VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iu Claim?

Rate this question

Deacon 2011

Question

Hey Team,

I am new to all of this, just rec'd 80% rating today for TBI with residuals; didn't know anything about IU when I submitted the claim however, VSO suggested I complete the 21-8940 and submit for IU. I had to resign from my job in December because I just couldn't work anymore... my questions are: what are my chances of receiving IU... how long does it normally take (claim took a year)... and must I be IU before I can file for SSDI? I have another claim pending that will at least result in a 90% rating... should I wiat for this claim to be closed or start moving on somehting now?

Sorry for all of the questions but like I said, I am a rookie at this!

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks Yulooking!

i would put iu claim in now. this will b your effective date if granted. yes started your ssdi claim it will take a while. i say this because i am 100% and am just now doing my ssdi case. you will get iu

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually, my experience was that SSA granted SSDI well before the VA got around to even looking at my claim.

I was told (at the time) that two things helped speed up the process.

First, I filed for early retirement (62). This indicates to SSA that they will be paying regardless. Next, a senior SSA clerk was very helpful, and told me exactly what to do.

Another clerk (a junior one at that) was not helpful, and did not have a clue to the process of obtaining an earlier effective date. (Sounds like the VA)

I had to go back to the senior clerk to get things to flow as they should.

Sure... submitted IU paperwork today; will I have to go through another series of C&P exams for this? I just wne through a boat load of them from June through October as it relates to my current rating.

Deacon, Can you change your avatar to 80% as it still has the 40% you previously had. Thanks. Yes put in for IU now.

• HadIt.com Elder

You do need a statement from a doctor who will say that you are unemployable due solely to your SC conditions. If you have that and with 80% I think you will get your IU. Go for it because as these wars wind down I think it will get harder. That is just my opinion. Now is the best time possible to get the highest rating. The public is very sympathetic to vets now. Ten years from now they may think we are all free loaders or war criminals. You never can tell.