VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Abestos Lung Desease And Copd

Rate this question

rickj55

Question

Hello all,

I was just recently awarded a 30% disability due to asbestos exposure while on active duty. This came after a denial of my claim which was overturned by a DRO. My problem is in the award it stated my condition warranted a 60 %, but was reduced to 30 because I have COPD as well. My VSO told me they can't do that, that the 2 conditions are "inextricably intertwined" and I should be rated for both. Any one have the evidence I need to fighyt this further? Also in the original statement made by the examiner he stated I told him I was not on oxygen theraphy. This was not true I told him I was. What should I do?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Any decisions showing that COPD and a heart condition are "inextricably interwoven"?

They do go hand in hand, however they are not considered inter twoven, A person who has one condition Service connected and the other one NSC needs to get a doc to state the aggravation of each to each other.

J

If it was my claim I would get a medical opinion that refutes the DRO and also ask for a review cause of the inaccurate information including any paper work that shows you actual condition and use of oxygen.

I would also ask your VSO to help.

Welcome to Hadit

I had a weird experience with lung problems..

I had pnumonia in the usaf and was hospitalized..

onc eina while I would complain to my doctors after I left the USAF about breathign issues shortness of breath..

I chalked it up to intestinal disease cuaind secondary issues..

I never put it in a claim..

my claim has always been chemical exposure, intestinal disease, and neurolgicial disease..

but, when I was hospitalized for the removal of a pancreas syct, I developed lots of othe rproblems..

for at least 2 months I had to breath into a tube to expand my lungs and they x-rayed my lungs at least once a day for 2 months, maybe more while I was an inpatient and confined to a bed for 6 months.. in the VA hospital with lots of blood infections, pancreas, etc..etc... they (the doctors and surgeons) kept grilling me eveyr day asking what I had worked with and what i was exposed too.. they told me I had spots growing in my lungs..)

a couple months later they told me the spots were o longer showing up...

keep in mind I was also getting lots of cat scans and mri's for the pancreas too..

I was not able to move on my own so they tried to do most in my hospitla bed but often I would be wheel into the x-ray dept.

I stil have no clue what happened with these lung problems, and after six months they no longer were concerned with my lungs..

gotta tell ya, it was very bizarre and they were very pushy when they wanted to know what was in my lungs..

I could only tell them my usaf jobs and was unaware about asbestos etc.... only what my jobs were..

btw, my father died of COPD,, he was a disabled Navy vet. he served at Hawai and the Marshal lIsland during Korea..

he smoked 2 packs a day and they still gave have him 100% disability without having to appeal.. they just gave him 1 exam.. he never went to one doctor during his whole life and I knew him until his death at age 62..

Edited by retiredat44