VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cognitive-Processing Therapy?

Rate this question

vistagirl81

Question

My husband has 50% PTSD, but 70% total, and he recently had to do Cognitive-Processing Therapy in order to help or heal his PTSD. It was a 12 week course that was supposed to make him better, but it made things worse. He used to wake up every night with nightmares, and before his “treatment” it went down to two-three times a week. Now it’s back to the way it was. When the psychiatrist had him write about his traumatic event, it has brought everything back to the front, and now that he is in between social workers and Psychiatrists he has no one to talk to. It’s not like he trusts anyone anymore, but anything was better than nothing. Has anyone had this Cognitive therapy work?? Thank you.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Welcome to hadit vistagirl81 and Thank your Husband for his service and thank you for standing by him. CPT did not help me one little bit, Dr. told me I had a lot of issues and I was "stuck on my stuck points"!! The VA loves the "cookie cutter" approach in treating PTSD, every veteran treated for PTSD is approached to try this, the shrinks think it may help "according to their studies". I suppose there are factors that may determine if the PTSD symtoms can be reduced (notice I didn't say cured) by CPT or PET programs, it really depends on the duration of tramatic exposure or multiple exposures, the immediate effect and the long term symtoms and the inevitible consequences of PTSD if not treated properly. The more time that has elapsed between the stressor event(s) and initial diagnosis and treatment the less likely the existing programs would be of any help with reducing symptoms. The VA shrinks I think have given up with me, they humor me with the Med changes and relaxation therapy, I take the Meds and inform them once again that I do not think I can discuus my stressors with anyone other then another Marine involved in any of my stressor events. As Carlie once posted " it's not like talking about last nights newscast"; trust me its not. Go to my profile and you or your husband can email me through hadit.com

My husband has 50% PTSD, but 70% total, and he recently had to do Cognitive-Processing Therapy in order to help or heal his PTSD. It was a 12 week course that was supposed to make him better, but it made things worse. He used to wake up every night with nightmares, and before his "treatment" it went down to two-three times a week. Now it's back to the way it was. When the psychiatrist had him write about his traumatic event, it has brought everything back to the front, and now that he is in between social workers and Psychiatrists he has no one to talk to. It's not like he trusts anyone anymore, but anything was better than nothing. Has anyone had this Cognitive therapy work?? Thank you.

I agree, he has been out 2 years as of December and every day has been a struggle for both of us, mostly for him though because he tends to "slip through the cracks". They do not know what to do with him, so they do nothing. He is on 10 medications, he is trying to go to school, but he feels panicked and anxious when I'm not there ( so i have to go to classes with him), but they say he is okay, he just needs to adjust to civilian life and work on his self-esteem. I think more than his self -esteem needs to be worked on. Thank you for welcoming us here again.

Edited by vistagirl81

Vista,

I am a combat vet of an earlier era, and have been through CPT (mostly). The best thing that came of it was that my wife finally heard part of my story. I was able to read to her, from the statement, what I had never talked about. The statement was just a snapshot, but it helped her to validate my behavior and depersonalize it. The rest of it was detrimental, in my experience. I had been in group sessions continuously for 3 years before I accepted the CPT or I don't think I could have taken it. This therapy has an extreme focus of conforming, as Pigdriver suggests, and I couldn't finish. Having said that, I honestly believe VA mental health saved my life. Some days I regress, but have stopped the backwards slide to suicide, which I credit to the mental health program. Use them as your support as the spouse. Talk to his Dr. about what you are going through and it will help you both. If the Dr. doesn't want to hear your story, find one that will. God Bless

I do not think that he was ready for the therapy that he received. My husband did not tell me anything, what I learned about him was from his medical records when I was filing his claims. We have never gone through any groups to help him get any of his compensation; I did it by reading on here and researching through the internet. In dealing with his PTSD, I have tried to tell them his problems, but they shrug it off. I have confided in 2 of his Psychiatrists, 2 different social workers, and his psychologist. I will continue to do so until he is given the help that he needs. He was getting better, but now he has gone downhill and he knows it. An example is when I asked him to watch something on the stove for five minutes, and he turned on the microwave instead of the timer that is on the stove. He can’t remember what a peanut looks like; he got mad at me because I said it was an almond and not a peanut. I have even told the person who was doing his therapy and she said after its done he will go back to the social worker. I realize that he will never be the carefree man that I married, and I accept that, but I just want him to stop hurting all the time.

• HadIt.com Elder

I do not think that he was ready for the therapy that he received. My husband did not tell me anything, what I learned about him was from his medical records when I was filing his claims. We have never gone through any groups to help him get any of his compensation; I did it by reading on here and researching through the internet. In dealing with his PTSD, I have tried to tell them his problems, but they shrug it off. I have confided in 2 of his Psychiatrists, 2 different social workers, and his psychologist. I will continue to do so until he is given the help that he needs. He was getting better, but now he has gone downhill and he knows it. An example is when I asked him to watch something on the stove for five minutes, and he turned on the microwave instead of the timer that is on the stove. He can’t remember what a peanut looks like; he got mad at me because I said it was an almond and not a peanut. I have even told the person who was doing his therapy and she said after its done he will go back to the social worker. I realize that he will never be the carefree man that I married, and I accept that, but I just want him to stop hurting all the time.

Your husband is a fortunate man to have you by his side. My most positive thoughts are with you and your family.