VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Bs

Rate this question

emandg

Question

Let me start it all off with my C&P results.

AXIS I - PTSD, Chronic alcholhism in remission

AXIS II - Deferred

AXIS III - See Medcial Records

AXIS IV - Served in Vietnam

AXIS V - GAF 70.

It goes on to list all the symptoms and that I have "PTSD related to his conceded combat experience".

The only actual paper test I was given in this process was something called a SIMS and it said that that my responses were NOT INDICIATIVE OF HONEST REPORTING or MALINGERING. Mother F*******. What else can I do, take my brain out and show them ? Being on an LZ that was overun with 50+ brothers killed, +150 wounded and OVER 100 GOONERS killed was something I saw in a movie ? I provided enough proof that I was there. I was not one of the ones that got "decorated" for it, I was just a ghost I guess.

It goes on to say that I do meet the requirment for PTSD under the CAPS. I don't remember even taking one of those. I do meet the DSM-IV criteria fr PTSD.

However,

The Occupation and and Social Impairment is all "No's" with an end of "Mental Disorder symptoms are not severe enough to interfere with occupational and social functioning." What kind of B.S. is this ? have been undergoing thereapy and meds for the last 2 years. I have been treated well by the V.A. up until I opened the and read the report in the parking lot of the V.A. Clinic.

I'm assuming I'm going to be denied any rating for the hell I have lived since my return from 'Nam. Can request a second C&P exam ? Who should I get some help from ? Is my claim salvagable ? I think I know what the rating is going to be.

I spoke to my V.A. Therapist and was told that because of the new rules for PTSD the C&P examiners feel powerless and they are taking it out on the vets. SHe said that based on the write up it looks like I would not be granted anything and to go ahead and submit an appeal on how I was treated and that all the xxxxxxx shit I went through in 'nam and have lived with for the last 40+ years was not something an xxxxxxx like that can just dust out of my head. She said that the new trick was to not send any rating determination out to let the time go by so it would be to late to file an appeal. Can I file an appeal of the C&P farce ? What the hell is wrong with this crap ?

Let me start it all off with my C&P results.

AXIS I - PTSD, Chronic alcholhism in remission

AXIS II - Deferred

AXIS III - See Medcial Records

AXIS IV - Served in Vietnam

AXIS V - GAF 70.

It goes on to list all the symptoms and that I have "PTSD related to his conceded combat experience".

Being on an LZ that was overun with 50+ brothers killed, +150 wounded and OVER 100 GOONERS killed was something I saw in a movie ? I provided enough proof that I was there. I was not one of the ones that got "decorated" for it, I was just a ghost I guess.

It goes on to say that I do meet the requirment for PTSD under the CAPS. I don't remember even taking one of those. I do meet the DSM-IV criteria fr PTSD.

I'm assuming I'm going to be denied any rating for the hell I have lived since my return from 'Nam. Can request a second C&P exam ?

eman,

Your stressor to PTSD has been conceded as due to combat.

A disability percentage has nothing to do with what you experienced in combat, it only involves how the

PTSD effects your daily life now.

CAPS is not some kind of test you take.

I feel your PTSD will probably be rated at somewhere between 10 and 50 percent.

You can contend that your C&P exam was inadequate - but that may not be the case.

I would wait for the Rating Decision, you might be surprised.

JMHO

Can you scan and post the entire C & P results here? Cover the personal stuff.

In my opinion the SIMS test is bull crap.I am surprised VA is giving this test. They should be administering the Combat Related MMPI.

For some reason the C & P said no to any significant occupational and social impairment and they had to give a good rationale for that.

Once you get the decision and the rating you can appeal it if it is too low.

PTSD ratings do not depend on multiple traumas you experienced in Vietnam.

They depend on the affect of the PTSD to your occupational and social ability.

I sure disagree with your VA therapist's take on the new PTSD rules.But no point in even getting into that.

Once you get the decision then you can appeal it.

eman,

Your stressor to PTSD has been conceded as due to combat.

A disability percentage has nothing to do with what you experienced in combat, it only involves how the

PTSD effects your daily life now.

CAPS is not some kind of test you take.

I feel your PTSD will probably be rated at somewhere between 10 and 50 percent.

You can contend that your C&P exam was inadequate - but that may not be the case.

I would wait for the Rating Decision, you might be surprised.

JMHO

Thanks for the second look, I am my own worst enemy. I like your liabilaity disclaimer, don't know how anyone would do that to you though. Your response gave me some encouragement - thanks Bro.

• HadIt.com Elder

eman - CAPS stands for Clinician Administered Ptsd Scale and here's a link: http://www.istss.org/ClinicianAdministeredPTSDScaleCAPS.htm

Wait for your decision before flying off the handle. At minimum you should get service-connection(SC), which is a big deal. SC is hard to get 35-40 yrs later, so be happy. If you are steadily employed, with minimal problems, same employer, etc., they will give you a low award. Your award is based on how the PTSD effects your daily life today and tomorrow, not how bad your stressor was 40 yrs ago. Hang in there. You'll win what you deserve but it may take some time. jmo

pr