Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Pseudo Tumor Cerebri

SonnyBurnett
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

Hello all,

3 months after service connected spinal surgery, I was diagnosed with Pseudo Tumor Cerebri. I cannot get a VA doc (primary, neuro, eye doc) to state in writing that this condition was caused or even aggravated by spinal surgery. This condition sux! Basically, cerebral fluid builds up and causes optic nerve pressure resulting in losing my eye sight, constant migraine type headaches from the pressure too. The meds I take (diamox) cuts production, and is a diuretic. Side effects sux too. Metal taste all the time, constant tingling of all extremities, photo light sensitive. I even get prescription sunglasses from the VA for this. I have multiple eye exams several times a year to monitor eye loss. They want to put in a shunt, but I have read many horror stories about these so I am scared. The condtion has no cure. A big majority of the people that get this are over weight women in child bearing years...I am none of that. It is listed as a compensated condition (30% ).

I was stationed around munitions, chemicals and really big big nasty bombs, So I wonder if that may have something to do with it? Also, wondering if anyone else suffers from this?

Thanks

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

The VA is obviously not gping to try to establish a nexus for you.

You need a strong medical opinion from an independent doctor- probably a Neuro- that can link this to your service directly if possible with your SMRs-or link it to the SC you have now.

I assume you claimed secondary to or aggravation of your SC disability.

You could also claim this perhaps under 1151.

Still it will take an IMO from a Neuro or doc with Spinal surgery experience to do that. The IMO criteria is in our IMO forum.

"cerebral fluid builds up"

Have you googled the condition on the net to see what reasons are for the build up of fluid ?

Has any doc suggested this could be an unforeseen result of the surgery?

What exactly did the VA docs say as to its cause?

Can you scan and attach here at hadit the decision that denied as to the VA's Reasons and Bases? (cover the personal stuff)

I have not filed a claim yet because I have no concrete proof other than an extremely rare disease I now have, and so close to happening after surgery. The causes have been linked to high doses of vitamin A, overweight, etc., there is no cure. It just all seems like a coincidence, which I do not believe in. The nuero doc is at a loss to why this happened and will not even say maybe. I'm sure the VA comes down hard on doc's that may offer a speculation on a cause of a condition The doc who did the surgery, of course, says it is just one of those things...not his fault or the fault of the surgery. I guess I was hoping to hear from someone else that has psuedo tumor cerebri, that by chance is linked to spinal surgery in some way.

As soon as the BVA decision site gets back on line- you could do a search there for this condition to see if any vets were able to get it SCed or as secondary to a established SC.

BVA decisions don't help support specific vet's claim because they are solely regarding the vet who has appealed. But they do contain excellent info as to evidence and stuff.

Do you have copy of your clinical med recs? I googled the condition you have and could not find anything that would definitively help you.

I have copies of my medical records pertaining to pseudo tumor cerebri, but finding a link to spinal surgery has been the mystery. Maybe someone else that has this stupid disease may come forward that may see this post?

Thank you for jumping right in and helping.

There are a few cases at the BVA for this disability.

Best to put the disability into the search browser and then click on all.

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.html

I do believe you will have to get an indepednent medical opinion to link this to the spinal surgery.

One BVA case on remand caught my attention:

In part:

"Because the

veteran alleges that his service-connected headaches are part

and parcel of the pseudo tumor cerebri, the issues of service

connection for pseudo tumor cerebri and an increased rating

for post-traumatic headaches are inextricably intertwined

since a grant of service connection for pseudo tumor cerebri

would fundamentally alter the basis for rating the headache

disability. See Harris v. Derwinski, 1 Vet. App. 180 (1991)

(two issues are "inextricably intertwined" when they are so

closely tied together that a final decision on one issue

cannot be rendered until a decision on the other issue has

been rendered)."

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp06/files3/0618250.txt

"A review of the record indicates that the AMC failed to

complete all remand instructions. Namely, the AMC did not

make reasonable attempts to obtain all evidence that the

veteran adequately identified. In response to the

Supplemental Statement of the" etc

In your case there could be or possibly could not be a medical link that you are looking for.

Perhaps an IMO doctor would be able to assess the possibility of a link here on line , before you have to shell out IMO money.

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/p/pseudotumor_cerebri/causes.htm

I found this info when I googled pseudo tumor cerebri environmental and then the google mentioned ionizing radiation but I havent had time to read the whole link.

Were you exposed to ionizing radiation while in the Mil?

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• Advertisemnt

• question-001.jpegLooking for Answers? Here are tips for finding the answers you seek.

All VA Claims questions should be posted on our forums. To post, you must register. Registration is free. You can register for a free account here.

You can read the forums without registering.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story. Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading to:

Post straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    • I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
        • I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial from your claim?” etc.

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed.
    • This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines

<——>