VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hep C From Vamc Laziness

Rate this question

Bigred122

Question

I hope I'm doing this right. back in 1997 I had a colonoscopy done at Boise VA Medical center. Two days later I had to go to ER due to excessive bleeding. I was losing approxiamately 1 cup per hour.Surgeon wanted to leave early that day (11 am) and discounted how much I was bleeding out.He ordered an IV be installed, but failed to order any fluids for the IV. If either of these would have been done, I wouldn't have needed 4 units of blood the next day. Eight months later, I was notified by State health dept. (not VA) that I had tested positive for Hep C. I was told at that time period that I had no recourse for any compensation.Last summer, I noticed that the Vets from Florida who contracted Hep C from colonoscopies had received free medical, 100% disability and were being determined individually if more disability would be warranted. I had the unusual P&C physical last month and haven't received any red flags to date.Part of me expects floor to drop out from beneath me by past experiences with VA. Then part of me says that it is a new VA and things are different.I am glad this new generation of Vets are being treated differently than what us VN vets dealt with. Which side of me is more correct? I did a search before I got courage to write this.Thank you in advance for any and all advice!! Mike

• Answers 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Where were you exposed to Agent Orange?

You need to have a documented disability that is on the Agent Orange list.

Graves disease, thyroid tumor, diabetes(first in family), and Ischemic heart failure and few other tumors found during other surgeries. Even spent a week in hospital overseas and they didn't ever find a cause why body shut down.These are just a few I'm aware of that are on the list. I have 2 or 3 more that wouldn't surprise me if they someday make the list. But these along with the fact my MOS was communications, I spent alot of time on hill tops, valleys, mud bogs transmitting radio relays in every direction in non populated areas.I even have orange hair, even if it is considered Red.lol Mike

"I spent alot of time on hill tops, valleys, mud bogs transmitting radio relays in every direction in non populated areas."

Where?

"I spent alot of time on hill tops, valleys, mud bogs transmitting radio relays in every direction in non populated areas."

Where?

On or near the DMZ in Korea 1971-1972 Me and my buddies even made a few trips into North Korea.lol We would rent a boat with the beaver tail paddle cross the river and climb all over the dragon teeth and go thru all the tunnels in the hillsides facing South Korea.They would go for miles with lookout every few yards. Never came across a single North Korean soldier on our escapades. A siberian tiger once.lol Most soldiers were stationed around the bridges. We went hiking almost every free day and loved seeing it all. The only harm we were warned of was the bunkers with nuclear weapons inside. We had a change of command while I was there and lots of defoliant was used as part of their area "Beautifulcation Project". Which was done by mostly by our battalion. It was just last month that the VA adjusted the dates on Agent Orange in Korea.(01/25/2011) I can't remember the dates on AO at the Fort Greely in Alaska. Thxs,Mike

The Defense Department has never confirmed usage of Agent Orange in Fort Greely Alaska.

Unless they did last week and it hasn't made the rounds on the net yet.

It appears that you do fall into the Korea regs as to the new AO dates.

You also have to have been in any unit or support group confirmed as exposed to AO near the DMZ.The unit list is at NVLSP and in our AO forum here.

Edited by Berta

The Defense Department has never confirmed usage of Agent Orange in Fort Greely Alaska.

Unless they did last week and it hasn't made the rounds on the net yet.

It appears that you do fall into the Korea regs as to the new AO dates.

You also have to have been in any unit or support group confirmed as exposed to AO near the DMZ.The unit list is at NVLSP and in our AO forum here.

I had my chuckle for the day thanks to you. I read thru some more threads trying to find what units in Korea qualified for the AO and noticed a thread labeled Fort Gordon. Fort Gordon is where I took my AIT for 4 months.Ao seems to have been every where I have served. Fort Lewis has to be next.lol Thanks for the chuckle.Back to my search.Mike