VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ils Program In The Beginning Process...

Rate this question

maine1963

Question

I was recently denied Voc Rehab and ED... I am 100% P&T. I talked to my counselor about getting a new computer (the one that I have is borrowed) and possibly some wood working equipment for starting my furniture hobby. He didn't see a problem with it, but apparently everything gets discussed between ALL of the counselors on a daily basis. If he thinks that there is a possibility of being approved - he will come out and do an evaluation and put it on paper for what I need overall.

I will keep you all posted, as I have seen some other posts about hobby ILS questions.

Greg

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I would guess that, since you are 100% P&T that is why you were denied Vocational Rehab. They may have done you a favor, for if you COULD be Rehabbed then you would not be eligible for 100% P&T (as in Permanent and Total, doncha see?).

But, that is mere speculation on my part.

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't sell ILS short it is much more than just getting a computer. It is supposed to help a disabled veteran stay in their home. Done right they will look at your home and see if there is other stuff that can be done to make your life better and keep you out of assisted living.

They also will consider hobbies and fixing bathrooms or kitchens and even other stuff.

Pete

• HadIt.com Elder

Don't sell ILS short it is much more than just getting a computer. It is supposed to help a disabled veteran stay in their home. Done right they will look at your home and see if there is other stuff that can be done to make your life better and keep you out of assisted living.

They also will consider hobbies and fixing bathrooms or kitchens and even other stuff.

Pete

Pete, you are, of course, right. ILS is a great resource and they, like the chap 35 and CHAMPVA folks, usually do a very good job.

The reason(s) for my denial was my findings for Unemployability and the fact that I am 100 P/T. I am not going to sell ILS short, but rather use it to the fullest extent. Guess I am looking for anyone that may have asked for things like a gym set up, and / or woodworking set up??? Thanks all for your input!

I am waiting for my counselor to get back to me... Not looking for the DAV (advocate) to appeal their decision, but rather for the counselor to start the ILS process and get the "home" review point. I just need ideas to look to them for. One of the problems is that I rent here. But a home gym and wood working shop could be moved to a new home once I build one (was just approved for SAH grant and will start looking for land to build on once spring comes.

Greg