VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Close To An Envelope

Rate this question

Sapper

Question

Hi Everyone,

I filed for TDIU for my PTSD/Migraines/Neck/Back/Tinnitus problems. I am currently at 80% total. 70% PTSD, 10% Neck, 10% Back, and 10% Tinnitus. My claim as been going since June 28th of 2010. I have just found out from my American Legion rep that my claim is in the notification phase. I couldn't quite squeeze the answer out of them yet, so my anxiety is going through the roof. I called this morning and spoke to a gentleman, and he told me that "some of it looks really good" He let me know that my migraines were being deferred to being service connected, but he did say that it stated something about being eligible for Chapter 35 benefits. It sounds like they're going to grant me TDIU. I know I'm counting my chickens before they hatch, so I will keep calling them every day this week until I find out the Award Letter has been submitted.

It has been a long road (even though it's really not compared to some veterans) but I'm glad it's close to being over. I'm doing my best to keep positive until I find out the definite answer.

Another question I do have, is that I am recieving SSDI, which I submitted to the VA in support of my TDIU claim. I have read that it is possible to get a TDIU to backdate to your SSDI award date. Is this really possible? I asked the American Legion rep about this, and his response was, "The VA will not pay back to the SSDI date because the TDIU claim was not submitted before the SSDI award date, so it would only backdate to my TDIU claim date of June 28th. My SSDI award date backdated to July of 2009, so that's a big pay difference.

As I stated before, I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but my stomach is in knots, and I'm sure I won't be able to sleep even as good as I can with the pills until I find out my definite answer. I will keep all of you posted, and hopefully I'll be posting in the success stories area by the end of the week. Thank you all for your input, and for giving me a kick in the rear to get the paperwork going to the VA and SSDI. Without everyone's help, I'm sure I wouldn't have filed for SSDI yet, as I didn't know I really could. Thank you all, Hadit.com members!

-Sapper724-

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Just got this messege from IRIS

Thank you for your inquiry to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) dated March 2, 2011.

Our records indicate your claim was completed on March 3, 2011. A letter of notification was mailed to your address on the same date. The letter should arrive soon. VA policy does not allow us to provide you with specific information as to the outcome of your claim until you receive written notification. Please find our contact information below, should you have questions once your letter arrives.

Award letter is on the way, I am physically ill, I am so natious right now. I finally won and I am so sick, how can this be?

Check e-benefits site if you have access to it. Check the letter generator and see if you can pull up a letter with your info with current disability on it.

These are the steps to use the letter generator(if it is up to date for your claim)

1. Go to Dash board

2. In the middle-shows applications for benefits-scroll down to Utilities

3. Click on letter Generator

4. Go to Step 2(right side) click on benefit verification

5. This should show your current disability, signed with today's date

5. There are other letters that you can print out here as well.

Example of form that you will see

Dear Mr.--------

This letter certifies that(your NAme) is receiving service-connected disability compensation from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

The current benefit paid is as follows:

Gross Benefit Amount - $

Net Amount Paid-$

Effective Date (-Date of Your Current Compensation Update)

Hopefully this works and this shows any update to your claim before you actually see the letter or the eagles hit the bank. This will also show your your disability pay as well

Edited by COOL BREEZE

• HadIt.com Elder

If the VA knew you were on SSDI for a SC condition then I think you do have an inferred claim for TDIU. That could affect your effective date. Now you will have to fight for this. If it is significant money I might get my ducks in a row and prepare for appeals. The VA will try and avoid awarding an EED based on SSDI award because it opens the door for more claims. I know a vet who was on SSDI for years before he got TDIU for the same condition. He never would have gotten TDIU until he filed for it and the VA fought his TDIU claim.

Check e-benefits site if you have access to it. Check the letter generator and see if you can pull up a letter with your info with current disability on it.

These are the steps to use the letter generator(if it is up to date for your claim)

1. Go to Dash board

2. In the middle-shows applications for benefits-scroll down to Utilities

3. Click on letter Generator

4. Go to Step 2(right side) click on benefit verification

5. This should show your current disability, signed with today's date

5. There are other letters that you can print out here as well.

Hopefully this works and this shows any update to your claim before you actually see the letter or the eagles hit the bank. This will also show your your disability pay as well

For some reason I can access any of that on ebenefits, I have full access to myhealthevet and did an update under DOD, can link through there but can not access anything. Got my brown envelope today. I have a call in to the authorization lady to get full access.