VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filing On Your Own :: Unwise Or Wise?

Rate this question

autumn

Question

is it better to have the pva and others like them to file the claims for veterans?

do veterans stand a chance doing so on their own?

i don't know, maybe i'm just beating a dead horse on a sat. but sometimes, going through these org's is frustrating. it's like they just type a little note to the VARO and yet we're still at the mercy of the VARO. that is, what's the difference between them writing a note to VARO versus me?

i'll add this, i had to go with a pva rep out of state here due to the pva rep here was a bit unhelpful and detrimental to my case. so i don't know if the VARO resents that or what. you know?

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

autum,

NO- the VARO doesn't resent that.

If you're on the ball you can represent yourself at the VARO and BVA level.

Some want to some don't - if one is hesitant then perhaps they should get a VSO.

Personally, my claim issues have garnered more success when I have represented

myself, both at the VARO level for DRO Hearings and the BVA level for ALJ Hearings.

Had I not started out many moons ago with a VSO - I do not think I would have gotten

wrapped up in Appeals from claim issues being filed 1/2 azzed and not followed through.

But, as I posted that all began many moons ago and I feel some of the VSO's have gotten better.

Keep in mind that when you sign the POA for representation, they can file or not file, anything of their

choice without your knowledge - they have your initial signature and need nothing more.

hi,

is there a way to check on what the pva has filed and/or correspondance that occurs behind the scenes?

If you can find a volunteer SO or another veteran who has been through the system and is educated (for example, in the law (e.g. paralegal) and is an effective communicator - both orally and written), then you may go that route as their interests are your interests vs that of a paycheck.

T.S.

is there a website that one can find volunteer SO's ? or something like that? i don't really want to go through another legal firm. took too much % for too little work.

i'm not going to toss a wrench in the gears for what the pva has already started but i have other claims i'll need to file and would like to try doing that myself.

• HadIt.com Elder

...........and, from another point of view:

You have someone that you have never met (he's a friend of a friend) call you up and want to meet with you (all the places to meet, including my office, were not workable for him so I drive 40 miles to meet with the fellow). The first thing he has to say is "I hope you are not like that last SOB......." (I hope that I am not, either). Then he goes into a 1 1/2 hour story about how the military screwed him around, how the VA screwed him around, how more than one National Service Organization screwed him around, all the while that I am trying very hard to actually find out what I can do to help this veteran. When I finally get a word in edgewise, he goes to his car and comes back with a box of papers. On the top are about 6 letters that HE has written to the DAV, VFW, AL and to his Congressman and to his Senator and to the State's Veterans Commission, telling each and every one of them how he thinks that each and every OTHER one of them are, to put it politely "scums-of-the-earth". Then, in the stack immediately below these letters are about 12 inches of correspondence between him and the VARO (Waco, in this case) concerning missed C&P's, letters to the VARO Service Center Manager, claims that he WANTED to file, claims that he did file, claims that the various Service Orgs filed FOR him.........yada, yada, yada, and in no particular order. Nowhere was there ANY service medical records, VA treatment progress notes, no DD214......nada, nada, nada. Then he looks at his watch, tells me he has to go, and that he wants to hear from me "by this time next week".......gets up, walks out, and leaves me to pay for the coffee.

AND, I VOLUNTEERED FOR THIS!

I went home, looked in the hall mirror and said "YOU SCHMUCK!"

You have someone that you have never met (he's a friend of a friend) call you up and want to meet with you (all the places to meet, including my office, were not workable for him so I drive 40 miles to meet with the fellow). The first thing he has to say is "I hope you are not like that last SOB......." (I hope that I am not, either). Then he goes into a 1 1/2 hour story about how the military screwed him around, how the VA screwed him around, how more than one National Service Organization screwed him around, all the while that I am trying very hard to actually find out what I can do to help this veteran. When I finally get a word in edgewise, he goes to his car and comes back with a box of papers. On the top are about 6 letters that HE has written to the DAV, VFW, AL and to his Congressman and to his Senator and to the State's Veterans Commission, telling each and every one of them how he thinks that each and every OTHER one of them are, to put it politely "scums-of-the-earth". Then, in the stack immediately below these letters are about 12 inches of correspondence between him and the VARO (Waco, in this case) concerning missed C&P's, letters to the VARO Service Center Manager, claims that he WANTED to file, claims that he did file, claims that the various Service Orgs filed FOR him.........yada, yada, yada, and in no particular order. Nowhere was there ANY service medical records, VA treatment progress notes, no DD214......nada, nada, nada. Then he looks at his watch, tells me he has to go, and that he wants to hear from me "by this time next week".......gets up, walks out, and leaves me to pay for the coffee.

sorry to hear that happened though i'm not surprised.

i would be looking for someone to help write notes on forms the correct way. i've searched all my records, mil & va & civilian, and put all pertinent info for each claim in nice neat chronological order with notes regarding each. these would be submitted to my c-file.

i just don't know what to write, what forms, and what should be sent to c-file versus what should be left out.

no one better than me could go through all those records and be cognitive of the selection. i did the same for all the IMOs which is why it didn't take them long and why they were favorable for each claim. the truth and supportive docs are there, they just needed to be put in a correct order and in favorable presentation view, versus 24 yrs of being strung all over the place along with parts hidden in between other non-sensical papers.

if i don't find anyone i can trust, i'll give em to the pva piece-meal, one claim at a time.

• HadIt.com Elder

sorry to hear that happened though i'm not surprised.

i would be looking for someone to help write notes on forms the correct way. i've searched all my records, mil & va & civilian, and put all pertinent info for each claim in nice neat chronological order with notes regarding each. these would be submitted to my c-file.

i just don't know what to write, what forms, and what should be sent to c-file versus what should be left out.

no one better than me could go through all those records and be cognitive of the selection. i did the same for all the IMOs which is why it didn't take them long and why they were favorable for each claim. the truth and supportive docs are there, they just needed to be put in a correct order and in favorable presentation view, versus 24 yrs of being strung all over the place along with parts hidden in between other non-sensical papers.

if i don't find anyone i can trust, i'll give em to the pva piece-meal, one claim at a time.

Go to va.gov website and download the VA Form #21-526EZ.......read the directions carefully and gather the paperwork that the form tells you to gather (very good "instructions" are included), then fill out the form and send it, along with your "evidence", to your local VARO, return receipt requested (I prefer FedEx, though, myself). As to whether you should send in "all" your claims on this form or not.......................I dunno. I, if it were me, would include all the claims that deal with specific "body parts" or that would be associated with each other (i.e., this is my Main Disability that I am claiming, these other two were aggravated by this Main Disability....).

that's what I'd do, but, then again, wtf do I know...........:rolleyes:

Larry,

Man - I feel for you.

Do you HAVE to take him on, like are you anyway legally obligated to do so ?

If not - I sure wouldn't BECAUSE YOU KNOW down the road, if he doesn't get

SC at 100 % - P&T- with 3 steps of SMC - with an effective date of day following separation,

he will end up referring to you as "that last SOB".

You know it's true :-)