VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question On Whether To File A Claim (Hope This Is The Right Forum)

Rate this question

dmc68

Question

Hi, I hope this is the right place to post this.

I filed a claim last week with the VA regarding a back problem. I had a piece of equipment dropped on me when I was in, and the back problem has become huge over the years, back then I did not even think about it. So, now I am filing a claim on it, and the only medical help I have sought on it is back when I was in the Navy. Ever since then I just kind of rode it all out.

Another question I have is that back when I was in, I was raped (kinda hard to talk about here, but I need some advice, and I hope you all can just please respect this, and not look down or anything. This happened while I was in the Navy, but it did not happen on the boat, so I was reading through the info on here, and it says that the VA covers claims that happened in the line of duty. so, if this is not a work related incident I cannot be covered?

Thank you for your time

Dave

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA covers claims when you were in the military service...........what time of day it was does not make a difference. Had a friend of mine that was badly injured driving home on leave...........he is covered.

• HadIt.com Elder

you just need evidence that it happened while you were on active duty doesn't matter if it was in San Diego or Fort Ord or anywhere else NY City anywhere you do need just more than your word though you need medical reports, police reports court records etc to verify it you are on duty 24/7 365 days a year while on active duty you are covered from the day you enlisted until the day you were discharged

Another question I have is that back when I was in, I was raped (kinda hard to talk about here, but I need some advice, and I hope you all can just please respect this, and not look down or anything. This happened while I was in the Navy, but it did not happen on the boat, so I was reading through the info on here, and it says that the VA covers claims that happened in the line of duty. so, if this is not a work related incident I cannot be covered?

Welcome to Hadit.com

We have several members here who experienced Military Sexual Trauma (MST).

Are you having any mental health problems due to this and if yes, are you in therapy at either a VAMC or a Vet Center ?

http://www.vetcenter.va.gov/

Well, I guess my chances are pretty slim in both cases. I think I have documentation in my medical file on my back injury, but I never got treatment for it after I got out, I just sucked it up and dealt with it. As far as the second one goes, I never said anything to anyone at all ever about it until about 3 months ago. So, I guess I will just keep it that way.

Thank you all for your time :)

Dave

you should be fine on your claim to the back injury... you got SMR documentation and that since the va has not helped you nor did they before you discharged it has now become more aggravated. As far as the MST issue might i suggest putting in a claim for PTSD. With PTSD there is a vast grey area....... With PTSD you would only need your word and clinical findings that there is some underlying mental issues. Goto you local va clinic and ask to speak with a psych doc and state its because your haveing some issues that you do not feel comfortable talking with anyone else about. Also the psych doc at the va is the one you need to goto not the local DAV counseling groups or better known as Veterans helping Veterans as this will be more a waste of your time to expedite evidence for a PTSD claim due to the VHV being a private sector group counseling instead of a Va doctor one on one IMO. This would be your best bet in my opinion since there was no record of it. The grey area of PTSD like i said is vast.. and many people esp now have abused this type of claim due to the mere fact they may have never had anything happen to them at all yet... since its all based off what you tell the psych doc at the va when they screen you for PTSD most get some kind of compensation. I know a veteran that was working at a court house with me who was also a OIF vet and he got not joke 90% for PTSD. For the people like you and I who really do have issues just watch what you say to the docs and help will come with due process dont get discouraged... good luck and god bless if you got any questions on the PTSD process just send me mail and ill respond, i am lucky i have a close friend that is an actual va psychologist.