VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

And The Va Says! "that Was A Mistake!"

Rate this question

Cherie33

Question

Hello Fellow Veterans,

I have been dealing with the VA for about 17 years now, and I have been baffled quite a few times by their decisions, but this one takes the cake.

Ok, I put in for P&T last year as well as an additional disability. I received a letter in the mail "The summary of benefits" a few days ago. It stated that I am currently 70 % service connected, and I am being paid at the 100% rate due to unemplyability, and that I AM considered to be "Totally and Permanently disabled due to my service connected disabilities. You would think that this is pretty cut and dry, right? WRONG! I went downtown to apply for Homestead Exemption and the lady that I talked to said that I would need form 27-333, because the "Summary of benefits", said that I was only 70% and NOT 100%. Ok, fine, I went home and called the VA to find out if I could get this form (27-333) mailed to me. At that time, not only did I wait for 23 minutes for someone to take my call, this person told me that "Oh, they haven't made an official decision on your claim, and that whoever sent out that letter, reviewed your file and made an assumption that you are P&T. But, it shows that you are 100%. WHAT? I don't get it. She said, that, that letter was a MISTAKE, and they shouldn't have sent it out like that. A MISTAKE? Please........ Also, I went to the base to see if I could get a decal and ID, because if I'm not mistaken, when you are considered to be P&T, you have commissary benefits and maybe some others. Well, the people working at the front said that I would need an ID that says I have these particular priviledges. So, I have mailed a copy of the "MISTAKE" letter to the Florida Dept. of Veterans Affairs with a photo of myself.

So, my question is, What the heck is going on? Has anyone else ran into this type of trouble with the VA?

Thanks,

Cherie33

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Cherie...This may help you.

First, remember that calls to the 800 number, as well as IRIS emails are very often inaccurate. Here is what I would do:

At my VAMC they have someone there who works for the RO, but is stationed at the VAMC. I went to him and he looked me up and wrote about 3 letters for me: One to get commissary priveleges, one for state hunting and fishing licenses, and one for license plates. He signed them and handed them to me. He seemed to understand that the people at the tax assessors office have no idea what TDIU or "no future exams scheduled" means.

If there is no such person at your VAMC, then you can send a 21-4138 to your RO and direct the letter to "eligibility office"..at least that is what they call it at my RO. Tell them you are a recent 100 percent Vet and need eligibility letters for these things.

This is what worked for me.

My C&P Department Medical Director advised me what days of the week the VARO person would be at my VAMC. He doesn't come everyday. Perhaps you can find out from that dept at your VAMC too.