VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Aortic Aneurysm

Rate this question

RDT

Question

They VA combined my AA and CAD as one. Is this correct?

They stated; Abdominal aortic pain or aortic aneurysm is incorporated into the overall impression of your coronary artery disease,status pos coronary artery bypass graft.

Thanks

RDT

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Unbelievable, they're watching the size of your aneurysm??????? I'd check on that!!!! I spent about 10yrs, '75-'85, as an EMT, and to my knowledge, when an aortic aneurysm blows you have seconds to minutes, to survive. The bleedout could be so fast that you couldn't dial 911, depending on the size of the blowout. If it were me I'd do some research.

I was resently told, by my CBOC doc, the VA is recommending scans for Nam Vets, over age 50yrs. Interesting!!! Maybe AO related??? jmo

pr

Hi,

I had a heart attack and 5 way bypass eleven year ago when I was 49.

I had pain in my arm pit three year ago and that is when my VA doctor scheduled a sonic-gram and found the aneurysm.

She is watching the size every 6 months to keep a handle on it.

RDT

Chuck is right.

I bumped up the VA's definition of IHD.

If a doctor can state with full medical rationale that the aneuryism is related to the IHD medically,they would have to SC it if the IHD is SCed.

I agree with how Chuck put this as well -as how the VA would actually rate this.That is hard to determine.

Thank You for the information. I have an appointment to have it check and will see how the Doctor write the report.

I will post the VA decision when I get the responds back.

RDT.

• HadIt.com Elder

The key seems to be related to the size of the aortic aneurysm and a bunch of other factors, such as blood pressure control, surgical risks associated with heart conditions, etc.

There is a % of increase over normal that is judged as cause for immediate surgery. Basically, a mesh tube (It's an ugly looking thing!) is placed/ sewn over the aortic aneurysm if the aneurysm cannot be removed.

It's quite true that a "blowout" is often fatal, even when emergency surgery is attempted. Time is a very critical factor. Immediate availability of an open heart class surgical support team, surgeon, and the associated equipment

may be needed.

Although the VA has so far refused to SC high blood pressure as A. O. presumptive, various studies, starting with "Ranch Hand", and including the one used to to justify the IHD presumption decision show the same statistical

association that IHD has. Far more Veterans of the Vietnam Era have HBP than IHD, (even if it's "just age related"), and undiagnosed/untreated HPB can eventually lead to IHD.

Unbelievable, they're watching the size of your aneurysm??????? I'd check on that!!!! I spent about 10yrs, '75-'85, as an EMT, and to my knowledge, when an aortic aneurysm blows you have seconds to minutes, to survive. The bleedout could be so fast that you couldn't dial 911, depending on the size of the blowout. If it were me I'd do some research.

I was recently told, by my CBOC doc, the VA is recommending scans for Nam Vets, over age 50yrs. Interesting!!! Maybe AO related??? jmo

pr