VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rating For Parkinsons

Rate this question

Papa

Question

I have been trying to find the rating scale for Parkinson's, and can not locate it. Is there a rating for this?

Papa

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I heard it was 100%-no lower ratings-

and found this:

"At the PAN website you will also see a link to VA information: VA Publishes Final Regulation to Aid Vietnam Veterans Exposed to Agent Orange

On August 31, 2010, The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)  published its final regulation establishing Parkinson’s disease, ischemic heart condition, and B-cell leukemias as service-connected disabilities for Vietnam veterans exposed to Agent Orange. The final regulation grants a 100% disability rating for Parkinson’s disease, as well as retroactive veteran and survivor payments for qualifying veterans. There will still be a 60 day review period by Congress before payments go into effect. "

http://medicalcenter.web.id/health-blog/parkinsons-disease-news-updates-august-2010.html

But at the VBM website a spouse said they rated her husband's Parkinson's as 4 PN awards.

I will try to find more-I could not even find the diagnostic code they will be using.

The PAN web site says 100% too.

http://www.parkinsonsaction.org/federal-initiatives/veterans-affairs/disability-benefits

Thank you once again Berta. My thinking was they would start off at say 10%, and as the disease progressed the Veteran would have to continuously put in request for a higher rating. Or, they would rate the disease in segments. I have already put in a claim using the Fast Track system. I guess we will see how fast it is. Would the effective date be the date that I submitted my claim. Or, would it be based upon my Doctors statement as too when I actually had PD? My Doctor said that my tremors has been masking my PD. But, the symthoms really started to show when I started to fall down, and started choking on food. That is a real problem when you have a eating disorder like I have.

Papa

Papa I am uncomfortable with the rating info I posted from PAN.

I have searched a lot on this and still cannot find any specific in the Schedule of Ratings as all.

I believe the VA rates Parkinsons as a neurogenerative disorder based on symptoms and residuals.But I cannot find anything concrete as to how they will actually rate this.

I agree with you that there would would progressive ratings but hopefully maybe someone else will chime in here with some help.

Berta,

The Code will be 8004, Paralysis Agitans, and the lowest rating will be 30%. This is from a personal friend that works at a VARO.

Papa

Thanks Papa , that is good info to have here. I thought it would be coded as a neurogenative disorder but have found nothing in the Schedule of ratings.

The 8000 diagnostic codes are pretty intricate.

They can cover many residuals of Parkinson's , or CVAs or many other neuro-based conditions.

I have a CUE claim pending ,in part for 2 wrong diagnostic codes they used for stroke residuals which could apply possibly for Parkinsons as well as MS.The medical evidence of record warranted a 100% rating.

I wonder how many vets with PArkinsons are still unaware that this is now AO presumptive.