VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Some Advice On Old Claim

Rate this question

RuskiLinguist

Question

Hello All! I just want to start by thanking in advance all of the pearls of wisdom that the collective masses provide here.

I originally filed a claim for hearing loss and tinnitus (as well as other issues) back in July of 1998 when I got out of the military. I was awarded 10% back then, and just recently got raised to 100% SC for PTSD, MDD and Alcohol Abuse. The effective date for that rating was October of 2009.

I was denied service connection for the hearing loss and tinnitus back in 1998, even though the military was the only life I had known to that point.

Now I see the Fast Letter 10-35 which basically concedes hearing loss and tinnitus for my Duty MOS.

How should I approach this claim? Just asking, because if I can get 10 or 20% added back to 1998, then we are not talking about chump change here. 20% added to my other 10% will make it 30% and the dependent $$$$$'s would be retro as well.

Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Sincerely,

Your Ruski Linguist

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Ruski - I've reviewed the Fast Letter, dated September, 2010, and you can probably use it to reopen your claim under new and material but that won't get you the EED. I'd first pursue the reopening and that decision being approved and then try to get an EED. It'll take a long time but you may or may not win. Good luck!

pr

PR, you give good advice, and such a simple question should be quite easy for you. I would never have applied for hearing loss or tinnitus if they did not exist. All I want to do is make sure that the pain is distributed equally. Are you going to help me, or not?

Good advice without follow through is just ego building.

Victor

• HadIt.com Elder

Rusk

The way you reopen a claim is with new and material evidence. That could be a new medical report. Getting an EED would probably require proof of CUE. The reopening of your hearing loss claim is not such a big deal. Getting an EED is a big deal. The VA gags at paying 11 years of retro compensation.

PR, you give good advice, and such a simple question should be quite easy for you. I would never have applied for hearing loss or tinnitus if they did not exist. All I want to do is make sure that the pain is distributed equally. Are you going to help me, or not?

Good advice without follow through is just ego building.

Victor

Ruski,

Everyone here is a volunteer.

If they make a choice as to when or what they want to answer, that is up to them.

People don't normally just sit around on their computers waiting to answer your

or anyone else's question.

Just about every volunteer here IS A DISABLED PERSON.

Your rude remarks to pr are not appreciated.

• Founder

I agree with Carlie completely.

Ruski,

Everyone here is a volunteer.

If they make a choice as to when or what they want to answer, that is up to them.

People don't normally just sit around on their computers waiting to answer your

or anyone else's question.

Just about every volunteer here IS A DISABLED PERSON.

Your rude remarks to pr are not appreciated.