VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Persian Gulf Illness Claim Approved

Rate this question

vetinpa

Question

I got a letter from the DAV that stated that my increase was approved, however I have not gotten anything from the VA yet. When I spoke to the DAV, they said that it could be 3 days to 14 days. The Va will not tell me a thing. Money is really tight, has anyone had this situation. How long did you wait for retro pay? How long did it take the VA to act?? any help is appreciated. thanks

dav letter is dated 2/3/11

• HadIt.com Elder

Vetinpa

If you are this nervous about your present claim you will be really nervous when and if you file for TDIU. There are no set time limits for deciding these claims. If you are not working and waiting for TDIU that means you need an alternative source of income. When you get ready to claim TDIU get your finances in order for the long haul, so you don't run out of money before your TDIU award. All this talk about 16-27 days for this or that is just BS. You need to be able to go without a check for 6-12 months after you file for TDIU. You don't want to end up losing everything you own because you take the word of someone at the VA that your claim will be awarded any day now. You should also file for SSD when you file for TDIU.

Vetinpa

If you are this nervous about your present claim you will be really nervous when and if you file for TDIU. There are no set time limits for deciding these claims. If you are not working and waiting for TDIU that means you need an alternative source of income. When you get ready to claim TDIU get your finances in order for the long haul, so you don't run out of money before your TDIU award. All this talk about 16-27 days for this or that is just BS. You need to be able to go without a check for 6-12 months after you file for TDIU. You don't want to end up losing everything you own because you take the word of someone at the VA that your claim will be awarded any day now. You should also file for SSD when you file for TDIU.

Thank you for the advice, I would not say that I am nervous, just tring to get some information. So when one files for the TDIU, you should file for social security disability at the same time?

• HadIt.com Elder

If you can't work due to any condition you should file for SSD. The best case is where your file for SSD for SC reason and file for TDIU as soon as you are unable to work. I would start saving my money for the day that I cannot work due to these conditions. Then you can cruise over the rough spots while you wait because you can't continue to work full time while you are waiting for TDIU and SSD. You are looking at 6 months for SSD and possibly as long for TDIU claim to be successful. I went five months without a paycheck myself, but had some money from other sources. It was still uncomfortable to say the least. Ask others how they felt waiting for TDIU or 100%? If you know it is coming prepare for it. I kept working when I should have retired and made things worse for myself.