Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

Rating For Parkinsons

Papa
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

I have been trying to find the rating scale for Parkinson's, and can not locate it. Is there a rating for this?

Papa

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

9 answers to this question

I heard it was 100%-no lower ratings-

and found this:

"At the PAN website you will also see a link to VA information: VA Publishes Final Regulation to Aid Vietnam Veterans Exposed to Agent Orange

On August 31, 2010, The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)  published its final regulation establishing Parkinson’s disease, ischemic heart condition, and B-cell leukemias as service-connected disabilities for Vietnam veterans exposed to Agent Orange. The final regulation grants a 100% disability rating for Parkinson’s disease, as well as retroactive veteran and survivor payments for qualifying veterans. There will still be a 60 day review period by Congress before payments go into effect. "

http://medicalcenter.web.id/health-blog/parkinsons-disease-news-updates-august-2010.html

But at the VBM website a spouse said they rated her husband's Parkinson's as 4 PN awards.

I will try to find more-I could not even find the diagnostic code they will be using.

The PAN web site says 100% too.

http://www.parkinsonsaction.org/federal-initiatives/veterans-affairs/disability-benefits

Thank you once again Berta. My thinking was they would start off at say 10%, and as the disease progressed the Veteran would have to continuously put in request for a higher rating. Or, they would rate the disease in segments. I have already put in a claim using the Fast Track system. I guess we will see how fast it is. Would the effective date be the date that I submitted my claim. Or, would it be based upon my Doctors statement as too when I actually had PD? My Doctor said that my tremors has been masking my PD. But, the symthoms really started to show when I started to fall down, and started choking on food. That is a real problem when you have a eating disorder like I have.

Papa

Papa I am uncomfortable with the rating info I posted from PAN.

I have searched a lot on this and still cannot find any specific in the Schedule of Ratings as all.

I believe the VA rates Parkinsons as a neurogenerative disorder based on symptoms and residuals.But I cannot find anything concrete as to how they will actually rate this.

I agree with you that there would would progressive ratings but hopefully maybe someone else will chime in here with some help.

Berta,

The Code will be 8004, Paralysis Agitans, and the lowest rating will be 30%. This is from a personal friend that works at a VARO.

Papa

Bump- For Berta

Thanks Papa , that is good info to have here. I thought it would be coded as a neurogenative disorder but have found nothing in the Schedule of ratings.

The 8000 diagnostic codes are pretty intricate.

They can cover many residuals of Parkinson's , or CVAs or many other neuro-based conditions.

I have a CUE claim pending ,in part for 2 wrong diagnostic codes they used for stroke residuals which could apply possibly for Parkinsons as well as MS.The medical evidence of record warranted a 100% rating.

I wonder how many vets with PArkinsons are still unaware that this is now AO presumptive.

Berta,

I think the reason that it is not known is because the Heart condition and DMII has dominated these posts, and other Vet web-sites. I know of one Vet that got rated at 60% for PD. But, I still would think that the VA would rate this at 100%, and not make the Vet keep coming back everytime the disease gets worse. I know, its all about the money :rolleyes:

Papa

Berta,

I think the reason that it is not known is because the Heart condition and DMII has dominated these posts, and other Vet web-sites. I know of one Vet that got rated at 60% for PD. But, I still would think that the VA would rate this at 100%, and not make the Vet keep coming back everytime the disease gets worse. I know, its all about the money :rolleyes:

Papa

nope my husband didn't get a 100 percent for Parkinson's

Always remember VA will never "volunteer" a rating for more or higher percentage without prodding. Look at the TDIUs for examples. Porphyria Cutanea Tarda is another classic. DC 7815 is for application yet most PCT rated Vets get phlebotomies. VA is in the habit of giving you 10% based on the phlebotomies or for skin damage/scars/ or active pustules called bullous pemphigoids. What they will not tell you is that DC 7704 (Polycythemia Vera) is for application as it is the only one that offers a rating for phlebotomies. Result? 40% but you will never get this unless you ask for it. Parkinson's will go the same route as will TBIs. They'll start low and wait until you appeal to toss in the next higher rating. If you continue your appeal, they'll wait until five minutes before departure to the BVA after certification before reluctantly upping it again.

They're an insurance company and have the same mindset. Geico doesn't get rich and pay its shareholders if they are profligate and grant every claim for a fender bender that comes through the front door. They lowball. VA just took a page from their game plan and incorporated it into their modus operandi. Obvious claims get paid. Complicated ones with "iffy" evidence don't on the first trip around the block. Parkinsons is rare with respect to AO. They're out there but comprise less than 1% of AO claims currently. All that will change if we live long enough to come down with it. That's the trick, huh? 867,000 of us left and we're falling like flies.When there are only a thousand V Vets left, they'll recognize the plethora of autoimmune disorders such as Crohn's, UC, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Cryogloblulinemia. Same thing for all the Radioactive 50's Vets who glow in the dark. One day they'll say non-ionizing radiation is suspect which everyone knows already.

Best of luck and give the DCs a good going over. Justice is ever-evolving proposition rather than a static model. New interpretations of old jurisprudence are constantly being uncovered. If this were not the case, we'd only have single judge decisions at the CAVC. Since we still see 30 or more panel opinions and the occasional en banc emerge from 625 Wagonburner Lane NW, we can only assume there's more where Buie came from.

Buckwheat sends

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines