VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Some Advice On Old Claim

Rate this question

RuskiLinguist

Question

Hello All! I just want to start by thanking in advance all of the pearls of wisdom that the collective masses provide here.

I originally filed a claim for hearing loss and tinnitus (as well as other issues) back in July of 1998 when I got out of the military. I was awarded 10% back then, and just recently got raised to 100% SC for PTSD, MDD and Alcohol Abuse. The effective date for that rating was October of 2009.

I was denied service connection for the hearing loss and tinnitus back in 1998, even though the military was the only life I had known to that point.

Now I see the Fast Letter 10-35 which basically concedes hearing loss and tinnitus for my Duty MOS.

How should I approach this claim? Just asking, because if I can get 10 or 20% added back to 1998, then we are not talking about chump change here. 20% added to my other 10% will make it 30% and the dependent $$$$$'s would be retro as well.

Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Sincerely,

Your Ruski Linguist

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Ruski

I went through that also....I was kinda desperate for help, and complained and irritated volunteers and got in deep do-do with even some of the moderators. However, I think I learned "where my bread is buttered" understanding well that these people dont have to help me...they help me only if I succeed in making them want to.

I have been able to "give back" to some other Vets, gaining knowledge and sharing it on some issues that I am most familiar with. For example, I was able to help a Vet just this morning...explaining that VA audiology may provide him with a special phone to help the hearing impaired. Some people do not know they can get a free phone if they are SC for hearing loss and need one..if they ask for it.

So, I hear ya..but of course the mods are right, and you aint gonna get much help ticking off the volunteers who are volunteering their time to try to help you.

Some of the Vets on here have serious issues..some have severe PTSD or other mental health issues..some are very sick..and even some have passed on after posting. So many of us are sympathetic to a Veteran wanting to vent about bad service they got at the VA, as so many of us have. Just dont attack the volunteers. Most of us are as frustrated with the VA as you are, if not more so.

Edited by broncovet

Bronc, Tbird, Carlie and John;

I agree with each of you completely! I thank each of you for the reality yank on my chain. I mean this from the bottom of my scummy little heart :-)

PR,

I really do appreciate the advice you gave me earlier, and the fact that you even asked more questions before you rendered your voluntary advice. I apologize profusely for my offensive words and attitude towards the very hand that feeds me. I hope you can forgive an old fool, and more importantly, I hope this note finds you in good spirits and health. I have prayed for you and forgiveness of this sin I have committed against my fellow brother. Empathy is a lesson that is sometimes learned too late in life. I hope I haven't been stubborn for too long ;-)

Sincerely,

Ruski

There are days when I am p*ssed off at the world - as my wife kindly (cough) points out to me. On those days, before I reply to a post, I have learned to take a deep breath and really think about what I want to say.

Heck, when I first started posting on HadIt, I was in a bad place in my head, and the support I got helped me get through it. Words can not convey the gratitude I feel for those who helped me.

As far as your questions go, it has been my experience that the VA balks at the idea of EED for just about anything. I like LarryJ's suggestion of using the FAST Letter to reopen your old claim, and that may bring you the results you desire. A Clear Unmistakable Error means they did something wrong, and you have to find something that they did wrong.

This is a new one on me. Can some one elaborate on the "fast letter" to reopen a claim? I like this "Larry idea", but has anyone tried it and it worked? Are you suggesting citing the "fast letter" as new and material evidence, or which fast letter are you talking about? Thanks.

Bronco