VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Persian Gulf Illness Claim Approved

Rate this question

vetinpa

Question

I got a letter from the DAV that stated that my increase was approved, however I have not gotten anything from the VA yet. When I spoke to the DAV, they said that it could be 3 days to 14 days. The Va will not tell me a thing. Money is really tight, has anyone had this situation. How long did you wait for retro pay? How long did it take the VA to act?? any help is appreciated. thanks

dav letter is dated 2/3/11

The 800 number usually don't know jack sh*t. If your award is less than 25k you will hear something with a week to 10 days. If it is over 25k it depends on who is available to sign off on the award. Even then it less than 30 days. If it is over 100k it has to go to Central Office in Washington. That can take a few months. You should hear something soon.

k, so I guess I am playing the waiting game, but I had a few more questions that I need to ask. I have or will have the following once I get this rating.

80% combined

Most recent is the fibromyalgia, with the joint and muscle pain, stomach issues, sleep issues, etc. 40%

Skin issues 30%

Back issues, which is what I was put out on with nothing, took 10 years to get to 40%

So all these combined is 80%, It has been a struggle for me to work full time, but I have continued. I have one hell of a time getting through the day, most times having to get up and walk around to even stay awake because of sleep issues, once I do get home, the nerve endings in my legs have a party and put me in misery, I use up my sick time, vacation time and personal days on health issues. I love my job but it is increasingly hard to function at full capacity, it is a desk job, but that is no better for me, sitting is an issue with my back and my legs. Looking at the computer screen all day makes me tired because of my lack of sleep.

I guess bottom line is, I am used to working, I have all my life, I don't know how Not to work but my body is not cooperating very well, How does one in my situation go about applying for unemployability, I would have to quit my job I know that, but how long does a Unemployability claim take? I have 5 volumes of medical records from the VA hospital.

Just wanted to get some thoughts from people? I am totally lost on this issue, appreciate any help you can give. thanks

I hear ya loud and clear! I too am in the same boat as far as back conditions, sleep disorder, etc. are all concerned and still having to work (though I choose to work, but wouldn't mind hitting the lottery and retiring now).

Anyhow, I take Zolpidem (Ambien) to get sleep and Gabapetin to control the pain signals racing up and down my central nervous system due to the back pain caused by degenerative disc disease, herniated discs, and pinched nerves.

During the day I take nothing because anything the VA wants to give me would interfere with my ability to work. My employer got me a better chair, so depending on how I sit and change the positioning of the chair, it gets me through the day. Most of all...mind over matter. I stay positive, focus on work, and enjoy the positive working relationships I have which keeps my mind off the pain and discomfort. I also have a cup of tea when I start feeling sleepy during the day, which helps too.

I also have fibromyalgia too, along with being diagnosed with depression. The VA used to have me on meds for the depression and recently wanted to put me on Lyrica for the FMS. I stopped taking the anti-depression medications years ago, because having a positive mental attitude (mind over matter) and staying focused on the things I enjoy in life (which is being mentally active, mostly, with writing, reading, researching, and helping other veterans with the claims, etc.) helps quash the depression. Don't get me wrong, I still get depressed from time to time depending on what happens during a day or for no discernable reason at all, but I get through it in about a day. I refused the Lyrica given the original purpose of the medicines usage and the side effects were not worth it.

Each individual is different when it comes to treatments, but one thing that has always worked for me is having the mental attitude that I will never let my service connected disabilities control me, I control them. But I am only human, so I must resort to some medications to get through each day...but I take as few as possible as too many medications can interact and cause more problems, or taking some medications for so long of a time can have the possibility of causing more problems. I just don't believe in the VA's motto: medicate medicate medicate the veteran all that you can.

Regarding an unemployabilty claim with the VA, that's a tough one; but from what it sounds like...you may have a good case for it. I believe there is a forum here for that claim specifically that has a lot of resources in it. I would research the requirements of it, and also review Social Security's unemployability standards for disability too. Because once you get approved for unemployability with the VA, I would file a claim for SSA disability too.

T.S.

k, so I guess I am playing the waiting game, but I had a few more questions that I need to ask. I have or will have the following once I get this rating.

80% combined

Most recent is the fibromyalgia, with the joint and muscle pain, stomach issues, sleep issues, etc. 40%

Skin issues 30%

Back issues, which is what I was put out on with nothing, took 10 years to get to 40%

So all these combined is 80%, It has been a struggle for me to work full time, but I have continued. I have one hell of a time getting through the day, most times having to get up and walk around to even stay awake because of sleep issues, once I do get home, the nerve endings in my legs have a party and put me in misery, I use up my sick time, vacation time and personal days on health issues. I love my job but it is increasingly hard to function at full capacity, it is a desk job, but that is no better for me, sitting is an issue with my back and my legs. Looking at the computer screen all day makes me tired because of my lack of sleep.

I guess bottom line is, I am used to working, I have all my life, I don't know how Not to work but my body is not cooperating very well, How does one in my situation go about applying for unemployability, I would have to quit my job I know that, but how long does a Unemployability claim take? I have 5 volumes of medical records from the VA hospital.

Just wanted to get some thoughts from people? I am totally lost on this issue, appreciate any help you can give. thanks

Who lets the DAV know about a claim decision? I am playing the waiting game, so silly me I called the 800 number today, the guy on the phone told me a brokered decision was made on 2/17, that it still had to be reviewed for accuracy, however the DAV letter was dated 2/3, so now I am wondering who notifies the DAV. I had two claims, one went to authorization, which made no sense since it was the denied one, so now I am left in doubt. I tried to call my VSO at the DAV today, but they were all in training.

The guy on the 800 line said it would not be long now, but now I wonder long for what?

I hear ya loud and clear! I too am in the same boat as far as back conditions, sleep disorder, etc. are all concerned and still having to work (though I choose to work, but wouldn't mind hitting the lottery and retiring now).

Anyhow, I take Zolpidem (Ambien) to get sleep and Gabapetin to control the pain signals racing up and down my central nervous system due to the back pain caused by degenerative disc disease, herniated discs, and pinched nerves.

During the day I take nothing because anything the VA wants to give me would interfere with my ability to work. My employer got me a better chair, so depending on how I sit and change the positioning of the chair, it gets me through the day. Most of all...mind over matter. I stay positive, focus on work, and enjoy the positive working relationships I have which keeps my mind off the pain and discomfort. I also have a cup of tea when I start feeling sleepy during the day, which helps too.

I also have fibromyalgia too, along with being diagnosed with depression. The VA used to have me on meds for the depression and recently wanted to put me on Lyrica for the FMS. I stopped taking the anti-depression medications years ago, because having a positive mental attitude (mind over matter) and staying focused on the things I enjoy in life (which is being mentally active, mostly, with writing, reading, researching, and helping other veterans with the claims, etc.) helps quash the depression. Don't get me wrong, I still get depressed from time to time depending on what happens during a day or for no discernable reason at all, but I get through it in about a day. I refused the Lyrica given the original purpose of the medicines usage and the side effects were not worth it.

Each individual is different when it comes to treatments, but one thing that has always worked for me is having the mental attitude that I will never let my service connected disabilities control me, I control them. But I am only human, so I must resort to some medications to get through each day...but I take as few as possible as too many medications can interact and cause more problems, or taking some medications for so long of a time can have the possibility of causing more problems. I just don't believe in the VA's motto: medicate medicate medicate the veteran all that you can.

Regarding an unemployabilty claim with the VA, that's a tough one; but from what it sounds like...you may have a good case for it. I believe there is a forum here for that claim specifically that has a lot of resources in it. I would research the requirements of it, and also review Social Security's unemployability standards for disability too. Because once you get approved for unemployability with the VA, I would file a claim for SSA disability too.

T.S.

Are these service connected? Do you get your meds from the VA?