VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

If One Claim In, Can I File Another Supportive One?

Rate this question

autumn

Question

PVA has my claim now working on getting the MS secondary issues lined out.

i have medical documentation that supports SC for another part of my spine that was injured while active duty. PVA said they don't want to file that yet and to wait until all this MS stuff is done.

would it be unwise to file the other claim myself? at the least to get the supportive data into my c-file? the VA raters are very busy as is the VA. my way of thinking, and it certainly could be wrong hence i ask you folks, is to get the supportive claim in.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well, sometimes if you file another claim, it can have a tendency to slow everything down. For awhile they had sequential EPs (end products), meaning that if someone filed another claim while the first was being worked on, it would be handled separately,. it was a great idea & it helped the raters get the work out faster. Then some genbius in Washington decided that ALL claims must be done at same time, so they took it away .....ergo now we are back to having to do everything at once. If we can rant & defer that's fine, but if there are denials & we hae to defer something, it all wait sin limbo until the last claim is ready. Depending on the stage your 1st claim is at, it;s probably best to wait...esp. if you are claiming spine as MS, & now want to claim it as directly s/c to service. That may confuse things.

i have medical documentation that supports SC for another part of my spine that was injured while active duty. PVA said they don't want to file that yet and to wait until all this MS stuff is done.

would it be unwise to file the other claim myself? at the least to get the supportive data into my c-file? the VA raters are very busy as is the VA. my way of thinking, and it certainly could be wrong hence i ask you folks, is to get the supportive claim in.

Well, sometimes if you file another claim, it can have a tendency to slow everything down. For awhile they had sequential EPs (end products), meaning that if someone filed another claim while the first was being worked on, it would be handled separately,. it was a great idea & it helped the raters get the work out faster. Then some genbius in Washington decided that ALL claims must be done at same time, so they took it away .....ergo now we are back to having to do everything at once. If we can rant & defer that's fine, but if there are denials & we hae to defer something, it all wait sin limbo until the last claim is ready. Depending on the stage your 1st claim is at, it;s probably best to wait...esp. if you are claiming spine as MS, & now want to claim it as directly s/c to service. That may confuse things.

ok, i wait then patience is a virtue at times.

i'm no medical person so i have no idea if my spine stuff is related to my MS, never thought of that. i had a cervical and lumbar injury while on active duty, two separate documented events. the MS thing just popped up at about the same time. some infection in the spine at the time so some docs say.

just looking at legal justifiable compensation for them (cervical & lumbar)

thanks for the reply

would it be unwise to file the other claim myself?

autum,

Since you have assigned a POA to your claim issues they certainly are NOT going

to want you submitting ANYTHING that you don't run by them first and they should be the

ones to submit it.

There is no way for an SO to properly represent you, when you do something they are not aware of.

My opinion on you submitting additional claim issues at this time is:

1) the earlier a claim issue is submitted - then if and when the issue is granted

it will have the earlier effective date.

or

2) with claim issues already in the works does the claimant want to throw a new

wrench into what they are currently waiting on.

To me, submitting additional claim issues - I would probably do so IF what I currently

had in the works had NOT been there quite awhile.

If I had signed a POA to a VSO - I would not submit anything without their knowing about it

and I would have them submit it.

autum,

Since you have assigned a POA to your claim issues they certainly are NOT going

to want you submitting ANYTHING that you don't run by them first and they should be the

ones to submit it.

There is no way for an SO to properly represent you, when you do something they are not aware of.

My opinion on you submitting additional claim issues at this time is:

1) the earlier a claim issue is submitted - then if and when the issue is granted

it will have the earlier effective date.

or

2) with claim issues already in the works does the claimant want to throw a new

wrench into what they are currently waiting on.

To me, submitting additional claim issues - I would probably do so IF what I currently

had in the works had NOT been there quite awhile.

If I had signed a POA to a VSO - I would not submit anything without their knowing about it

and I would have them submit it.

understood. pva doesn't want to submit anything new until the ms thing is completed.

the other claim(s) were originally filed late 80's early 90's so i could go back to those dates

thanks for your time