VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nod Or Not

Rate this question

KenDawg

Question

Hello all,

I just have a couple of questions in regards to completing a NOD or not.

I put in a claim for a skin rash that started occuring while I was on active duty. Went to the doctor several times. Was diagnosed with "don't remember official name". When I did my VA physical the doc looked over my records and my claim for skin rash and stated it was something else. I was denied due to my records showed one thing and the VA doc stated something else. All in all I still get this reoccuring rash that started while on duty. Do I NOD or do I start the claim process over.

Second item. I claimed sinusitus. One piece of paperwork states sinusitus. It is my fault for not going to the doc more often but I always used some kind of over the counter medicine or toughed it out. My VA doc did not state that I sinusitus but noted that I have a 70 percent blockage in one nostril and 90 percent in the other and something is off center. He also noted that I sniff quit often. VA denied my sinusitus. Not sure how I should handle this sinus issue. I truly believed that I should of got 10 percent if not more.

I am really upset because they denied those to items and there was documentation that there is an issue.

Any insight you guys could provide would be great. Should I try to right the NOD or go to the the Legion or DAV. I hit my one year mark for doing a NOD in March.

Out of all my issues that I claimed for compensation these are the only two that I disagree that was denied the others were a stretch.

Please help

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

KD,

How about posting exactly what the Rating Decision states in the Reasons and Bases Sections

in regards to these two issues and why they were denied. Don't put personel info like name, address, claim #, etc...

Carlie,

I will post as soon as I get a chance. I am currently at work so I don't have documents at my finger tips.

You should file an informal (Letter) NOD as soon as possible, due to the March deadline. The fact that the service records show something, and a VA doctor thinks it's something else confuses matters, but should not be the basis for a denial.

An independent Medical Opinion may be your best way to go. FILE THE NOD!

Chuch75, I will press. If they deny the NOD then do I have another option? I don't want to lose the option to recieve back pay because someone disagrees with a diagnosis. I have nothing but time to see these to issues through. If I have to go to civilian doctor to get a determination I will. I currently go on base but they don't take care of us like they use to 20 years ago. Thats a whole other topic.

• HadIt.com Elder

KenDawg,

I would NOD. This keeps your claim alive, otherwise your date of claim won't stay valid.

You might want to look at my website. I'm not sure if it will help but it won't hurt. It is free...just offers suggestions for researching, organizing and assembling your info. :)

I wish you well in your journey.

fanaticbooks

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the long absence but I was doing some research and NOD question. I was denied my Claim for Sinusitus. I wanted to NOD but as I was rereading my physical examination write up and diagnosis I am more confused to NOD or do a new claim. the doc diagnosed my with Allergic Rhinitis caused my military service. I am posting the write up and diagnosis. Can I claim Allergic Rhinitis based on examination or do I have to start a new claim. Do you think there is a possiblity to get a 10 to 30 percent rating?

Examination: Nasal septum is slightly to the right of midline which with right inferior turbinate hypertrophy causes approximately 90% nasal obstruction. The left turbinate is also hypertrophied resulting in approximately 70 left nasal obstruction. There is no purulent discharge. There is no mucous crusting of the nose. The veteran clears his throat approximately 15 minutes. There is no tissue loss, scarring or deformity of the nose. There is no pain to percussion over the frontal or maxillary sinuses. There is no evidence of disease or injury to the soft palate. There is no nasal regurgitation or speech impairment. Palpation of the larynx reveals no pain. Thyroid is normal, trachea midline. Examination of the oropharynx is normal. Tongue and buccal mucosa are normal.

Diagnostic and Clinical Tests: Sinus x-rays today reveal no abnormality

Diagnosis: 1. Cartilagenous anterior nasal septum deviated to the right. 2. Allegic rhinitis caused by military service.

"2. Allegic rhinitis caused by military service."

Did the doctor refer directly to your SMRs for that statement? wAs this from the C & P excam for the sinusitis?

Did you claim allergic rhinitis in the sinusitus claim?