VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Could A Fire Sale Cut The Va Claim Backlog?

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Im not so sure this is a bad idea for everyone only if the Vet himself could decide. It would be a choice between "money now" and maybe more money later.

It does remind me of the "JD Wentworth" commercials. Do you have a structured settlement but you need cash now? Then he says, "Its your money, use it when you need it." This plan would be "Jd Wentworth" of the VA, as it should be obvious that JD Wentworth is not doing this for free. Should we ban JD Wentworth, because people with an annuity would get more money if they just waited? I dont think so. Even tho some people who "take" the early money would likely regret it, some people who buy a new car, regret that decision as well.

There may be compelling reasons to accept less now. One of these would be that the Veteran is too weak, emotionally or physically, to fight the VA in appeals for 7 or 8 years, and just wants to get it over with. There is something to say for a "peace" that you have knowing its over. Remember that many, many, many Veterans "give up" on their benefits and quit fighting and get zero. While we dont see many of those here, because hadit members are fighters, we need to take into account there are about 21 million Veterans, and most of those are not hadit members, tho I will agree that they would be better off if they were.

Bottom Line: Let the Vet decide if he wants (presumably less) money now, rather than maybe more later. Who are we to decide other Veterans financial decisions? Social Security already does this: If you take your social security at age 62, you get less than at age 65, etc. Each recipient decides what is best for his situation. I dont think we need the government making our financial decisions for us...remember the fiduciary scandal where the government "takes care" of the Veterans money for him hasnt worked out all that well for many Veterans.

BS.... JD wentworh annunities and va Benefits cannot be compaired.. Annunities are already yours no matter how long it takes to get.. and it is still your families when you die.. VA compensation is not yours until the check in put in your account..

Edited by Teac

• HadIt.com Elder

This has been a little bit touchy but still a good exchange is important as it is an issue that some who come to Hadit might have to grapple with ?

However, I want to make it clear to the Board that Bob Filner is a friend to Veterans and has led many fights always standing tall for Veterans, He has also taken the time to guest on the SVR radio that Hadit has supported since it started.

For the time being will leave the topic open but Hadit rules will be enforced. That includes no disrespect to Rep Filner.

This will probably never happen but once they talk about it its an issue we need to watch.

• Founder

Bob Filner has been a friend to veterans, I am not sure if this bill is a good idea or not. I would have to see the statistics on how many veterans this would help. My gut instinct is that this isn't a good idea. However, it may be a very good thing, it's just really hard to say.

Now if this becomes law and that is a big if, it most likely will look different than the proposal on the table now.

This is worth discussing but keep it non political, no flames towards each other or towards any congressman, this will distract from the conversation.