VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Would Not Fell Better Giving Up My Claim

Rate this question

Hoppy

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I do not see the relationship between seeking compensation from the VA and the need to free oneself from the dependence of the govt. This thought contradicts the entire purpose of compensation. An individual can get compensation and work at the same time. I know several people who have plenty of money to support themselves and still pursue their VA compensation.

If you want to have wars or make widgets you better have enough money in the budget to pay your employees and warriors a salary that will allow them to get medical insurance that covers them that while doing their job or pay for it from your own budget. This is the law of our great land. People who want to circumvent this law will find themselves standing in front of a judge. Insurance investigators bust these guys all the time.

This proposal that one should free themselves from dependence on the govt. sounds similar to the type of guilt trip laid on a retiree who I recently met. He said that will being processed out they found that he had a loss in range of motion in his shoulder and the doctor wanted to get a rating assigned. He said he also ran into individuals who were telling him that he was a “woos” for trying to get disability and do the manly thing and just take his retirement. Talk about low self esteem. Only a person with low self esteem would give up something rightfully theirs because some clowns laid a guilt trip on him.

“wouldn't you feel better if you could bootstrap yourself into some meaningful occupation and get rid of your dependence on VA?”

In the above generalization, are we talking about all disabilities are just psychiatric disabilities. Should we forgo our dependency on the GI bill to get through college. Then having the satisfaction of knowing that when we graduated that “WE DID IT OUR WAY”. Is this something you tell every veteran that walks in the front door of the VSO office. Or, is this just a special treat for hadit. Is there a big copy of the above statement framed and hanging on the wall in the lobby of your VSO office. If so, post a picture for us to see.

“One thing I believe in is individual differences. One person's catastrophe is another's challenge to be overcome. Psychologists call it compensation. Fred's a good example of the latter.”

Don, you are beginning to sound like you have inklings to be a self help guru. Sometimes your expressions and use of generalizations make it hard for me to decipher your thoughts. “totally schizo” Talking about choices and peoples responses to challenges and people picking themselves up from the boot straps.

I was beginning to wonder if you were trying to make a point about a schizophrenic picking himself up by the boot straps, or making choices that led to recovery. I have been around “psychotics” with various levels of functioning for a long time. I have read lots of discharge notes. I also have had reoccurring psychotic episodes. I have been treated and or studied psychology since the age of 21. I studied psychology in the UC system and was known to get “A’s” in my upper division core classes. In between psychotic episodes and the various careers, I wound up in an inpatient rehab program at the VA. I eventually went on to an excellent civil service position as a result of the three weeks of training provided to me by the VA. Three weeks does not sound like much. However, without that training I would not have passed the civil service exam I had to take for the position. Two years later the VA hunted me down and asked me if they could make a film about my success in the program to show at VA hospitals all over the USA. I gladly did the filmed interviews. Maybe they showed the film in your town. A couple years after that the labor law lawyers found out I did not tell the city I had chronic angioedema before they hired me. The lawyers went nuts and ran me out of town.

I do have a website. However, none of this is on my website. I have always thought that people who have recovered from drug dependency or life styles of habitual criminality would be a much better example of inspiration to the common man than we who were inflicted with “psychotic” disorders.

The idea that a schizophrenic did things to “significantly advance themselves and rise to a challenge to escape out of the throws of this disease does sound rather romantic and foreign to me. In school I was taught that schizophrenics had swings in their ability to function. Schizophrenics functioned better at times than others. Functioning psychotics who had required hospitalization were given a safe place to stay. Good diet and sometimes medications. Discharge notes did not say things like “he met the challenges of this disease, picked his self up by the bootstraps and walked out of the hospital”. Actually, “Responded well to medications” and “Spontaneous recovery” are the types of explanations that I have seen on discharge notes.

I went to Fred’s site to see what he had to see about his recovery. What I found is pretty much what I expected. Below is a paragraph I cut and pasted. I made the section about the medications bold. Fred does not talk like somebody who feels he cured himself or made significant advances by his decisions. It appears to me that the less severe features of his disease, the spontaneous remissions and medications allow him to function.

Pasted from Fred’s site.

“People who are physically disabled can be helped by artificial supports such as seeing eye dogs, hearing aids, or crutches. Schizophrenia requires the chemical “crutch” of neuroleptic medication. Without it, I would not be able to function as I do today. True, some medications have serious side effects, but new drugs are constantly being developed, and many of them are more effective with fewer side effects. “

Fred is an interesting person and a good example of a functioning schizophrenic. Fred just sounds glad the disease has not been any more severe and that he has medication available to him. I could post comparative symptoms of different individual schizophrenics and specifics as to the types of treatment that have been successful for many mental disorders. However, it would take to long.

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that winning a claim validates the Service of the Veteran. When you take the oath you make a contract with our Government and when you are awarded a claim it acknowledges the debt the government has to its promise if your service harmed you that they would make it good. The money and the benefits help but its much more than that.

The first statement does not mean that all Veterans who are not service connected are not valid.We will see how the government treats the soldiers and sailors who whave been sent to Iraq. From my place it does not look good.

Many Veterans are upset about the identity theft problem but I saw something that impressed me. The current Secretary at least apologized and as far as I can remember it is the first apology I have ever gotten from the VA.

Pete, I believe Secretary Nicholson apologized because it was the politically expedient thing to do, especially in view of his embarassment at being asleep at the wheel. No one wanted to hear anymore excuses blaming other people or circumstances beyond his control, etc., the way we heard them from Mike Brown w/FEMA. I'm sure he didn't want to become yet another appointee who placed the President in that position - - again.

Guest DON20906

That's bullshit. Show me where it says that in your enlistment contract. The eligibility criteria are in title 38 USC, not in your head.

I think that winning a claim validates the Service of the Veteran. When you take the oath you make a contract with our Government and when you are awarded a claim it acknowledges the debt the government has to its promise if your service harmed you that they would make it good. The money and the benefits help but its much more than that.

The first statement does not mean that all Veterans who are not service connected are not valid.We will see how the government treats the soldiers and sailors who whave been sent to Iraq. From my place it does not look good.

Many Veterans are upset about the identity theft problem but I saw something that impressed me. The current Secretary at least apologized and as far as I can remember it is the first apology I have ever gotten from the VA.

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

x

That in case necessity require to send forces abroad, and there be not volunteers sufficient offered forthis service, then it be lawful for the Governor and [his] assistants to press men into service in his Majesties name...provided that any that shall goe return mamed and hurt, he shall be mayntayned [maintained] by the Colony duringe his life. (Plymouth Colony, 1636. [u.S. Cong., 1967, p. 21])

President Lincoln's eloquent second inaugural address in 1864 stated clearly the nature of the social contract ... "to care for him who shall have borne the battle and... his widow, and his orphan..."

President Theodore Roosevelt echoed the essence of the social contract in 1903, "A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to begiven a square deal afterwards".

On the issue of betrayal, one is reminded of the the words of Aeschylus, as quoted as preface to Anton Myrer's Once An Eagle:

So in the Libyan fable it is told, That once an eagle,

stricken with a dart,

Said, when he saw the fashion of the shaft,

"With our own feathers, not buy others' hands, Are we now

smitten."

Guest DON20906

Very nice. I think I'm gonna hurl.

x

x

x

x

That in case necessity require to send forces abroad, and there be not volunteers sufficient offered forthis service, then it be lawful for the Governor and [his] assistants to press men into service in his Majesties name...provided that any that shall goe return mamed and hurt, he shall be mayntayned [maintained] by the Colony duringe his life. (Plymouth Colony, 1636. [u.S. Cong., 1967, p. 21])

President Lincoln's eloquent second inaugural address in 1864 stated clearly the nature of the social contract ... "to care for him who shall have borne the battle and... his widow, and his orphan..."

President Theodore Roosevelt echoed the essence of the social contract in 1903, "A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to begiven a square deal afterwards".

On the issue of betrayal, one is reminded of the the words of Aeschylus, as quoted as preface to Anton Myrer's Once An Eagle:

So in the Libyan fable it is told, That once an eagle,

stricken with a dart,

Said, when he saw the fashion of the shaft,

"With our own feathers, not buy others' hands, Are we now

smitten."