VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I've Been Educated

Rate this question

dsgsr

Question

Went to the TBI clinic at Togus VA Hospital in Togus,Maine on the 15th. Referral from my VA PCP Dr.Grimes. (Little back ground) 1985 Car accident while on duty (Army Reserves) Hit head twice in windshield, don't remember impact. Saw car coming at me but don't remember anything until few Min's after the accident. Had concussion for 1.5 months after. Have had minor headaches in the area of trauma since. Last few yrs. they have gotten worse with moments of sever pain. Not often, maybe couple times a month. Have lost all taste, my smeller is messed up. Very forgetful, once in a while a little dizzy.

TBI Doctor tells me it's all do to my drinking beer. I don't have TBI. TBI is at it's worst when incident happens and only gets better from there. You don't have problems later in life.

I hope you all feel as Educated as I do??????????

David

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

There is a rating for pain and/or depression. Why I say not to tell the VA about drinking problems is that the VA will blame everything on your drinking. The same thing about illegal drugs. If it is in your urine then you have to admit it. If you stay drunk and sober up three days before you give urine then don't tell them you are staying drunk or taking an illegal drug. The VA should know this is a symptom of mental disorder. However, they tend to tie drinking and illegal drug use to personality disorders. This is really bad news. It is bad enough if they know you have mental health DX because medical doctors will presume your problems are mental and not go the whole nine yards to find a physical cause for some problems. What you want to project is that you are a perfect and compliant patient. All your problems are caused by factors out of your control. You were healthy in every way before military service. Now your health is wrecked because of military service. This may sound cynical but it will pay off years from now. As you get older your health is not going to get better. If you can tie future problems to military service that is good. If you drink or drug the VA will make it much harder. The VA is going to try and get by with the least without your helping them do it to you. This is my opinion.

All good information john999, Thank you. I have a rating for Depression and I'm assuming the ratings on the other 5-things are because of pain. I understand the projection thing, I just don't care. I drink Beer most evenings to make me feel better (pain wise and depression wise) It is not out of control, I don't have too drink, Thank my lucky stars I don't have the alcohol bug. I know the symptoms I have had since the accident ref. TBI. I guess theres just no way to force the VA to believe me. I didn't know there was such a rating for TBI until I found this site & read the regs. I probably shouldn't rock the boat, I'm already 100% P&T and don't want the VA messing with that.

Thanks,

David

• HadIt.com Elder

dsgr

You might be able to get some extra money via a SMC if you get rated for TBI. I say that if you have a serious disability then you should get it rated if possible even if you are 100%. Now little things that will net you 0% forever I would not bother with, but anything that could get worse or cause death then claim it.

dsgr

You might be able to get some extra money via a SMC if you get rated for TBI. I say that if you have a serious disability then you should get it rated if possible even if you are 100%. Now little things that will net you 0% forever I would not bother with, but anything that could get worse or cause death then claim it.

But John, If the VA already has a (So called) TBI doc. saying I don't have it ,what can I do. Other than the symptoms I have, the only other evidence is the hospital report and my civilian Doc. notations in 1985 of the head contusions and concussion. Will that be enough?

Thanks,

David

Edited by dsgsr

But John, If the VA already has a (So called) TBI doc. saying I don't have it ,what can I do. Other than the symptoms I have, the only other evidence is the hospital report and my civilian Doc. notations in 1985 of the head contusions and concussion. Will that be enough?

Thanks,

David

No, it won't be enough.

In order to pursue a TBI claim, you will need 'objective' tests to confirm/prove a DX for TBI. Objective tests are imaging such as CT, MRI and SPECT or Neuro-Psychological tests. 'Subjective' symptoms can get a TBI DX and now get better ratings but is less likely, especially for head injuries that occured years prior.

If you wish to pursue it, my opinion is you will need to seek private Neuro-Psychological testing.

No, it won't be enough.

In order to pursue a TBI claim, you will need 'objective' tests to confirm/prove a DX for TBI. Objective tests are imaging such as CT, MRI and SPECT or Neuro-Psychological tests. 'Subjective' symptoms can get a TBI DX and now get better ratings but is less likely, especially for head injuries that occured years prior.

If you wish to pursue it, my opinion is you will need to seek private Neuro-Psychological testing.

Thanks Timetowinarace, I can't afford private Neuro-Psychological testing, So I guess thats out.

Thanks again everyone,

David