VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nehmer Info

Rate this question

Papa

Question

This may be a far reaching question, but if I don't ask, I will not get the advice from you good people. I went to a neurologist day before yesterday, and he dx with Parkinson's Disease, and gave me some medication for it. I have to return back later this month for a brain scan. I also have Central Tremors, that he saisd was probably masking my Parkinson's Disease. My Tremors started around 1973, and put a claim in for my nerves. I was denied. Now, if the dx is confirmed, is it possible that the Nehmer date could go back to my initial claim that was denied? BTW, I could not find out the rating for Parkinson's Disease in the rating schedule, can some one tell me what it is? I honestly, hope that Doctor tells me that he was mistaken.

Papa

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

"My Tremors started around 1973, and put a claim in for my nerves. I was denied. Now, if the dx is confirmed, is it possible that the Nehmer date could go back to my initial claim that was denied?"

The 1973 claim would have had to have clearly have been for Parkinson's as tremors could be due to something else.

Also in yur case- for 37 years no diagnosis specifically of Parkinson's showed up.

But I suggest you ask your doctor if there could possibly be an inservice link and if so, you might surely will need a strong IMO.

I believe the Parkinsons rating is within the Nehmer Training Letter here in the AO forum and they explain in there how a past denied claim mst be a disability that can be reasonably construed as the same new AO disability.

Berta,

Thanks for your post, and advice. My wife was telling me that she knows that when we first met, that I could not write with one hand, drink a cup of coffee, etc. without shaking. We met the Fall of 1970, right after I came home from Vietnam. The Doctor had told me that my Tremors probably masked the Parkinsons for years. I believe I did have a C&P exam back in the early 70s, but I was young and totally nieve. People today think the C&P exams are bad today, when a Vietnam Veteran went to a C&P exam back then, a dog would have gotten a better exam. IMHO.

Papa

"The Doctor had told me that my Tremors probably masked the Parkinsons for years. I believe I did have a C&P exam back in the early 70s, but I was young and totally nieve."

Do you have a complete copy of your C file as that C & P right be in there or something on the rating sheet might reveal early stage PArkinsons.

"I was denied. Now, if the dx is confirmed, is it possible that the Nehmer date could go back to my initial claim that was denied?"

I am re posting my prior post:

"I believe the Parkinsons rating is within the Nehmer Training Letter here in the AO forum and they explain in there how a past denied claim must be a disability that can be reasonably construed as the same new AO disability."

There is info in the Nehmer Training letter as to your question as well as to Retroactive payment stuff.It depends on the rating sheet and last C & P for the denied claim.

Have you filed a Parkinsons AO claim yet? Has the diagnosis been confirmed yet?

If you file a Parkinsons claim -you should email NVLSP at their AO email addy I have put here in the AO forum.

They want to hear from any AO vet who comes under the three new presumptives- if the same disability was denied by VA in the past - or denied for a disability which can easily be construed as what is now an AO disability.

I don't trust VA to be able to construe any disability in the past as now falling under Nehmer.

If you get into the NVLSP data base, they will make sure the past claim denial is properly considered if it can be construed as same disability you have now.