VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Really Happend In 4-25-52

Rate this question

Guest frank

Question

Guest frank

dear veteravs, i am writing this to you all to have the full story, of the uss wasp, this was the night we cut the hobson in half,this is knowen as the worst tragedy to happem in non war servici i. about midnight i went down to get a cup of coffie,i heard a scrape,went on deck to see what happend. my brain could not accept what my eyes,seeing,the hobson was cut in half,one piece on each of the wasp , the wasp had lights on yo see into the dark night, the hobson sunk in 4 mins,taking 179 men with her to their graves,they did not stand a change, as they were sleeping. calls were calling out for help 62 men were in the water covered in oil and would die. i make that statment, because we through over 2900 heavy long life rafts,many have hit these saliors causing them to drown,i had seem one come into the light for a second we made eye coctact,help me he asked i through the life raft with other sailors over to where he had called from we never herd his call for help again. icarry guilt for i feel i might of killed him,until the day i die, i will never forget his eyrs or call for help,the wasp is taking in water we have a 75 foot cut on the hull,the skipper of the hobson .jumped to the hull of the wasp,once in port we washed him off with a hose,we could not go fordward because of the hull .so for 3 days we had to go backwards to port,we lived in fear because we could go down sa well there was only 1 life boat for 3000 men. i puller the socket out of my shoulder this would case me to become unemployabley and to go on ssa,the doctor never made a report of my shoulder,he to was in shock to anyone who had a loved one on the hobson be at peace,your loved one did not suffer. this was my maiden voyage. i was in air force before navy in japan,i had a accident at the pool. i dove into water hit my ear causing me a hole in my eardrum,i am kept in hospital 7 months had 3 needles every day for 7 months, my rating? 0,that right i was a staff sergeant,at 20 ys old,on discharge,officer made me write a letter to va and also made nme send to DC to keep my insurance thank god for his help because at that age would of never thought about it or done it. air force wanted me to stay .but i had bigger ideas i was going to see the world i was joining the navy, in 1952 i joined navy stayed on wasp 47 months,never was on a base.i worked on flite deck and saw pilots,become dwcapitation, i knew i had changed somehow, i was always a happy go lucky kind of guy. thay guy died on 4-25-52 never would i be that man again. i was not married at the time so i did not think about a claim,however when i married my wife, told ne to put in a claim i put one in 1971 va states no records found. again i try in 1978,again no records found. but i found there was a lot of activie going on with out my knoledge. i got my records from va in 2003, with the help of a compession va person. in files i found i was granted 100% for air force plus i had my insurance policy the one that paid intrest,someone has changed the adress of policy in 2003,the year i got my files, i can,t get into insurance policy because or address change,and i can,t get a new pin because of address change, in 1994 i get fron va a letter stating you are total disablabled for a non - service accoring to your records of 1948 clear proof va had them all the time. i do think some one has been collecting those checks as i stated i am not married so it would be easy to add their name as my sister or whoever. if not so why the policy change. so that is my story this has nothing to do with money,as i lived without va before, in2004 they gave me 100& ptsd for no hospital or medical i filled a claim an lod still waiting to see what story they come up with.i will never use va my wife has champva she ripped her card in half told them to take her name out of the conputer,we will never use the commissioney if eggs were a dime there and 5.00 here i would pay the 5.00 i can say i hate the va with a psssion frank

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Frank

You should write this account down in good English with no typos. Send it in the Readers Digest. It is a hell of a story. Make a short true fact story of it. This will help you and help you remember details that could help with your claim.

Frank- you sure have been through a lot-

I understand your guilt feelings but Frank-you have held onto these feelings long enough-

It is OK Not to feel guilty anymore- it really is-

I am concerned about the eardrum problem and they gave you "0"?

When is the last time your hearing was checked?

I would add hearing loss to your claim if you feel your hearing has gotten worse- the wife might know better than you do- I know vets who have compensated for poor hearing for so long- without getting it checked- that they dont even realise how bad it is.

Guest frank
Frank- you sure have been through a lot-

I understand your guilt feelings but Frank-you have held onto these feelings long enough-

It is OK Not to feel guilty anymore- it really is-

I am concerned about the eardrum problem and they gave you "0"?

When is the last time your hearing was checked?

I would add hearing loss to your claim if you feel your hearing has gotten worse- the wife might know better than you do- I know vets who have compensated for poor hearing for so long- without getting it checked- that they dont even realise how bad it is.

breya,thank you for your kindness ,i do see a psychologice, once a week this is the first time i could put it into words, about my eardrum, in 2003, when i got my records,there was a rading for s-c. for.eardrum,however in 1978, when i put in a claim,i stated medical records for puncherd ear drum,va wrote back no records found i called va yesterday, i wanted to know just what i was rating for,i am 100%ptsd,tissius 10% hearing loss 0 ,i did file a appeal everything is still in appeal. today my doctor wroth a letter to va,she stated my ptsd is getting because i hvve other medical problems,the shoulder is one, to come my hair i need ti hold my left arm under my right arm because i can;t lift that far,this was done on the wasp we were throughing heavy life boats over to the men in water,this forced me to file ssi,as doctor did not report my shoulder,va denied my claim for unemployable, even with the judge;s rule,and my doctors, letter,i was under dr care from 1970 va would not grant me this benifit,what i am trying to do is ger a earley date at 100% from air force and keep my ptsd at100% for navy, if they make that deal i won,t need to keep putting in claims and appleas, plus the newspaper reportor, wants va to give him medical records from air force,because he say,s that is a long time to be in hospital for eardrum. va also states my medical records were burnted in fire, hiwever a got a letter from va because i filed for a penson,va wrote back you are perment medical disabled ACORING TO YOU RECORDS OF 1948,SO I HAVE PROOF they lied all these years. thank you frank

Guest frank
Frank

You should write this account down in good English with no typos. Send it in the Readers Digest. It is a hell of a story. Make a short true fact story of it. This will help you and help you remember details that could help with your claim.

john yes i would like to write my story, i have seen on other web pages,people ask if any one knoes what happend that night because they had love ones, on the hobson,many wonder could some still be alive,i want them to be at peace, what did you think about the story of th fog? even if i wrote my story va would would still deny my claim but i really would like everyone to know about the hobson and the fog it was a sight to see god heard the preyer of 3000 men,i still get chills when i think about it even with this story va will write me -no records found. frank

Guest frank
Write the story Frank. It might take a burden off your mind.
thank you john, but writing the story is not the answer, the guilt will always be with me when you see something like i did it is burnted,into ypor mind,you would have ,had to be there to realy get the in pack of what you saw.and felt. but i would love to have someone i could hire, to write the story and the story of the fog,people that turn away from GOD will think twice .because i can prove there is a GOD frank

maybe i should write a topic on that,what do you think?