VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Some Advice On Old Claim

Rate this question

RuskiLinguist

Question

Hello All! I just want to start by thanking in advance all of the pearls of wisdom that the collective masses provide here.

I originally filed a claim for hearing loss and tinnitus (as well as other issues) back in July of 1998 when I got out of the military. I was awarded 10% back then, and just recently got raised to 100% SC for PTSD, MDD and Alcohol Abuse. The effective date for that rating was October of 2009.

I was denied service connection for the hearing loss and tinnitus back in 1998, even though the military was the only life I had known to that point.

Now I see the Fast Letter 10-35 which basically concedes hearing loss and tinnitus for my Duty MOS.

How should I approach this claim? Just asking, because if I can get 10 or 20% added back to 1998, then we are not talking about chump change here. 20% added to my other 10% will make it 30% and the dependent $$$$$'s would be retro as well.

Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Sincerely,

Your Ruski Linguist

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Its gonna be tough, based on what you posted. Assuming you did not appeal the 1998 claim within a year, then you are going to have to either try CUE or N and M evidence, as you can not appeal it now.

However, as you pointed out this is not chump change, you could run it by a lawyer and see if he thinks he can "CUE" it and get you some retro.

I originally filed a claim for hearing loss and tinnitus (as well as other issues) back in July of 1998 when I got out of the military. I was awarded 10% back then,

Sincerely,

Your Ruski Linguist

Ruski,

What was the 10% awarded for ?

• HadIt.com Elder

Ruski - Would you please post a link to the fast letter? I need it in order to offer you my opinion. Thanks!

pr

Hello All! I just want to start by thanking in advance all of the pearls of wisdom that the collective masses provide here.

I originally filed a claim for hearing loss and tinnitus (as well as other issues) back in July of 1998 when I got out of the military. I was awarded 10% back then, and just recently got raised to 100% SC for PTSD, MDD and Alcohol Abuse. The effective date for that rating was October of 2009.

I was denied service connection for the hearing loss and tinnitus back in 1998, even though the military was the only life I had known to that point.

Now I see the Fast Letter 10-35 which basically concedes hearing loss and tinnitus for my Duty MOS.

How should I approach this claim? Just asking, because if I can get 10 or 20% added back to 1998, then we are not talking about chump change here. 20% added to my other 10% will make it 30% and the dependent $$$$$'s would be retro as well.

Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Sincerely,

Your Ruski Linguist

• HadIt.com Elder

If, as you said, the Fast Letter does concede hearing loss and tinnitus within your MOS, then I would think that that letter, in and of itself, would be the "New and Material" evidence necessary to RE-open your original denied hearing loss and tinnitus claim from 1998.

I would like for you to post either the FL 10-35 or a link thereto so we can better assist you.

Ruski - Would you please post a link to the fast letter? I need it in order to offer you my opinion. Thanks!

pr

Here is the link I pulled from this site. I hope that this works. If not, then let me know and I will try another posting method.

Thanks much again,

Ruski