VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nerve Conduction Test

Rate this question

COOL BREEZE

Question

I HAD THE PAINFUL nerve conduction test done the other day. For those who never had this done, it is very painful. They stick needles and shock various parts of your body to see if you have nerve damage. Basically you could do the same thing by sticking your finger in a electrical socket( DON'T try this-just giving an example) The VA had out sourced this test to another private hospital as they were understaffed. Bottom line-technician said she could see I had this with out even giving me this test. Told me you could get this by having diabetic, pre-diabetic, or having been an alcholic. Since I wasn't able to do the comp exam for the same test which is under an appeal, I wonder If they will accept a non comp exam test?

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I know that TRAZODONE is one of them. You would have to check with your doctor as to the others. I was Dr Li in the Washington DC VA for my testing. He is one of the top 3 researchers and doctors on PN that the VA has.

What meds can cause this? I am on bp medicine-service connected.

My results are back. Abnormal results. Per emg/ncs studies done at university hospital you have probable mild right carpel tunnell syndrome and neuropathy of uncertain cause.

This test was lacking for the comp exam-it went ahead without the test.

Now I need to figure out what my next step will be to use this in my claim

This is the result of my nerve conduction test done by an assistant Professor of Neurology

History: nonspecific complaints for many years, foot problems, podiastrist diagnosed him with polyneuropathy, gait problems, imbalance,foot pain, foot tingling,chronic neck pain. Exam shows normal DTR's throughout except absent ankle jerks, some distal sensory loss over feet, walks without aid, no atrophy. Denies diabetes. Admits to prior heavy ETOH use.

Reason for study: no specific question stated in referral. Based on focused history and exam, will evaluate for polyneuropathy.

Summary:

NCS:right median sensory response has prolonged latency. Right ulnar senory, median and ulnar motor, personal motor responses were normal. Right sural sensory response was obtainable.

EMG: chronic denevation potentials were present in the right biceps without other abnormality-this could be old neuropathy /radic or other, not sure of clinical significance . Chronic reinnervation was seen in the right EDB. Otherwise needle EMG in selected right arm and leg muscles normal.

Impression-

This is an abnormal study. There is electrophysiologic evidence of a sensorimotor polyneuropathy with predominantly axonal features. There is also mild right median neuropathy at the wrist

I have been referred to a neuroligist for furthur test. One thing that has been brought up before-I said I occasional had a drink-they labeled me an alcholic. The right bicep issue, I had a motorcycle accident in the military where they picked a lot of gravel out of that knee. I wonder if this test gives me another claim related to that issue. Also, why did they only do the right side. shouldn't they have tested the left side? These issues are affecting both sides, not just the right side. Still researching to see if anything on this test will help me on my current claim at the rating board. I was hoping to tie this in with the severe neck pain with the nerve results. Just don't like the phrase"Admits to heavy ETOH use" I never admitted to that!!

Any inputs-thanks

Hello Cool,, When I got something in my progress reports that was different than yours, I went to the Patient Advocate and they agreed with me and had it removed from my records but it took about 6 months. I still have stuff in my records that are not true , and have not challeneged those issues. It is to your best interest to call your Patient Advocate at the VAMC where you are treated.

I believe there is another way and that is to file a CUE, clear unmistakeable error, though I have not used this to correct problems. I can assure you the VA will try and use the heavy alcohol useage to wiggle out of it as Peripheral Neuropathy can be caused by "HEAVY" drinking or as alcoholism. Whatever the case may be it is in your best interest to get that off your record if possible.

I have PN in all four (4) extremities and is from chemical exposure, AO and nuclear and I have been in the fight for 4 years and no favorable rulings as yet. If you have DMII it is much better as AO is one of the presumptives listed by the VA.

I hope everything works out and that you pursue this so as to get your benefits, but above all remember ,,,,,NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

I had a doctor tell me once that my blood was off but that was from my drinking. I got on her for that statement telling her that I do not drink. I had stopped some 10 years before when I first got injured in the war. Boy did she pissed me off.

Where do these doctor get off thinking all of us vets do is drink all of the time.

This is the result of my nerve conduction test done by an assistant Professor of Neurology

History: nonspecific complaints for many years, foot problems, podiastrist diagnosed him with polyneuropathy, gait problems, imbalance,foot pain, foot tingling,chronic neck pain. Exam shows normal DTR's throughout except absent ankle jerks, some distal sensory loss over feet, walks without aid, no atrophy. Denies diabetes. Admits to prior heavy ETOH use.

Reason for study: no specific question stated in referral. Based on focused history and exam, will evaluate for polyneuropathy.

Summary:

NCS:right median sensory response has prolonged latency. Right ulnar senory, median and ulnar motor, personal motor responses were normal. Right sural sensory response was obtainable.

EMG: chronic denevation potentials were present in the right biceps without other abnormality-this could be old neuropathy /radic or other, not sure of clinical significance . Chronic reinnervation was seen in the right EDB. Otherwise needle EMG in selected right arm and leg muscles normal.

Impression-

This is an abnormal study. There is electrophysiologic evidence of a sensorimotor polyneuropathy with predominantly axonal features. There is also mild right median neuropathy at the wrist

I have been referred to a neuroligist for furthur test. One thing that has been brought up before-I said I occasional had a drink-they labeled me an alcholic. The right bicep issue, I had a motorcycle accident in the military where they picked a lot of gravel out of that knee. I wonder if this test gives me another claim related to that issue. Also, why did they only do the right side. shouldn't they have tested the left side? These issues are affecting both sides, not just the right side. Still researching to see if anything on this test will help me on my current claim at the rating board. I was hoping to tie this in with the severe neck pain with the nerve results. Just don't like the phrase"Admits to heavy ETOH use" I never admitted to that!!

Any inputs-thanks

What I plan on doing now is to wait till I get the appointment to see a neurologist. At that time I will listen carefully and if he brings the drinking issue, I will now state I very seldom have ever drink, and if so is was only once a year and this was over 35 years ago. This should contradict this statement. Sure-when I was in the NAvy, drinking was the thing to do. I even have a picture on face book showing me drinking a beer which the ship gave each one of us 2 beers each. I believe 90 days or so at sea you got the free beer. In fact, one ship I was on stopped off in Guam for few hours (a beer truck was on the pier), we tanked up and off we went continuing onward to San Diego.