VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

About Travel Pay....

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

I have an average of 6 appointments a month at my VA clinic, but will soon be traveling nearly daily because of Physical Therapy.

My address is in the same zip code as the VA clinic, but this is a rural area and as it happens we have one zip code that covers a lot of area. It's 16 miles one-way to the clinic from my house, 32 miles round trip. I live at one edge of the zip code, the clinic is at the opposite edge.

When I've submitted travel forms, the checks have been for less than a dollar. When I asked at the clinic about it, they said that sometimes the travel office uses the address, and sometimes they go by distance between zip codes - since I live in the same zip code, I'm getting paid for 2 miles, since one mile is the smallest unit.

Is that correct? If it's true that the VA will only pay travel from zip code to zip code, why do we have to fill in the full addresses we traveled between?

If they won't pay my actual mileage, it's not worth the bother to submit the form. If they will or are supposed to, it would really help! Gas is $3.37 a gallon today, and not likely to go down anytime soon....

Thanks for any help!

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Bonzai, I hope it works out and they're able to distribute it to all regions.

I've always wondered, why don't they automatically send you BT when you show up for an appointment? I know, lots of vets use DAV transport, or shuttles, etc., but they could easily make it a quick question on your check-in process. "Did you drive yourself today? Y/N" ....

I hate asking for Travel Vouchers from the clinic. I feel like I'm asking for a hand-out.

:(

Travel at my VA is a disaster. You wait in line for an hour so you can wait in line another hour to get $6.80

Not ONE line, but TWO lines. One to get a form, then you take the form to another line and wait again.

Our pharmacy also works in the same, Veteran unfriendly, inefficient way.

Our VA has been using the software for a couple weeks. My travel pay went down, because when they had asked me how many miles, I had figured it from the way I always go..the hiway. They want me to go through town and a bunch of traffic lights because its shorter in distance, but will take more time.

I used to get $8.30. That is what this software is about..its about saving money. Its always about "paying Veterans less"

At the Sepulvda clinic that I use it usually takes several hours to get your travel pay. When I have appointments I plan to spend the entire day there and I get my number before checking in for my appointment. I've been lucky and haven't had to sit next to the gal with the two screaming kids. I'm like you and prefer to be where it's very quiet so I'll go outside or sit in the main waiting area.

Rick

This is good to know. They haven't send me anything regarding this new software (I use the Dallas VAMC) so it is probably in the "developmental stage" and they are trying it at your location before setting it up nation-wide. Hopefully it will work, correctly. I don't EVEN try to get my mileage from the Dallas VAMC. Last time I did, it took over an hour with me sitting elbow to elbow with the gal with the two screaming kids, waiting. I do NOT do "crowds" very well. I prefer sitting on the side of a mountain, watching the deer.................................:blink:

• HadIt.com Elder

It is unnecessary to stand in line for travel pay. Some time ago I downloaded the travel form and made a master copy. The day of my travel, after my appointment, I mail the form in for the trip and about 3-6 weeks later I receive a check for my travel. I have counseling every week which pays about $30. Some time ago the VA started paying zip code to zip code, which cheats many vets and over pays others. The forms you sign state that you travel from residence to the VA appt. They should pay the full amount but don't usually. It would be nice to get the correct amount but to me it's not worth the time and stress it'll cause, so I elect to accept what they give. It's still an improvement over the 11.5 cents, a mile, we used to get. jmo

pr

Travel at my VA is a disaster. You wait in line for an hour so you can wait in line another hour to get $6.80

Not ONE line, but TWO lines. One to get a form, then you take the form to another line and wait again.

Our pharmacy also works in the same, Veteran unfriendly, inefficient way.

Our VA has been using the software for a couple weeks. My travel pay went down, because when they had asked me how many miles, I had figured it from the way I always go..the hiway. They want me to go through town and a bunch of traffic lights because its shorter in distance, but will take more time.

I used to get $8.30. That is what this software is about..its about saving money. Its always about "paying Veterans less"

YOU don't have to wait, that's your choice! They will mail it to you! If it bothers you that much to wait an hour or so, for $6.80 I think I would have them mail it to me??? Lets see, what else can we find to bitch and moan about?? Oh wait, how about how long it takes you to cash your VA disability check???

Good idea where do I down load the form and who do you send it to. Thanks

It is unnecessary to stand in line for travel pay. Some time ago I downloaded the travel form and made a master copy. The day of my travel, after my appointment, I mail the form in for the trip and about 3-6 weeks later I receive a check for my travel. I have counseling every week which pays about $30. Some time ago the VA started paying zip code to zip code, which cheats many vets and over pays others. The forms you sign state that you travel from residence to the VA appt. They should pay the full amount but don't usually. It would be nice to get the correct amount but to me it's not worth the time and stress it'll cause, so I elect to accept what they give. It's still an improvement over the 11.5 cents, a mile, we used to get. jmo

pr