Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

New Vet With Questions

vetmovinon
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

Hello, I'm not familiar with blogs or forum mechanics - I'm new here, and thanks for having this service on the web.

I am 60% SC since 1/2002. I had no idea of how VA compensation worked when I filed so I just claimed the essentials that I was dealing with at the time and was happy to see some cash resulting from it. I filed a CUE claim that's been waiting in the system for 2 years. In my original claim I listed L and R carpal tunnel syndrome and also separately claimed osteoarthritis in L and R wrists. I was granted SC for L carpal tunnel (CTS) at 30 and right CTS at 20. The VA examination reported there was no arthrtitis in either wrist shown on X-rays at the time of the VA exam. The VA examiner stated that I had full range of motion bilaterally, and that although I claimed there was pain, he didn't see evidence of it. In the exam report there was no diagnosis of a wrist disorder.

The rating decision listed left carpal tunnel and right carpal tunnel as separate disorders and within the narrative of each, reported that I had claimed bilateral wrist arthritis. The wrist disorder itself was no further addressed in the rating decision.

I did not know enough to formally disagree when I was notified of the award. I was happy to get what I got and move on.

2 years later while in a flare up of wrist pain, I read over the VA rating decision again and noticed it didn't address my wrist claim, other than a "claimed as" for carpal tunnel. I reviewed my service treatment records and found treatment for a broken right wrist in 1981 with X-rays of a fracture and calcification. The record showed later entries of treatment for left wrist osteoarthritis with an entry from a doctor stating an X-ray of the left wrist was reviewed. There was no actual X-ray report in the record.

From this, I thought that a mistake had been made by the VA by: not making a decision specific to the claims of arthritis on each wrist; and, by not reporting the treatment history showing a fracture with calcification on X-ray of one, and a diagnosis of arthritis on the other with the doctors statement that he had reviewed the X-ray.

I did not appeal the decision since the 1 year window had past. I reported the decision had a clear and unmistakable error in not making a decision on the two wrist joints that were claimed, since wrists are joints and not nerve disorders. I then brought up the error in not entering the evidence of treatment findings from the records documenting treatment of arthritis with X-ray evidence involved.

I am apprehensive about the whole thing. The overall SC percentage would go up to 70 combined if I have one more 10 evaluation and that is a bunch of cash in back pay that the VA might try to defend against. I know a mistake was made but, to cover themselves, I just wonder if they might admit the mistake and grant one at zero for the X-ray evidence without a VA examiner's confirmation of painful and limited motion; Then deny the other as no having confirmation of X-ray evidence in the records, stating the doctor report was not specific enough, or something similar. If they decide the CUE that way I'd get nothing. If they don't want to accept my report of pain on VA examination, fine, but then grant both wrists at zero for arthritis so I can have 10 for multiple major joints rated 0 for arthritis. If they deny both, well that's just another mistake to elevate.

Am I being clear on any of this? I think I may be using their language here and that's confusing in itself.

Have you had experience with anthing similar to this??? Any pointers you can give me???? If I am mistaken in my interpretations or assumptions, please tell me straight up!

Thanks

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Did you highlight this in the CUE claim?

"with calcification on X-ray of one, and a diagnosis of arthritis on the other"

CUES depend on legal errors, not medical errors as you know- so what Legal error did you cite in the CUE?

Did you say they erred by using the wrong diagnostic codes and had they used the correct codes, the rating would have been higher?

"I thought that a mistake had been made by the VA by: not making a decision specific to the claims of arthritis on each wrist"

Was arthritis of the wrists specifically claimed in the original claim the CUE is based on?

Did it raise to a ratable level at that tme per the VA Schedule of Ratings?

Because a CUE depends n a manifestly altered outcome- more comp due- and if the disability didnt fall into ratable level-at time of alledged CUE then the VA can say that there was no cmp due therefore no altered outcome.

"I know a mistake was made but, to cover themselves, I just wonder if they might admit the mistake and grant one at zero for the X-ray evidence without a VA examiner's confirmation of painful and limited motion; Then deny the other as no having confirmation of X-ray evidence in the records, stating the doctor report was not specific enough, or something similar. If they decide the CUE that way I'd get nothing. If they don't want to accept my report of pain on VA examination, fine, but then grant both wrists at zero for arthritis so I can have 10 for multiple major joints rated 0 for arthritis. If they deny both, well that's just another mistake to elevate."

What do current X rays regarding the wrist arthitis?

You did some leg work here and I commend you for that-

I have had a CUE claim pending since 2004.

Some of the responses I have gotten from VA in past almost 7 years are ludicrous.They will try to confound the issues on CUE if they can.

It is certainly a first of a kind CUE claim and that is the main reason no one at VA really wants to produce a logical denial on it.

It means they have to rate their malpractice. It was sent for BVA transfer and suddenly pulled and sent to Nehmer people in Phila.

I supported the legal errors in this CUE claim with 2 OGC precedent decisions, BVA 'legal' remarks in past BVA decision at the VA web site, with specific regs in 38 USC, 38 CFR, and M21-1MR as well as evidence from the OGC and Regional COunsel that directly involved my past FTCA for my CUE .

All legal evidence. The VA in Buffalo never has read a single piece of my CUE evidence since 2004.

They never read any of my medical evidence for my 2003 Claim. The BVA did and awarded last year.

So I couldn't wait for the BVA to get my CUE claim but it suddenly has been handled differently now under Nehmer.

I have no idea how my SMC accrued CUE will resolve and it is hard to know how yours will resolve.

Again I need to state that VA will obfuscate and confuse and confound all they can in responding to CUE claims in many cases so I commmend you for projecting those land mines into the future of your claim-

I mean of course you have already projected how they could deny and why.

CUES are a collateral attack on a past VA decision that is final and they become a war game.The way to fight them is with their own regs and to clearly spell out the Legal error they committed ( no DTA stuff)

and how it cost you comp due to those errors.

"Have you had experience with anthing similar to this??? Any pointers you can give me???"

There are a few other CUE ers here and there is LOTS of CUE info in our CUE forum.

Also if the CUE ends up at the BVA and they deny without prejudice-that means, by carefully rewording the CUE in a different way -you can file it again.

CUE is not a one shot deal -as many vet reps used to say.

Medical issues in CUE scenarios have to be established and documented already by the VA in prior decisions because the CUE can only rest on their misapplication of VA case law and regs.

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• Advertisemnt

• question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.

You can read the forums without registering.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines

<——>