VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bva--how Long On Average For A Decision?

Rate this question

EODMOMMY

Question

I finally got my husband to call the VA to find out the status of his appeal. The lady was shocked, because it is listed as with the Decision Officer and it has been for two years! She didn't want to have it pulled, because you know what happens then, you go down to the bottom of the pile. But she made a note (at least she said she did) in the computer about it.

On average, how long does it take for the BVA to come down with a decision? I finally got a copy of a letter from our primary doctor saying that my husband's condition is chronic and it started while he was on active duty. It was faxed to our State VA Rep. who is suppose to represent us and send this info to Atlanta, but I am not impressed with this guy, he is the second one we have had, neither one ever communicated with us. But I have no idea if they BVA ever received the letter. Would it be wise to send another copy straight to the VA?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

"It isn't in Nexus format, are they pickey about that?"

I feel the Nexus factor is the most important factor of most claims.

I was just looking at the letter and I need a better letter. He doesn't mention that his symptoms go back to while he was in the service. So they could deny SC, even though they know this has been going on since he was on active duty.

Problem is, most civilian doctors won't put themselves out on a limb to override or support another doctor's oppinion. I worked for doctor's too long, seen it happen.

The one person I need to get off his behind and do this is his cadiologist. He treated him while he was on active duty.

Can anyone direct me into the right direction of an example of what needs to be in the letter and such.

Guest DON20906

I checked my contact at the BVA and the Board is now working appeals that were docketed in April-July 2004. Some VLJs are ahead of that curve. Some are behind.

I finally got my husband to call the VA to find out the status of his appeal. The lady was shocked, because it is listed as with the Decision Officer and it has been for two years! She didn't want to have it pulled, because you know what happens then, you go down to the bottom of the pile. But she made a note (at least she said she did) in the computer about it.

On average, how long does it take for the BVA to come down with a decision? I finally got a copy of a letter from our primary doctor saying that my husband's condition is chronic and it started while he was on active duty. It was faxed to our State VA Rep. who is suppose to represent us and send this info to Atlanta, but I am not impressed with this guy, he is the second one we have had, neither one ever communicated with us. But I have no idea if they BVA ever received the letter. Would it be wise to send another copy straight to the VA?

Guest DON20906

If an appeal is remanded or otherwise diverted from the VLJ working it, it is supposed to be restored to it's place in docket order when it is returned.

I checked my contact at the BVA and the Board is now working appeals that were docketed in April-July 2004. Some VLJs are ahead of that curve. Some are behind.

Maybe this would help- I am describing the IMO I got from Dr. Bash.

First he stated that he had reviewed Post service VA medical records,

past VA medical opinions and rating decisions,

and did a medical literature review.

He then stated his opinion on the veteran's long standing "uncontrolled and untreated" diabetes and also agreed with the brief recent opinion I had asked a VA doctor for (the doctor had treated Rod)

His then listed Special Knoweldge and gave his areas of expertise , adding that he had correlated his experience with MRI, CT scans, and nuclear med scans of thousands of patients with diabetes and cerebral trauma as to the veteran's medical records.

He listed Facts: as to other med info in the records and then added a Discussion of his opinion which included 7 points. Briefly stated here-

The veteran was exposed to Agent Orange and he referred to the Institute of Medicine 2002 Agent Orange Update as to DMII in Vietnam vets.

He again stated the veteran's documented abnormal glucose readings while in a prolonged fasting state.

He stated there was no other etiology for the veteran's diabetes but for AO.

He quoted Braunwald (a well known Cardiovascular medical treatise) giving a page number as to the same Peripheral arterial disease that Rod had as consistent with diabetes.

He referenced the autopsy and death certificate as well as statements made by two additional VA doctors as to the veterans heart and brain involvement from undiagnosed and untreated DMII.

He added a 10 page Curriculum Vitae.

In addition to his opinion and before I requested it I had found significant other medical information to support undiagosed and untreated DMII as well as I supplied copy of VA's own admission of misdiagnosing strokes, heart disease, and their inappropriate medication which the VA agreed in 1997 had caused Rod's death.(FTCA settlement) This allowed me to opine also in my claim that, since the VA had failed to diagnose heart disease, and strokes, and had given the veteran inappropriate medication in "multiple" medical errors that had "all" "hastened" his death (Section 1151 award 1998) Therefore it was most likely that the VA had failed to diagnose and treat the veteran's DMII.

A good IMO should cover what Dr. BAsh's did here-

His medical rationale and expertise that lent him to opine.

References to specifics in the veterans med recs, supported by medical treatise, a "more than likely" statement is in there too-as to the veteran's exposure to AO caused diabetes, undiagnosed (but prevalant from evidence in VA med records back to 1988)which then led to heart disease, strokes, and death.

However I did not need a service nexus-Dr. Bash did not need the SMRs-and the veteran's exposure was confirmed by Judge Richland years ago (Agent Orange settlement fund)

This is why the doctor would need the complete SMRs-in your case-to support the inservice nexus-

I hope this helps- a good IMO does not have to be long- mine is only 2 pages plus the Curriculum Vitae and also Dr. Bash called the VA doctor I got IMO from -and enclosed copy of that opinion too.

In my case prior SOCs and SSocs and other VA documents were highly significant to this IMO and I sent them to Dr. BAsh.

In addition to this opinion I spent the time to associate Rod's specific heart disease and then brain trauma to known medical facts as to the diabetic causation.I enclosed a diagram of two sides of brain showing the veteran's type of trauma and the medical association to DMII-

(not all brain trauma is due to DMII -of course) The submission I did of the heart evidence -I copied an autopsied heart-with LVH very similiar to Rods autopsy in full color into my statement and supported every single piece of medical evidence from the autopsy and the VA Echo as consistent with DMII and supported all of this with med treatises.

I correlated Rod's documented VA medical evidence with information from the Standard medical community to include the ADA, and the AHA and numerous other medical sources.

I went over ever single med rec many times and found that-even without the IMOs- the evidence supporting my claim was overwhelming.

I am getting a little off your question here but my point is that when there is evidence-

it can be found.It just takes long hours of reading and work putting it all together.

Vets -keep all of those SOCs and past decisions -I did, never dreaming I would need them again-in reading them carefully 6-7 years later-they revealed more info than I could see at the time-

And dont do what I did-years ago- I used to I believe what the Narrative said as to their "expert" VA opinions-

When I got the actual opinion it was often much different than I thought-

My claim was filed for Peace with Honor- what my husband wanted in his death. That does not come with a Section 1151 death.

Edited by Berta

Maybe this would help- I am describing the IMO I got from Dr. Bash.

Berta,

Thanks for the info. I am going to have to print it out and hand it to the doctors and ask again for a new letter, especially the cardiologist, since he has treated him while he was on active duty. To me that would be a slam dunk. Of course knowing the VA, they will say that their doctors didn't find anything wrong. Well you wouldn't if you didn't do any of the common tests.

Well, I am back to listening to my daughters fight about something....AGAIN!!! I can't wait till school is back in session.

Guest frank

[/quothii have a question,if the decision officer,has the case,and lady at va stated she did not want to pull the appeal,that would nean it never left va? because decision officer is at va not bva ? frank