VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Migraine

Rate this question

Reddit

Question

I file for migraines for disability and i recieved 10 percent after an appeal.

Do you think the rating fit this. This is just for 1989 THRU NOV. 1993. ONCE AGAIN THEY DIDN'T HAVE ALL MY TREATMENT RECORDS.

8100 Migraine:

With very frequent completely prostrating and prolonged attacks

productive of severe economic inadaptability.................................................... 50

With characteristic prostrating attacks occurring on an average once

a month over last several months........................................................................ 30

With characteristic prostrating attacks averaging one in 2 months over

last several months.............................................................................................. 10

With less frequent attacks......................................................................................... 0

-------May 1989 Diagnosis at that time was H/ A Cephalagia,

-------Nov 1989 Seen in Urgent Care several times for Migraine headaches with sharp constant pain of frontal region proceeded by visual disturbance and accompany by nausea. I receive a consult to Neurology Clinic. Dr. E.D. Johnson, LT/MC/USNR

------Mar 19, 1990- Seen in Urgent Care for Migraine with headache over left eye associated with bilateral blurred vision, nausea and I receive another consult for

Neurology Clinic. Dr. A. Spears

-----July 1990—I was hospital at Naval Hospital Pensacola, Fl. for Migraine headaches after 72 hrs of sick in quarter.

----January 22, 1991, I was seen in the emergency room for migraine headaches and place SIQ for 24 hrs.

I had some migraines while station at Bethesda. When I was station in Norfolk, I had some attacks there here are some of them.

-------January 3, 1992Headache

------October 29, 1992 Migraine (sick in quarter 24 hours) treated with Mildrin, Fiornial

------January 6, 1993, migraine headache treated with mildrin the night before. (sick in quarters for 24 hrs).

------January 14, 1993 f/u on Migraine

------February 16, 1993, seen at Bayside Memorial Hospital, Norfolk, Va (sick in quarter for 24 hours).

------February 17, 1993 Migraine (sick in quarter for 48 hours)

------February 19, 1993 resolved Migraine

-----March 17, 1993 follow up on Migraine headache

-----July 19, 1993 Migraine headache night before (sick in quarters for 24 hours)

-----July 20, 1993 Migraine headache

-----November 1993 overseas physical- diagnosis with history of chronic migraines (for five years).

JUST MAKING SURE I AM NOT OVER LOOKING ANYTHING.:rolleyes:

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Cluster headaches, chronic cluster headaches, and chronic cluster migraine headaches are all rated as the same thing even though they are completely different disease processes.

I have received 100% SC TDUI P&T for 31 years for chronic cluster headaches rated "as migraines". I had a moderate non-combat head injury in the service. The CHA's started thereafter.

If anyone would like to discuss either the claim or possible treatments for these conditions, please contact me via PM. I have tried every single medication and therapy ever shown to help with the condition. On numerous occasions, I was the only test subject for new medications/treatments. The level of pain associated with these conditions is so severe that there is a special protocol which dictates that if the subject demands that the headache be terminated using what ever means available--research be damned--the doctor is legally obligated to honor the demand . On the wall behind my desk, I have a signed VA medical opinion stating that the conditions listed above do not exist for me or anyone else and proposing to severe SC and discontinue my benefits. Next to the proposal is a drawing showing the locations of the pain that I experience with a hand written notation by a VA nurse that no one could feel pain in the locations depicted in the drawing. The drawing is still used on the pamphlets distributed with GlaxoSmithKline Imitrex (sumatriptan) injections was created by yours truly at VAMC Seattle. Right beside it is a letter from Dr. Lee Kudrow, M.D., the world's leading headache researcher, announcing his intention to testify in person at his own expense at my DRO hearing in 1980 appealing the VA purposed reductions. Right beside that letter is a letter from the VA stating that the DRO hearing would not be required because the rater/examiner had committed CUE. My benefits were restored completely and rated as P&T.

Dr. Kudrow and I both agreed later that we should have demanded the hearing anyway so that other veterans with these conditions could benefit from the information and decisions. The VA had access to all of Dr. Kudrow's research but chose to ignore it. I attempted to provide them with the research and literature, but, while noting my offer, the examiner refused to accept and review it. Dr. Kudrow sent it directly to the examiner with a scathing letter questioning the examiner's knowledge, professionalism and intelligence.

Cluster headaches and their variations were finally awarded their own diagnostic code just a couple of years ago.

Please refer to this website for various headache diagnostic codes and explanations:

http://www.icd9data.com/2009/Volume1/320-389/339-339/339/default.htm

http://ihs-classification.org/en/01_einleitung/03_anleitung/

http://ihs-classification.org/en/02_klassifikation/02_teil1/01.00.00_migraine.html

http://ihs-classification.org/en/02_klassifikation/02_teil1/03.01.00_cluster.html

One point being that solid evidence and expert opinions win claims. The other point is that proper treatment can improve your quality of life considerably. The hadit experts have shown you how to proceed with your claim. I am very willing to discuss the treatments which have benefited me and others with whom I come into contact.

Good luck!

Berta is correct, VA will reconsider the claim along with this evidence that was

not of record at the time the prior decision was made.

So there is not a cue involved.

what form am I supposed to use.

I dont know of any form

Just put RECONSIDERATION REQUEST on the letter (with your C file number ,name address etc)and

Say This is a Reconsideration Request based on the enclosed letter they sent to you dated -whatever the date was Dec 1998 I think?-since the missing service records have now turned up and are enclosed.

Tell them you feel the enclosed medical evidence warrants a higher rating then that decision held and proper retroactive award for the migraines and then refer them to and enclose the regulation that Carlie posted link to.

Reference the enclosures on the bottom of the letter and put your name and c file number on each enclosure and total them up

Example :

Enclosures: Copy of Dec 1998 decision 3 pages

Copy of regulation below 1 page

Copies of former missing service records 7 pages

Total enclosures 11

Copy letter,sign and mail to the VARO with proof of mailing such as USPS tracking slip.

Edited by Berta