VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filing On Your Own :: Unwise Or Wise?

Rate this question

autumn

Question

is it better to have the pva and others like them to file the claims for veterans?

do veterans stand a chance doing so on their own?

i don't know, maybe i'm just beating a dead horse on a sat. but sometimes, going through these org's is frustrating. it's like they just type a little note to the VARO and yet we're still at the mercy of the VARO. that is, what's the difference between them writing a note to VARO versus me?

i'll add this, i had to go with a pva rep out of state here due to the pva rep here was a bit unhelpful and detrimental to my case. so i don't know if the VARO resents that or what. you know?

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I agree with the replies stating that representing yourself is far better than placing your trust in someone else who is doing it merely as a job (i.e. their incentive is their paycheck vs. the interests of the veteran's case, because they get paid either way).

If you can find a volunteer SO or another veteran who has been through the system and is educated (for example, in the law (e.g. paralegal) and is an effective communicator - both orally and written), then you may go that route as their interests are your interests vs that of a paycheck.

There are lawyers out there who do have a veteran's interests at heart, but never doubt they too still want that cut of whatever benefits are approved (i.e. it's their paycheck).

Notwithstanding, there is no better advocate for your right to file a claim with the VA than you.

If you do represent yourself, the best thing you can do is read up on as much medical literature that you can find about the conditions you're claiming; do research on those claims and how other veterans appealed and won by reviewing past BVA decisions (which are all online and searchable), and review the same USC and CFR the VA does where disability compensation and benefits are concerned. The more you learn and know, the better you will be at communicating and getting your claim approved.

On a side note, know that it takes time whether you're representing yourself or have a SO helping you. The VABA is notoriously slow despite their public statements to the media that they're getting better and faster at processing claims (well, they are in one respect...in denying them).

T.S.

I agree with the replies stating that representing yourself is far better than placing your trust in someone else who is doing it merely as a job (i.e. their incentive is their paycheck vs. the interests of the veteran's case, because they get paid either way).

If you can find a volunteer SO or another veteran who has been through the system and is educated (for example, in the law (e.g. paralegal) and is an effective communicator - both orally and written), then you may go that route as their interests are your interests vs that of a paycheck.

There are lawyers out there who do have a veteran's interests at heart, but never doubt they too still want that cut of whatever benefits are approved (i.e. it's their paycheck).

Notwithstanding, there is no better advocate for your right to file a claim with the VA than you.

If you do represent yourself, the best thing you can do is read up on as much medical literature that you can find about the conditions you're claiming; do research on those claims and how other veterans appealed and won by reviewing past BVA decisions (which are all online and searchable), and review the same USC and CFR the VA does where disability compensation and benefits are concerned. The more you learn and know, the better you will be at communicating and getting your claim approved.

On a side note, know that it takes time whether you're representing yourself or have a SO helping you. The VABA is notoriously slow despite their public statements to the media that they're getting better and faster at processing claims (well, they are in one respect...in denying them).

T.S.

i've had one attorney group represent me. i did all the paperwork, appointments, got stuff to my c-file, etc. they did request a c&p, which got me a diagnosis finally. and they sent a couple of generic letters to the VA. never once did the attorney speak with me, only his assistant. considering they got 20%, just didn't seem right since i put way more effort into it than they did.

which is why i'm leaning to doing this myself for new claims, record corrections, etc that will be approaching.

finding a person who could help on the side, now that is a good idea and doable i think. and i would need that

thx

I signed up with a couple veteran organizations but they were zero help, especially the DAV. I had one VSO at the DAV tell me there was no way my claim would get approved and he suggested I start over from scratch. I'm now sitting at 100% service connected with 10 years of back pay on the initial appeal. I did all the leg work, kept pushing through the red tape and collected yearly medical paperwork documenting my ongoing problems. Documents, medical opinions, and patience. I'm an eternal skeptic and just used old fashioned grit to work the claim myself, researching what I could, and just kept pushing through.

I signed up with a couple veteran organizations but they were zero help, especially the DAV. I had one VSO at the DAV tell me there was no way my claim would get approved and he suggested I start over from scratch. I'm now sitting at 100% service connected with 10 years of back pay on the initial appeal. I did all the leg work, kept pushing through the red tape and collected yearly medical paperwork documenting my ongoing problems. Documents, medical opinions, and patience. I'm an eternal skeptic and just used old fashioned grit to work the claim myself, researching what I could, and just kept pushing through.

thanks for the reply

i've run into the same more often than not. like you did all the leg work, pain in the butt to some people, but finally got the deserved correct diagnosis of MS, etc when all the naysayers it was just in my head and forget it.

i really have made more progress doing it the old fashioned way versus relying on too many others. and my documents bear the truth, when no one would listen.

happy to hear it so far has worked out for you. cheers

There's really not much i can add, as all the replies are good & come from experience. I'll just summarize: it's good to have a POA (or however u wanna call the orgs) because they can usually check up on claims, and I've had them submit things to me in the middle of me rating a claim, or call me or come to my desk to check up on a claim & see what stage its at. But yes, they can get overwhelmed, and you must stay proactive on your claim.

If you are willing to remain proactive yourself, then you don;'t need one, but I have found that in our office at least, it's good to have one.

There's really not much i can add, as all the replies are good & come from experience. I'll just summarize: it's good to have a POA (or however u wanna call the orgs) because they can usually check up on claims, and I've had them submit things to me in the middle of me rating a claim, or call me or come to my desk to check up on a claim & see what stage its at. But yes, they can get overwhelmed, and you must stay proactive on your claim.

If you are willing to remain proactive yourself, then you don;'t need one, but I have found that in our office at least, it's good to have one.

thank you for your time and advice...