VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi- Should I Prevent The Headache And Get An Attorney First?

Rate this question

Deacon 2011

Question

Lots of information in this forum... I was just rated 80% SC for TBI and Cognitive disorder... getting documents together to file for SSDI... should I avoid the headach and anxiety of an initial denial and just get an attorney?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Lots of members have done it different ways, and received different results. Many times, an attorney will tell you to wait until you have received your initial denial from Social Security, while other attorneys represent you from the get go. Not much help, I know. I see advertisements for various Social Security disability advocates all the time, asking you to come on in for a free consultation.

I think it really boils down to with what you are comfortable doing. Personally, I applied first, got denied, and then retained an attorney. And then a lot depends on the Administrative Law Judge (ALJ), if you go to a hearing, as some are good and some are bad.

One thing I would recommend to use is Patrick's Self-Help Report @ http://vets.yuku.com/topic/2822/SSDI-Self-report?page=1 which is an example in converting DSM-IV diagnosis to Social Security Blue Book Listing of Impairments, and explain how each affects you.

Hope this helps...

BTW. My lawyer thought we had an open and shut case, but now after a bad ALJ, we are awaiting a decision from the Social Security Appeals Council. Never give up...

WOW! Thanks for the info... these processes can be so disheartening, it's like they hope you will either give up or die before a decision is made.

Lots of members have done it different ways, and received different results. Many times, an attorney will tell you to wait until you have received your initial denial from Social Security, while other attorneys represent you from the get go. Not much help, I know. I see advertisements for various Social Security disability advocates all the time, asking you to come on in for a free consultation.

I think it really boils down to with what you are comfortable doing. Personally, I applied first, got denied, and then retained an attorney. And then a lot depends on the Administrative Law Judge (ALJ), if you go to a hearing, as some are good and some are bad.

One thing I would recommend to use is Patrick's Self-Help Report @ http://vets.yuku.com...f-report?page=1 which is an example in converting DSM-IV diagnosis to Social Security Blue Book Listing of Impairments, and explain how each affects you.

Hope this helps...

BTW. My lawyer thought we had an open and shut case, but now after a bad ALJ, we are awaiting a decision from the Social Security Appeals Council. Never give up...

Deacon,

I used that self-report Bonzai mentioned.

Lotta good info from member Fanaticbooks

Not unusual to take a couple years or more to win SSDI; most folks are denied first round and on reconsideration.

Attorneys don't really make any money helping you until after you've been denied so, I recommend building a strong case before that happens.

Best seems to be to clearly meet specific ailment criteria in Title 38.

Key is documentation from medical professionals indicating that you are unable to perform ANY type of work for at least one year and WHY this is the case.

The big first step is deciding if you feel able to handle your own case; no one will put more effort into winning for you than You will, but it takes devotion to self-education on the Process.

Good luck! :smile:

Hi Deacon,

I know my post about my experience with SSDI was not a positive one. My personal suggestion is to do the initial filing yourself if you can handle the filing and the probability of an initial denial. So your physical, mental and financial position should be your guide. The reviewers and their "opions" are such a craps shoot (as a wise man on this site termed it) that the first round is something I felt was worth trying to be a little greedy about (for a lack of better term). If it comes back denied, then the lawyers will still be hungry for your case.

Others on this site have just said forget it, and turned the whole thing over to an attorney from the beginning. My gamble of doing the initial application didn't work out so well, and I did turn it all over to an attorney afterwards. Even if I had to do it all over again, I would have handled it the exact same way.

Either way you go, as many here have said, don't give up!

My best wishes to you.

Ruski

Thanks Everyone!

As mentioned, I am new to all of this; the best thing that I've done over the years is maintain records of everything, I mean everything. I used all of the info and examples listed n this site and the links you guys have provided to other sites and I've compiled a notebook full of infomation to provide to the SSA tomorrow. I frequently use the freedom of information act and other means to get records of anything that happens to me.

I am taking your advbice and rolling the dice, one of my conditions alone (TBI) is 70% SC, if I crap out, I'm getting an attorney.

Hi Deacon,

I know my post about my experience with SSDI was not a positive one. My personal suggestion is to do the initial filing yourself if you can handle the filing and the probability of an initial denial. So your physical, mental and financial position should be your guide. The reviewers and their "opions" are such a craps shoot (as a wise man on this site termed it) that the first round is something I felt was worth trying to be a little greedy about (for a lack of better term). If it comes back denied, then the lawyers will still be hungry for your case.

Others on this site have just said forget it, and turned the whole thing over to an attorney from the beginning. My gamble of doing the initial application didn't work out so well, and I did turn it all over to an attorney afterwards. Even if I had to do it all over again, I would have handled it the exact same way.

Either way you go, as many here have said, don't give up!

My best wishes to you.

Ruski

• HadIt.com Elder

My experience with Social Security was very good. I filed my claim and submitted a copy of my Medical Records including my 30 day stay at VA Hospital. Social Security had me see two Doctors and I was getting a check within 4 months of filing. They even backdated my award to the last month I worked.

I did not have a Lawyer and I asked them to help and they did. For several years I have helped people who wanted it to fill out the forms. They can be tricky and if you are not careful you can mess up.

One tip is to use the last day you worked as your start date as long as it does not get you into a filing problem. Many wait to file and time flies and SS will say no if you don't file in time.

Good Luck