VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Dea Percocet Daily Limitations?

Rate this topic

Has anyone receiving opiates for chronic pain been informed that the DEA has recently limited the daily dosage to a maximum of four (4) tablets per day as opposed to the previous limit of six (6)?

I was so informed last week by my "new" PCP.

Has anyone been informed that blood and urine labs have been limited to once per 90 days?

I was so informed last week by my "new" PCP.

I have a very strong suspicion that my "new" PCP has a aversion to prescribing narcotics. She is also unwilling to order labs sooner than every 90 days even though my thyroid results have gone off the charts.

I will at least give her the benefit of the doubt if there are others here who have been given similar limitations.

Thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, my percoset was brought down to 4 a day from 6. They told me this is because I take fentanyl patch. I understand that they are worried about the tylenol in percoset. I do agree that the VA has turned on their heels and are averse to prescribing narcotics now. They are getting heat due to all the prescription drug abuse. The thing with the labs is probably just something to save money. The VA has a cookie cutter approach to pain control. After 6 years of being on narcotics I was told it was all a mistake and I should never have been given narcotics for all these years. Would that be malpractice?

• HadIt.com Elder

they haven't cut mine back yet I get 140 every 28 days last refill was last week but it won't surprise me to see them cut back on them since they are getting hammered by the FDA due to the liver damage caused by the pills

• HadIt.com Elder

"She is also unwilling to order labs sooner than every 90 days even though my thyroid results have gone off the charts."

Good luck with trying to get labs any sooner. My appointsments are between 90 days to six months for yrs now.

The cut in percocets may be due to acudomenifen, (spelling) the DEA is saying causes liver damage.

Liver, Kidney function and Thyroid is something I would like to see more often with taking Depacote.

Some Dr's have more trouble then others treating patients with chronic pain. You have to find one that knows how to treat chronic pain and takes an interest in relieving it.

I take as low a dose of breakthrough and controlled release as they have. I don't like waking up screaming out of a dead sleep. But don't want to keep getting the dose increased where the medication no longer has an effect. Also it's taking high doses of pain meds is where you can get alot of problems, besides functioning like a zombie.

If the FDA and DEA and doctors or patients are worried about the acetaminophen in percocet, you could ask your doctor to just give you the oxycodone alone. I believe that they make the oxycodone pills as low as 5 mg. I read where the reason that they put acetaminophen in percocet is because it reduces fever and has a different added analgesic effect. But there are lots of people that get good pain relief with just the oxycodone.