VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ao Question

Rate this question

EODMOMMY

Question

I am getting a headache looking for info on my husband and uncle, so I thought I would ask you all the question. You are more experienced then I am!! :)

On the VBA site they mention deadlines for conditions for AO, but the links they give to Title 38 don't work, so I looked under Title 38 in the section they made you think it was in and found nothing.

On DMII with AO exposure (even casual), is there a deadline that you have to file by or a deadline that you had to have contracted the disease?

Also, what can he use (besides his word), that he was boots on the ground in Vietnam (couple of hours). He was stationed in Okinawa at the time, but went to the Phillipines first and then to Vietnam. The name escapes me where he landed, but my husband knew it when I brought it up to him one night. I know it wasn't Siagon. I don't think my uncle kept any of his paperwork (unlike my husband) from his service. I know when I went to the NARA site and was going to request my husband's service record for him, it led me to the DD-214, which we have. I know none of my husband's TDY's are listed on it, it would have been the size of a book if they had. Too bad my uncle wasn't married to his current wife while he was in the Navy, she is a packrat, that is how I got a copy of my grandfather's Army dischard and his death certificate after my grandmother died.

Also, I seen if you had hypertension prior to being diagnosed with DMII they will deny the claim. I am trying to see if he can get compensation for the DMII and his heart (he had to have by-pass surgery), I don't know if he had blood pressure problems before or after being diagnosed with DMII.

So my questions are:

Is the deadline from AO exposure to being diagnosed with DMII and what is it?

How could he prove (besides his word) that he was boots on the ground in Vietnam? I doubt they cut TDY orders for it, so no paper trail.

This would be a lot easier if there was a link to the Jet Fuel and these conditions. He told me he use to get doused with it all the time. (He was a jet mechanic). He hasn't had any of the conditions that I have seen discussed (at least not that I know of) in regards to jet fuel.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

If you were in RVN and you have DMII then there is no deadline. The VA assumes your DMII is service-connected if you were exposed to AO. If the hypertention was diagnosed before the DMII it may be the DMII was there but was misdiagnosed. If medical records show high fasting glucose readings then that could be evidence of DMII.

John,

Thanks for the info. I will pass it on to my uncle. I tried calling him, but he is playing bachelor this week. His wife is up in Michigan, she just became a grandma again.

I know he is having problems with his feet and the doctor prescribed diabetic shoes for him. I am assuming he is developing PN.

He probably thinks I am nuts bringing this up to him, but he served his country and deserves just as much respect as anyone else who has served and if you got exposed to something while serving, your country should help out.

EOD

Severe PN can led to foot amputations so this is no joke.

Believe me, I know that it can lead to amputation, that is why I am pushing the issue with him. I don't even think he ever thought about it. He joined the Navy so he wouldn't be drafted and served his country and never thought anything about it. I think he is more puzzled by his niece (me) is taking such a concern about it. When I was a little kid and he would come into port in Virginia while my dad was stationed there in the Air Force, I would never talk to him, I saw him as this huge giant!! We now joke about it. But he is my dad's baby brother, so I am concerned.

I am attaching a map of Vietnam-

you will have to zoom it up and this might help him recognize name of where he was-

He most likely would have been in I corps area around Danang(top part below the DMZ).

I think I mentioned in prior post that he should request his SMRS and SRB (Forms NAV 118) on the SF 180 as they would possibly show destinations or arrivals in ports in Vietnam.

Also I posted a link to getting Ships logs-

Also his unit might have a web site-

or the ship itself might have one with a roster and other info.

post-868-1150895499_thumb.jpg