VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I Appeal

Rate this question

marine20

Question

maybe someone here can tell me if i got a fair rating

i was awarded 10% for bilateral upper and lower peripheral neuropathy.

here is my c&p results

symptoms present: weakness,stiffness,numbness paresthesias,dysesthesias,pain.

mobility problems; vet can trip over feet as cannot feel them.

course since onset; progressively worse

current treatments. loricet 10/650 prn

response to treatment;fair

assistive devices; cane partially effective is there gait abnormality; yes vet can only walk slowly using a cane for support

nerves affected; small distal peripheral nerves

vibration,pain/pinprick,position sense,light touch are all decreased distal to mid foreams and mid calves

this is secondary to diabetes type2 due to agent orange exposure in viet nam

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Since you were rated has the numbness moved up your arms and legs? Have you ever been examined by a private doctor? Have you had wounds on your feet that have not healed? Your feet is where the real trouble will probably occur so have you had your foot circulation checked by a vascular surgeon? Have you looked at the disability schedule for PN to see where your symptoms rate on the scale? I would file for an increase.

john

no to all questions except to the rating table in the soc it stated that a 20% rating had the same criateria as 10% rating

an evaluation of10% is assigned for incomplete paraiysis of finger and wrist movement, which is mild.

a higher evaluation of 20% is not warranted unless ther is evidence incomplete paralysis of finger and wrist movement, which is moderate.

to me it is severe so i guess it depends on who is having the pain

thanks for your help

Marine20,

Have you been tested by a neurologist for PN? If at all possible, see a private neurologist as he/she will have up to date testing equipment, thus better more accurate results. I was rated at 10% after testing at VAMC. After testing by a private neurologist 6 months later and applying for an increase, I am now rated at 40% bilaterally for lower extremities and 30 & 20% for upper extremities. My PN is also secondary to DM II. Keep a close watch on your blood glucose and for any other diabetes related issues. Good luck and GOD bless.

Edited by johnjjr