needed anything from the VA, I have always had a good job and insurance. I always just dealt with it; I think part of me is afraid of other Doctors treating me like the AF doc’s did.

Well now I am in a different situation my youngest son was very sick for about a year which caused my wife to lose her job. This racked up about $350,000 in bills even thought I have insurance. So with all the stress this is causing my medical issues have started back up in full force, I am back to not sleeping and having pain all over, making it hard for me to work everyday but I still do it.

Because of the med bills a lot of Doctors will not see any of the members in my family. I have foreclosed a house and lost a car to the bank and I am now looking at Bankruptcy. I can not afford to see the doctor even if I wanted to my out of pocket is outrageous. I now work as a government contractor and may lose my clearance due to my financial situation.

So now I got all of that off my chest I have a couple of questions.

· Would appreciate any advice you all could offer me.

· Any pitfalls that I need to be aware of before I start out on this long journey?

· Any steps I need to take before filling my claim?

· I have not seen a doc for any of these issues since I left the Air Force. How bad is that? I really can not afford it; I can barely get my kids to the doc when they need it.

Thanks for all the help ahead of time and sorry about the long post just needed to vent.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit. From your description you should be able to go to any VA and get treatment. Your claim should also not have to many problems as you have good documentation and can prove that there is a link to service.

The bad news is that it takes the VA a long time and you will have to hunker down for awhile.

If you are not able to work you should also file for Social Security Disability as unlike the VA there is a clock ticking.

Good Luck

Pete53 Thank you for the advice, as I am just starting out it is very helpful. I am waiting on some records from the VA and a privet practice in ND. I have some but not all of my records. My American Legion DO who is a WV state employee advised me to wait until I receive all the records I need before filling a claim.

She said once the Martinsburg VAMC gets them I will never see them again until the process is over. Having never failed a claim before I will trust her for now.

I tried to get some help at the VA and was told I make too much money to get VA health care. I do have a decent job. But I am the only income for 5 people. So even thought It’s seen as good money it does not go very far to cover 3 little one and me and my wife.

I do work everyday for the most part, but it is getting harder and harder everyday to keep going, especially when I am having the never-ending body aches. But as long as the kids are counting on me I will always work, unless I am bed redden.

I will admit I have a lot to learn about the VA and the benefits they offer, I fell like I am drinking from a fire hydrant trying to figure this out.

But anyway, thanks for all the advice and welcomes everyone. I love this site and will be doing a lot of research.

Wv,

Here's some research material for you.

http://www.hadit.com...help_guide.html

http://www.access.gp.../38cfr3_09.html

http://www.access.gp.../38cfr4_09.html

http://www.howtoasse....com/index.html

A free guide for researching, organizing and assembling a va claim. Now upgraded to include suggestions for VONAPP and Social Security Disability.

• HadIt.com Elder

File the claim now. DO not wait. You have up to a year to submit evidence. The reason you should file is to give the RO time to do the first processing steps like determine character of service.

It also secures the effective date.

J

You should claim all the conditions you mentioned as having diagnosis inservice and anything else that could possibly stem from your service or from there conditions as secondarys.

They will lump the anxiety disorder with the Mood disorder.Only one rating for those conditions.

Hydronephrosis of the kidney-did this occur due to kidneys stones?

You wont need to prove any cause as far as I can see- but are there any other kidney related problems you have now due to this condition?

Welcome to hadit.