VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Il ?

Rate this question

ren

Question

Greetings

I was approved for and am in the Independent living program. They did the home visit and threww out the standard goodies, ie backscrubber, mattress topper, elastic laces ans such. I asked about a computer to communicate with family and order meds and such. I was quickly told they DONT provide vets with computers. They did however get me an electronic rolodex (useless) they saw how this would not work and got me a PDA , yes a PDA in 2010, I personally delivered this back to the vendor. A month later,and a call to his supervisor, they got me a laptop, and it is quite helpful.

NOW - I have arthritus in my back and both knees, my orthopedic doc reccommended hydrotherapy for exercise and pain relief, it was very helpful, and this is documented in my files. My mood disorder prevents me from much public places so I have since recieved a letter from our pain clinic director reccommending a home based aquatic unit for me. I have took all this info to my IL person on Feb 1, who at first ignored it, then after multiple Emails, I called and he said "they can not provide hot tubs, or exercise equipment because of the liability factor". Bottom line is, I dont know if this is truly the case. I am not sure which direction to turn. I would love some input from fellow members, is exercise equipment out or not ? Any help or direction would be great.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

ren - you need to apply for everything "in writing." Nothing they "tell" you needs to be true. They cannot be held responsible for anything they say. I know they do provide hot tubs/spas and most likely exercise equipment, if you can get your doctor to write a prescription, for it.

pr

Greetings

I was approved for and am in the Independent living program. They did the home visit and threww out the standard goodies, ie backscrubber, mattress topper, elastic laces ans such. I asked about a computer to communicate with family and order meds and such. I was quickly told they DONT provide vets with computers. They did however get me an electronic rolodex (useless) they saw how this would not work and got me a PDA , yes a PDA in 2010, I personally delivered this back to the vendor. A month later,and a call to his supervisor, they got me a laptop, and it is quite helpful.

NOW - I have arthritus in my back and both knees, my orthopedic doc reccommended hydrotherapy for exercise and pain relief, it was very helpful, and this is documented in my files. My mood disorder prevents me from much public places so I have since recieved a letter from our pain clinic director reccommending a home based aquatic unit for me. I have took all this info to my IL person on Feb 1, who at first ignored it, then after multiple Emails, I called and he said "they can not provide hot tubs, or exercise equipment because of the liability factor". Bottom line is, I dont know if this is truly the case. I am not sure which direction to turn. I would love some input from fellow members, is exercise equipment out or not ? Any help or direction would be great.

Thanks for the reply, and that is very interesting that you quoted "Tell" because my councilor has been very polite (on the phone) and even added that he would respond in writing, but he hasnt, and my time in the program runs out in a couple months, perhaps he is waiting it out, at least that is what I am left to believe at this point, I will make it a point this week to get something in writing.

Our ILP rep said they do not provide hot tube or aquatic theray pools but they can get your doctor to put in for a HISA home improvement grant to have a bathroom remodeled for access and hydrotherapy. The HISA grant is administered by the prosthetics department at your VA medical center, and the equipment is not available through the ILP who can only provide equipment not available through prosthetics. Most of the time they are just acting as a liason between you your doctor and prosthetics, that is why grab bars and back-scratchers are the most common items. Even though they have a $25,000 local budget per veteran they sure don;t like to spend it and by law and regulation can only spend it on things not available through prosthetics.

Becuase of this even if your program runs out before the work is completed it on a HISA grant, it doesn't matter because it's with the Prosthetics department not the ILP.

Thanks for the reply, and that is very interesting that you quoted "Tell" because my councilor has been very polite (on the phone) and even added that he would respond in writing, but he hasnt, and my time in the program runs out in a couple months, perhaps he is waiting it out, at least that is what I am left to believe at this point, I will make it a point this week to get something in writing.